Help! figuring out what lights I need!

OK, Here's my flower room and a half finished CFL reflector. I need to know if off white is good enough for the 2 walls. I'm planning on leaving this closet door open with a crack on the other side of the door to let the air out. I'd have the front of this area open to the room and one side open to a bunch of boxes. I can cover the heating vent or open a window. Was planning on a large fan blowing in air along with the ceiling fan.

I'll try out that 150W HPS and move the 8 CFLs in here too. (half are 2700)The other two will go in the veggy room with the T5s. I'll use the clothes bar to hang all of these up. The space is 32"x24", the size of the little table. I have a piece of metallic bubble insulation to put above the lights.

Will this work? I can keep it cool with the open sides, but can't do that and have reflective sides. LMK if there is a better way to go about this...

flower_area.jpg

cfls2.jpg

I know, but I'm moving out of this place in under 6 months. I don't want to paint the closet since it won't match the room. Kooky land lord. ;-( I'd only have 2 walls of off white, then the rest open space. Would this work out? I could close the closet door and have one open space... not sure if it's enough air to control the heat. Dang heat!!!

Is this spot ok otherwise? Are my CFLs and 150W enough for this area, 3-4 plants? The only venting will be an open door.

I'm considering just buying a complete tent set up rather than fret about all of these individual items. Light and smell proof sounds kinda good! With no light or smell, I could open up the windows and avoid the mother in Law. :-D

I was thinking of a system like this, add lights already have soil and pots:

GrowLab GL80L w/ Accessory Kit | BGH
GrowLab GL80 w/ Accessory Kit | BGH
GrowLab GL120 w/ Accessory Kit | BGH

I don't need stealth much, but also don't want lights showing outside. My veg light is seen outside despite my attempts to block it. It can't be much cheaper to buy the parts separately... Smell control, bug control... I can afford this. Question is, is it worth the $$?! I've never grown inside for flowering and have only grown outside, buds ready to harvest soon. I don't think I'll be giving up on this soon. I can't afford to buy finished product in the amount I need to replace narcotics...

Any thoughts on this? I'd only be out $90 for the 150W light. Is controlling the heat in a tent with good vent fans a bit easier? The max light I'd get would be a 400W I like that I can move my CFLs where they are needed the most. I found a few spider mites on one plant so i have the inside plants divided into 4 locations, each with 2-4 CFLs, in order to prevent or identify more mites. I didn't have a single mite all summer outside. This sucks!! Tent would keep all these bugs out, well except tiny mites.

Heat control will always be an issue. Maybe a 400W with my CFLS could go in a tent. Not sure how much space a 150W and Cfls cover. I'm too drugged up on pain killers to make decisions, good or bad. :-(

Hmmm this grow tent is really starting to sound like the solution. My head hurts from debating all the options and choices. I got $5oo for my birthday and could use the 150WHPS and cfls for practice until I decide which light to get...

Is this a good choice?? I added up the cost of all the accessories listed and came to $509, plus shipping and tax. THe HTG tents are cheaper, but sound like junk. I HATE wasting money, but I'm wasting so much time debating this that the $$ sounds better for my health. It's 2am and I forgot to eat dinner while staring at the computer. Ack!

GrowLab GL120 w/ Accessory Kit | BGH

I personally don't have any experiance with tents, but it looks like you've given it good consideration.

Keep an eye on those spidermites, they can overwhelm you quickly!

I applaud your determination to weigh thru all of the info that can be a little staggering at first....:)

TY HD! I'm pretty dang stubborn. LOL! Thinking about all of these things is driving me nuts. I'm ready to cough up the $$ and do it right instead of nickle and diming everythung and DIY. So, the tent looks like a good idea? Do you think I should try my 150W and CFLs in this before buying a light? Stealthy might mean more open doors and windows to let in air. I still might go outside again for the summer.

It must be the weather and start of the rain that has made the bugs happy. I found spider mites on every non MJ plant, which I had given up to the caterpillars long ago. Worse, I found a few mites on two of the full flowering plants outside and the last one to bring in. I think I've beaten off the nasty ones indoors, depends on if the eggs will still hatch and how long. The clones and plant I soaked in very soapy water are doing good. Now the indoor female and the last mid sized gal outside.

The outside plants... hell, I don't know what to do. If you want some good laughs, check out my experimental bug 'n' bud bath. I'm still cold from it :p Desperate times need desperate matters.... hehe :
Frost and havesting my buds, need advice!

I looked at the plant an hour ago and she's perking back up. LOL!!!

So, the tent looks like a good idea? Do you think I should try my 150W and CFLs in this before buying a light?

Looks like it would be a better choice than the closet. They will certainly work for vegging and that will give you time to solidify your plan for flower.

