Help! It's my 1st grow and I'm struggling to tell the sex of this plant

Seems like when you post in an effort to offer others advice derived over the years of personal experience, others will contradict what you have to say. You know what they say opinions are Iike ( ***) everybody has one. However we interact with each other here on this forum should remain respectful and courteous in an effort to share information with one another. Go ahead all you bag seed growers have fun in your efforts good luck and prosper, best wishes to you.

I stopped pressing send/post.

I have been doing this more and more.

I read an opinion I disagree with, or something worse, that I feel I need to address. Write out my reply, and then move on to another post, never pressing send. Although sometimes I press send still lol.

I still get to voice my opinion. But saves me the headache of butthurting folks. It’s the same advice that the old folks used to give, write a letter but don’t mail it.

Let it be read..then edit it so others don't have to :passitleft:

Yeah. Next time I'll buy some proper seeds. But I just thought: "Stick them in soil and see if they grow." And it just went from there. :)

THis is a good plan. Develop your growing skills then buy some seeds.

I had some self seeders last summer. Just a few seeds on 3 plants.

The seeds are easy to remove and once done, the flowers can be processed in any way you prefer. Cob, edible oil, vape, smoke, whatever. The quality and volume of cannabinoids appears to be the same.

I had some self seeders last summer. Just a few seeds on 3 plants.

The seeds are easy to remove and once done, the flowers can be processed in any way you prefer. Cob, edible oil, vape, smoke, whatever. The quality and volume of cannabinoids appears to be the same.

I mostly vape, and it's all for personal use, so I'm hoping it isn't too bad. It looks like it may have been the stress of topping/trimming before putting into flower. Or maybe it's genetic. Who knows? :)

Because I read so much about nutrients, and didn't want to mess it up, all I did was use perlite, vermiculite, and a good compost. It seemed like lots of people having problems were coming back to over-use of nutrients as the cause, so I thought it was best to avoid them to begin with. And I think they've grown pretty well. But maybe not having enough nutrients might have caused it, too. :rolleyes:

Either way, I really do appreciate all the advice. I saw things got a bit heated, and I hope that was nothing to do with what I wrote. I was only trying to point out that advice varies a lot, so it can be difficult to make a call on what to do.

Dan

Going back to your original post. Think about it, if there are seeds in your bag, then you grow them out, doesn't that make the original plant a hermaphrodite. Ultimately by growing out bagseed, you are exponentially increasing the possibilities of doing exactly the same thing.
I've hermie good genetics by loving my plants too much, we all have.
I agree, get the growing pains out of the way on bagseed, but for stable results, good genetics are key.

Going back to your original post. Think about it, if there are seeds in your bag, then you grow them out, doesn't that make the original plant a hermaphrodite. Ultimately by growing out bagseed, you are exponentially increasing the possibilities of doing exactly the same thing.
I've hermie good genetics by loving my plants too much, we all have.
I agree, get the growing pains out of the way on bagseed, but for stable results, good genetics are key.

Thanks for the advice. I see you grew some Gorilla Glue. How was it to grow? It's one of my favourite strains (so long as you don't have anything that you need to do for an hour or so).

A favorite of mine as well.....one of, lol.
Horrible to trim though. I bought a second pair of scissors specifically because of that strain LMAO.

I mostly vape, and it's all for personal use, so I'm hoping it isn't too bad. It looks like it may have been the stress of topping/trimming before putting into flower. Or maybe it's genetic. Who knows? :)

Because I read so much about nutrients, and didn't want to mess it up, all I did was use perlite, vermiculite, and a good compost. It seemed like lots of people having problems were coming back to over-use of nutrients as the cause, so I thought it was best to avoid them to begin with. And I think they've grown pretty well. But maybe not having enough nutrients might have caused it, too. :rolleyes:

Either way, I really do appreciate all the advice. I saw things got a bit heated, and I hope that was nothing to do with what I wrote. I was only trying to point out that advice varies a lot, so it can be difficult to make a call on what to do.

Dan
Heated cause folks like muppet others bullshit untill it becomes fact, without any real life experience, most not even have done what they warn others not too.. because that's what they read .. done it myself, trying to give right advice but different to what I've experienced... happens alot on this site/in the cannabis community...

Yeah. Next time I'll buy some proper seeds. But I just thought: "Stick them in soil and see if they grow." And it just went from there. :)

Prolly how almost all of us got started here I'm thinking.

