Help me and a friend figure out RDWC? recirculating deep water culture

So a friend gave me this amazing ass chiller! I've been running DWC and I gatta figure out a way to incorporate this thing into my freaking set up!!
-130.jpg

Its definetly a beast!

So I figure I gatta do RDWC. But with only one bucket. So i've drawn up two examples i've thought of on how to do this. Let me know what you think and which one should work the best?

-223.jpg

External pump pulling

-412.jpg

Internal pump pushing

On top of that I pretty much have all the same questions as my homie posted and I just copied and pasted as shown below: :cool:

I've been doing research and reading guides on RDWC, but I've come across some inconsistencies that I'm hoping to clear up here. Basically to do with hose and pump sizes and plumbing methods. I want to avoid unequal flow rates(drain and fill) among my buckets, as well as them overflowing due to too big a pump or too small return lines.

I've heard a few people say 1/2" return lines are too small, and caused their buckets to overflow. I've also heard people complain about uneven nutrient distribution because they plumbed it wrong.

I've seen some videos online where people have a 10 or so line manifold thing that connects to the water pump(sticking up out of rez), and gives equal flow out of each line. I can't seem to find those online, so if anyone could help me find those, that would be sweet. If I can't get one of those, then this is what I'm thinking of doing;

Water pump will feed a 3/4" hose out(my supply manifold) which will have T's connecting to 1/2" lines running to buckets. I'm hoping the 3/4" manifold will hold higher volume, causing all the 1/2" lines to flow the same amount, even to the buckets farthest from the pump? How big should the pump be for that?

Then I'm thinking the return lines should be 3/4" feeding into a 1" return manifold? Will gravity cause them all to drain equal, even the buckets farthest from the rez?

Or should I put the pump on the return lines, and let gravity feed the supply? That might create a more even flow?

All thoughts and ideas wanted! Thanks guys

Thanks again to anyone who takes the time to check out this link and help us out!
Go 420 Mag! :cheer: I know u guys can help us! :grinjoint:

I haven't used a chiller before but I think I would have it chill the res and not the plant's bucket. The airstone is in the res and colder water uptakes gas quicker than warm water. Also the res is (or should be) a larger capacity than the plant, so once the water in the res is brought down to the specified temp, it will be easier for the chiller to maintain the temp without working over time (since the thermal mass of the res should stay more stable). If you have real heat issues, I would consider using a converted ice chest for the res. You can pick up some fairly large ones for not much money at Costco.

Steve

Already got it handled :)

0211111939.jpg

:)

Back
Top Bottom