There are many grows here in tents, so you could check those out for ideas. Also, if you haven't been to The VipersNest Continuous, check it out. Pit is our Resident Connoisseur and he does amazing things in tents!

Best of luck to you Lusi!

The VipersNest Continuous

TY, I'll check him out.

Since I've found spider mites on all plants but 3, I'm a bit worried. With a tent, I can put those infested mid sided plants in there (2 of them) while vegging new plants. Then harvest the mite plants (After doing everything possible to kill them) spray bleach or bomb the tent and move the next batch in with no worry. I'd try the continuous harvest after that.

Do you think this will work? Is it fairly easy to sterilize the tent again? My 3 new seedlings have all turned yellow and died so I must start over from seed again. What a waste of $$ those White label seeds were. Only one plant survived out of 10. Shiva Shanti was much easier to grow.

Which size tent do you think I should get? I'm leaning towards the 120, but must take some measurements again.

Back to the lights... I could sell that 150W unopened, or try it out with the CFLs until later.

I had planned on a 400W with CFL side lighting for that room it my CFL test crashed, but the 600W is more efficient. Is a 600W a lot hotter than a 400W or would they both need a lot of venting?

I absolutely would not recommend putting mite infested plants in a new tent! You need to deal with the infestation asap....those little bastards can cripple your grow. One of the sponsors of 420 sells the best product I've used on spidermites.

SNS 217 MITE SPRAY

You can veg with just the flouros in case you want to leave the option of dumping the 150 for a 400w or 600w. Hell, you could do the whole grow with flouros as you must live where it's warm.

Don't know what to say about which tent as I have no experiance with them....

Well Mr. Hogdaddy and folks... I took my room measurements and discovered there is a low 6 foot high shelf along the free wall. :-( I found one possible spot to squeeze in the 120 model, but the 80L model looks like a better fit. The 80 could go anywhere.

My question about the 80L is how the HPS lights work. This model will hold a 4x2 foot tray for a grow area. Would a 400W light have enough coverage to the long sides if I use the CFLs too? Here's what the description says to use:
The Grow Lab GL80L is perfect for a veg room or small flowering room. Perfect for holding one 2' x 4' tray, this room works great with one 400 or 600 watt lighting system, or a 4' T5 fluorescent lighting system (an 8 lamp fixture works best).​

A 600W is possible if I can cool it. I hope to god to move out of here after I take this land lord to court and call the board of health on this place. Until then, I'm stuck using this one room full of boxes.

The grow lab 120 has a 3x3' grow area, 9 sq feet (real size 3'11"x3'11")
The grow lab 80L has a 2x4 grow area, 8 sq feet (real size 2'7"x 4'11")
these both say to use a 4ooW or 600W light
the GL 80 seems too small for the same cost, however it is shorter and fits under the 6 foot high shelf.

Since the grow lights aren't square... I thought they might to better with the wider room. The plants would be easier to reach this way. Is this true or just in my head? SUch a HUGE tent for so little a space!! Why is the darn thing so tall?

Mr Hog :-D, I made a photo shop drawing of this room. I don't know how I would vent these or what side the hose, fan and filter hook on or how much extra space that takes. The sliding window has the screen on the right side of the room, if I needed to send air in or out. That darn fixed shelf on that side means I have to pull the tent away from the R side wall 8". The cats would be in heaven back there! LOL The 120 would only work on the left because of that 8" shelf on this side. I guess I could put it in front of the window, but it would be hard to open then.

Please let me know what ya think! My better half comes home at the end of the week. I'd guess I'd better wait until next week to buy it. I want it done and over with!!! Argh!

TY for your help, this is awesome to find out about tents, CFLs, and more. Neat website. I can hold off on the light until Christmas. I have two flowering plants that need a light right now. Is the 150 and CFLs OK for this? Hate opening it unless I plan to keep it. My outdoor harvest, first grow, is almost ready. Might have to take it early because of spider mites. ick!

OK, here's my drawing I blew a few hours on. LOL!: (BTW, this room is stuffed with moving boxes and was to be my studio. No point in it now)
dream_tents_tiny1.jpg

I just hooked up the 150HPS. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's easier to look right at this than a 42W CFL!! However, the little thing kicks out heat!!
With the 250W of CFLS, it was still not enough to flower 3 plants. I have 2 medium sized ones in there now with all the bulbs in use.
CFS and that set up above just aren't going to be enough for my ordered tent2'11"x3'11"x6'7" with a 3x3 grow space.

I'm now considering the 400W HPS, alone with no CFLs or perhaps LEDs any ides here? 600W if it's reall needed for that area... seems a bit much!

TY!!

Back
Top Bottom