Time will tell. You get male and female bits on the same plant - toss is what should be done.

Sometimes a plant will throw out a male bit down low - only 1 or 2. These can be cut off early before there are ball sacks and usually the plant will continue on and grow all flowers.

I just got 1 seed from a plant that did this.

Bobrown, on another topic/cause your here

Change water every morning :thumb: :):passitleft:

Heated cause folks like muppet others bullshit untill it becomes fact, without any real life experience, most not even have done what they warn others not too.. because that's what they read .. done it myself, trying to give right advice but different to what I've experienced... happens alot on this site/in the cannabis community...
Not true from actual growing experience over the last 32 years.

if your been growing 32 years, you should know...

Cut off any Male bits you see. Keep removing... Seeded buds, still smoke (some of the best over the years but that's another story), so it's really matter of time invested so far vs product already available to you... As for selfed seeds, throw away, birdfeed. If pollinated other stable plants, grow some out for yourself, you could be surprised...

Ruh Rohh Roobie, pretty sure my gifted LA Confidential seeds came from a gender confused female...can someone explain to me what seed/plant/bud issues this could cause?

Bobrown, on another topic/cause your here

Change water every morning :thumb::):passitleft:

Yes I try too change daily. Been getting better results in a glass of water than with my special fancy pants cloner.

This is a common topic - seeds on female plants.

Here's how I see it and most of this is from experience and knowledge gained thru actually reading the science.

Cannabis plants learned how to self pollinate a very very long time ago.

There are 3 different ways this can happen

1 - true hermaphrodite - this is a genetic mix-up. A hermaphrodite is a plant that has EQUAL or near equal amounts of female bits and full on male ball sacks.

2 - Female plant - will put out a few male flowers with sacks down low. This is not a hermaphrodite. This is part of the genetic code and how plants (not just cannabis) with male and female plants (Dioecious) will produce seed if no males are close by. It's there as a fail safe way to propagate the species. This is prominent in Landrace Sativa (PROMINENT does not equal dominant) it just happens more on Landrace Sativa - 1 reason is due to the long flower times.
Solve this by trimming all the low down new shoots and fan leaves at switch to flower - someone already suggested this and is SOP in my part of the woods.

3 - Female plants - produce "nanners" (what stoner science calls them). Proper term is "Anther". They are usually sterile but not always. They are male parts on a female plant that have NOT matured to a full male ball sack (Sepal) with a pollen release. Generally speaking, nanners happen due to environmental conditions causing the plant to stress. I Usually get them if I let my flower room get too hot, and this is a prominent trait of Indica or Indica crosses. True Indica plants come from cooler, low humidity environments. So the high temps/RH cause Indica to stress more in the same conditions than a Sativa cultivar. Sativa can handle the heat and humidity but don't really like colder temps. Again this is generally speaking.

Suggestions for folks that get nanners is to pay close attention to your environment, temps and humidity particularly. It happens, is stressful but "usually" is not a problem.

The problem comes from the true male flowers on a female plant be it a hermaphrodite or a male flower down low on a female plant. Those 1 or 2 little male flowers down low can pollinate several plants and ruin a good day in the garden. Same with hermaphrodites and why they need to be culled ASAP when you encounter them (hermaphrodites).

Gardening is fun and can be challenging. We should all be trying to raise our own bar every time we put seed in the dirt. Try and get better each time we grow.
Why I journal my grows here so I can go back and look at the past and compare what I'm currently doing and is it working? Also lots of folks with more experience than I will gladly chip in with advice which is SUPER helpful in raising that bar just a little bit higher.

There is actual science to all this goodness. Sometimes it gets a little difficult to wade thru "ideas" people throw out there because they read it or herd it somewhere so it must be true. "Flushing" soil is a good example. Still wondering why farmers don't flush the corn fields or potato patch. Wait maybe thats what rain is for, lol.

Yes I try too change daily. Been getting better results in a glass of water than with my special fancy pants cloner.

This is a common topic - seeds on female plants.

Here's how I see it and most of this is from experience and knowledge gained thru actually reading the science.

Cannabis plants learned how to self pollinate a very very long time ago.

There are 3 different ways this can happen

1 - true hermaphrodite - this is a genetic mix-up. A hermaphrodite is a plant that has EQUAL or near equal amounts of female bits and full on male ball sacks.

