Help, I accidentally left a light on

Pngmc

420 Member
I'm freaking out, beginning of week 8 in flower I checked everything just before lights out. The 4x4 tent is in a 11x11 room. The two lower 4"×8" velcro panels were off( allowing light to pass through) and one 8" vent was open. When I left the room I left the rooms light on. Am I screwed?

I'm freaking out, beginning of week 8 in flower I checked everything just before lights out. The 4x4 tent is in a 11x11 room. The two lower 4"×8" velcro panels were off( allowing light to pass through) and one 8" vent was open. When I left the room I left the rooms light on. Am I screwed?
You're probably ok.
How long is the flowering period of the strain you're growing, and are you counting from flip, or first sign of buds building?
You should check the area of the plant(s) nearest the vent for any signs of nanners for a while, but if the plants weren't under any other stress one incident shouldn't do much.
Do you have any pics of the plants?

I mess up closing the door to my flower room all the time, even at times,forgetting to close it all some nights, not often but it happens,,

Rarely causes any issues, ever

You're probably ok.
How long is the flowering period of the strain you're growing, and are you counting from flip, or first sign of buds building?
You should check the area of the plant(s) nearest the vent for any signs of nanners for a while, but if the plants weren't under any other stress one incident shouldn't do much.
Do you have any pics of the plants?
The lights remained on for 3 hours and last night I future a trellis net up to support the buds and allow more light so I assume that was stressful too. I'll attach a picture but it was over a week ago. I'm counting from flip, 10 days later for pistols

20220621_065135.jpg

I have grown outside since 2018. My first grow in 2018, I knew nothing about photo period plants or their light schedules. I had been given some cuttings in the spring and decided to root them and grow them. I had my plants on my back porch which has a motion detector light. Every time I went outside or my dog went outside it made the light go on and stay on for 10 minutes. I'm a night owl so I was in and out and my dog was in and out all night, plus my neighbor's back porch light would sometimes be on all night. I would up having a great first grow and harvest with no hermies. The next year I got more cuttings and I finally learned about the light cycle but I still wasn't very careful and would sometimes forget to turn the motion light off and I still had my neighbor's back light coming on and sometimes being left on all night and I still had a great harvest with no hermies. So I think you will be fine.

I have grown outside since 2018. My first grow in 2018, I knew nothing about photo period plants or their light schedules. I had been given some cuttings in the spring and decided to root them and grow them. I had my plants on my back porch which has a motion detector light. Every time I went outside or my dog went outside it made the light go on and stay on for 10 minutes. I'm a night owl so I was in and out and my dog was in and out all night, plus my neighbor's back porch light would sometimes be on all night. I would up having a great first grow and harvest with no hermies. The next year I got more cuttings and I finally learned about the light cycle but I still wasn't very careful and would sometimes forget to turn the motion light off and I still had my neighbor's back light coming on and sometimes being left on all night and I still had a great harvest with no hermies. So I think you will be fine.
Same here as far as experiencing any sort of male flower and/or seed problem that could be blamed on a couple of lights.; it does not happen. When I used a cabinet for the flowering plants there were light leaks and nothing went wrong. Same sort of situation with the plants that were outside being lit up by the porch/patio light, neighbor's lights or street lights.

For the past year the tent has had a gap in the door zipper to help control heat. Even though the rest of the room is lit up from the lights over the veg area for several more hours in the evening and several in the morning none of the plants has started to produce any male flowers or surprise seeds. I even forgot to close the door at all several times and have left the room light on all night.

I am of the belief that the myth that occasional lights or even a near constant dim light at night will cause male flowers and seeds was developed by growers who needed a reason to explain why their female plant had seeds.

Now we know that a female plant that develops seeds often does it because it was not pollinated and will develop male flowers to get the pollen. And the seeds from those plants will tend to show male flowers even earlier in the flowering stage and show more of them.

I stopped worrying about the light and life became simpler and easier to enjoy.:)

My experience is genetics causes herms. My pot condo is not entirely light proof, I don't get herms from solid genetics ever.

What I do get when my timer burns up at the ON position in a flower room and is that way for many days in a row before it's noticed is REVEG. You'd need alot of time go by with full veg length light to start that, but if you are relitively ignorant like me and something starts looking funky, look at your timer! CHeers! :yahoo:

My experience is genetics causes herms. My pot condo is not entirely light proof, I don't get herms from solid genetics ever.
Yep.

There was a thread about 2 years ago on this topic. Many growers wrote that they had light leaks near the ports on the side of the tent, zippers that no longer worked, or worn out material or light coming in from a closet door that did not close tight or any other reason they had the leaks would report no problems.

My experience has been any new plant I have that does not start to show male flowers by the 10th week is good-to-go and has good genetics as you say.

As opposed to plants that start to produce the male flowers after 3 weeks or so of flowering which means that those flowers have to be cut or pinched off every week or so.

Back
Top Bottom