Help - I really need advice on tap water

static123

Hi I really hope someone can help I am little stuck.

I am growing two CBD Crews Critical mass under a 400 HPS, the medium I am using is Canna Terra Professional Plus soil NPK — 12-14-24
Contains: peat, dolomite lime and NPK fertiliser
pH level: 6.0
EC level: 1.0

These plants will be for my wife who suffers from MS, amazing results from this same strain so far from my first very lucky grow.

I have watered them only one time so far and it was plain tap water, the PH is 7.8 and this is my concern and confusion, well more confusion probably.

I have spent the last few days reading all over to try and work out if i should be adjusting my plain tap water's ph down. from reading around It seems there is a lot of disagreement with regards to ph correcting in soil grows,
I am very much still a beginner and I am trying my hardest to learn from others and hopefully in the future my own experience.

Canna says I don't need to worry about adding any nutrients for at leat 6 weeks so I plan to use just normal water but should i be adjusting it. I am guessing once i start to add nutrients (biobizz & advanced metabost)the ph should come down to at least 7 so will i still need to be adjusting then to? Put for now I just need to no about plain water.

really hope someone can help, they need a drink tomorrow and I don't want to start of on the wrong foot if possible.

Many thanks as always.

If the water/soil isn't around a specific ph level then your plants may not be able take in the nutrients that they will sooner or later need. It's really simple and easy to adjust ph level just get some ph up and ph down they are both fairly inexpensive.

Hi and thanks for you reply, I already have all the bits i need to adjust ph and I fully understand the process needed I am just to sure if I should in a soil grow and

STATIC! Whoa, 7.8 is way too damn high brochacho. You wanna stay between 6.4-6.8 That's the happy zone. And believe it or not, hydro is even lower. You never ever wanna be above 6.8 really. Anything higher and you'll burn out your bud site's.

And as for the question of tap water. Believe it or not, I really like tap water. Most tap water has minerals you need in it already. Iron, zinc, calcium and magnesium. Alot of people still freak out cause of chlorine but the truth is, chlorine isn't going to hurt your plant because it's very minimal. You need high doses of chlorine to kill a plant. And with minimal amounts of chlorine, simply let it sit out for about 4-6 hour's and it'll disipate, then you can use it.

My tap water comes out at 6.8 and after I add my nutes, which is just a seaweed extract, my pH doesn't lower much. I some water and walk away.

Sent from my SM-N900T using 420

Hi Static,

Most soils will have dolomite lime or something like oyster shells or other ph buffers in them. They buffer from lower ph to higher ph much more efficiently that they buffer high to low. For example, your soil will buffer 6.2ph water to a more neutral level much more easily tha it will buffer from 7.8 to neutral. Al is correct, you want to buffer your ph to somewhere between 6.2 and 6.8. Most growers shoot for 6.5. When you add nutes to your water, you will also want to make sure you are buffered to 6.5. A lot of nutes, and even calmag, will bring your ph down into the 4s. They come with a very low ph so they will last on the shelf. Make sure you buffer.
Good Luck.

Thank you so much guys, you have given me confidence and this evening I have given them a drink with a PH of 6.5, the water had been sitting there for 24 hours before I corrected so I should be good to go now.

Thank you once again, man I love this place :thumb:

Anytime brother! Just be patient and learn how to relax. I totally understand your dilemma though. If you ever need anything, feel free to message me directly...

Sent from my SM-N900T using 420

Back
Top Bottom