2 - Female plant - will put out a few male flowers with sacks down low. This is not a hermaphrodite. This is part of the genetic code and how plants (not just cannabis) with male and female plants (Dioecious) will produce seed if no males are close by. It's there as a fail safe way to propagate the species. This is prominent in Landrace Sativa (PROMINENT does not equal dominant) it just happens more on Landrace Sativa - 1 reason is due to the long flower times.
Solve this by trimming all the low down new shoots and fan leaves at switch to flower - someone already suggested this and is SOP in my part of the woods.

3 - Female plants - produce "nanners" (what stoner science calls them). Proper term is "Anther". They are usually sterile but not always. They are male parts on a female plant that have NOT matured to a full male ball sack (Sepal) with a pollen release. Generally speaking, nanners happen due to environmental conditions causing the plant to stress. I Usually get them if I let my flower room get too hot, and this is a prominent trait of Indica or Indica crosses. True Indica plants come from cooler, low humidity environments. So the high temps/RH cause Indica to stress more in the same conditions than a Sativa cultivar. Sativa can handle the heat and humidity but don't really like colder temps. Again this is generally speaking.

Suggestions for folks that get nanners is to pay close attention to your environment, temps and humidity particularly. It happens, is stressful but "usually" is not a problem.

The problem comes from the true male flowers on a female plant be it a hermaphrodite or a male flower down low on a female plant. Those 1 or 2 little male flowers down low can pollinate several plants and ruin a good day in the garden. Same with hermaphrodites and why they need to be culled ASAP when you encounter them (hermaphrodites).

Gardening is fun and can be challenging. We should all be trying to raise our own bar every time we put seed in the dirt. Try and get better each time we grow.
Why I journal my grows here so I can go back and look at the past and compare what I'm currently doing and is it working? Also lots of folks with more experience than I will gladly chip in with advice which is SUPER helpful in raising that bar just a little bit higher.

There is actual science to all this goodness. Sometimes it gets a little difficult to wade thru "ideas" people throw out there because they read it or herd it somewhere so it must be true. "Flushing" soil is a good example. Still wondering why farmers don't flush the corn fields or potato patch. Wait maybe thats what rain is for, lol.
Like a boss....truthful and helpful as always bob!

Good luck to anybody that can find a strain that doesn't Herm, lol.. and to all three plant personal recreational growers ( who I am and laziness, who my advice is directed towards) five weeks in seeing nanners, throw your plants away, you will end up with seeds in your smoke... start again... What wrong with this advice?

Nothing wrong - I get nanners from time to time and don't throw 3 months or more of work out the window.

It's not really black and white, there's a lot of grey in the green for sure.

I would say throw out Hermaphrodites on sight for sure, but nanners here and there. Naw they are I wood say 95% sterile. By the time you see em it's already too late to make any difference.

Nanners are whats in the inside of a ball sack on a male plant. By the time we see them the ball sack already opened. If you look real close at them they are WAY WAY small compared to a true male plant. So you may get a FEW seeds. These are true S1 seeds and are what many breeders make (S1 seeds) with chemicals on female plants.

For example I just ran 3 plants - Platinum Buffalo - 2 of the 3 had nanners due to heat stress (my fault). It's winter where we are and had a warm day up to 70F outside - just 1 day. My flower room got pretty hot and I wasn't thinking much about it until I went to check on the flower room and ffs room temps were in the 90F with HIGH RH to go with and most of my plants this round were Indica dom or all Indica. I got nanners @50 days in flower. I didn't get any seeds after trimming and jarring. That's a few thousand dollars worth of weed - it aint going in the compost no way no how.

At the very least can cook with the flowers and/or make great hash or other concentrates. If I got seeds - I grow them. The S1 output is a straight shot to top shelf if the mother was/is good. You can pop 10 S1 seeds and prolly 7 or 8 of the plants will all be the same (dominant traits).

One door closes, another opens. For me, the door to the compost bin for cannabis plants is relegated to male plants "for the most part".

Using male plants to propagate cultivars - its VERY time consuming. Years even.

My point is that once the nanners are visible - the dirty work is done. They usually do not produce very many seeds if any. Not enough to make the female plant change her priorities from flower to seed making. You can tell if that happens. The plant starts to grow wonky and not with the usual progression (fattier buds).

That's just my experience. .02

Back
Top Bottom