New to RDWC: Couple questions

Right on, I’m going to switch it all up. Just fucking blows. Is what it is,now I know.

I feel your pain. Hits close to home man. I did similar, and ran into a problem once I had the return lines plumbed and was halfway through the supply. All of it trashed, and on to take 2.

It broke my heart, but I was trying to cram more plumbing in than I really had room for, and it ended up way too complex.

Now when I turn around and actually build rooms someday, that may be different. I'll have the room then, and may be able to make it happen. However, it wasn't fitting into a 4x4 tent. The buckets, yeah they fit. The plumbing? Not so much. I was frustrated beyond belief, to the point I was ready to just block the person that was pushing me out if it and into a better setup. It was a frustrating, trying time to say the least.

I had a really good plan, but it got twisted up when I was 9" short on space between buckets with nowhere to go without pushing the plants towards the tent walls. I'm not even sure now that I could have solved it with that even.

What I had set up was 2 return lines, and 2 supply lines. The way it was plumbed I would have been able to isolate buckets from each other and put them on another res. So if I had a picky plant, I could isolate it from the main feed and run it on its own recirculating loop with just the opening/closing of a couple valves. Now there was only 1 entry and 1 exit point per bucket, but right before/after was a tee and a valve on each side. So I could close the main return and open the secondary, and close the main supply and open the secondary. Boom, plant isolated and now feed could be targeted better to that plant (or plants.) I still would love to have that capability, I just don't have the room for it in a tent without some serious intervention.

Now?

Much better. Much, much better. It sucked at the time, but one thing I'm not losing sleep over is whether or not my rig is running properly and whether or not it's all clogged up and overflowing. (I do still cringe when they send me a message now and then, but it's been good since. :rofl:)

You have some room to work with, which is good. I also noticed you've been to lowe's and picked up a commander xl blah blah tote for your res. That's the 27 gal, isn't it? That's what I use for a res on one of my tents, and have several for other things. They're good, and thankfully not expensive. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The "craftsman" stuff isn't bad either. I have a 10gal on a 3x3 for a single plant that's in a dutch bucket. No problem. They're pretty good too it seems, and I like the handles coming up over the lid to kind of "lock" it down. Better than the snap type, I think. Not as easy to bump it off or anything. Not that I've bumped one off, but they do come off easier and I'm sure I'll bump it at some point.

I will suggest to cover the res lid in gorilla tape. Whether you want reflective silver or white is up to you, but don't use something dark. Intense light + dark res top = heat. No bueno.

While you're shopping, and nobody has mentioned this yet, but what are you going to be monitoring your solution with?

There is a very handy, reliable monitoring unit that monitors the EC (can display as EC, 500, or 700 scale), water temp, and pH. It's the Blue Lab Guardian, and they are extremely convenient.

I won't run a reservoir without one. It is so handy to be able to just glance at the wall and see exactly what your solution is doing. You can get by for a while with a pH pen and an EC meter, but if you start that way set back a little here and there to get the guardian. It's more than worth it, and then some. They've went up a bit this year (what hasn't, really), and are now around tree fiddy on the zon. There are several models that get fancier and fancier, but I find the basic one is just fine. I'm in the garden area several times a day, so no big whoop. Check the zon and look for "Bluelab MONGUA Guardian Monitor."

How's the rest of the environment? Lights? Exhaust fans (AC Infinity Cloudline for a 4" or 6", once you hit 8" look at hyperfan as they draw less power)? Carbon scrubber(s), oscillating fans (not that you're in a tent, but avoid the ones that are made to clip to a tent pole from vivosun or the like), dehumidifier/humidifier, heater(s), AC?

I'm also in an unfinished basement. Wouldn't really need tents, but it helps keep the air cleaner and is easier to scrub and keep any smells contained. I don't necessarily care, I'm legal, but I also don't want to advertise or have someone show up that may react negatively. Just easier that way for now.

Temps stay pretty steady for me. Typically right around 71-72, during the day. Even in the peak of summer when it was 95-100 out, it didn't get over 73. I sit my reservoirs directly on the concrete floor, which helps by acting as a heatsink. Now it won't ever get below what the floor is (and usually a degree or two higher), but it does help in part to keep the water temps manageable. Without running a chiller, my summer reservoirs never topped 73. Now if I were running my big rdwc, maybe. I shut it down in the summer though because it draws enough juice when it's on that being off it helps to somewhat offset the AC being on.

Have you thought about what nutrients you're going to use? A 50gal setup is going to need a healthy amount. I have some basic info on 4 or 5 different lines, and their cost breakdown for a 50gal rig. 3 of them run around $100/grow, one is around $20, another around $35 or so, and a couple others that are $200+.

I can data dump that for ya if you want, but as many details as there are on there, it may be frowned upon since none of the nute companies on my list are "sponsors" here. They like to keep walls of information that aren't sponsor products off the main areas of the site. It sucks, as it's difficult sometimes to discuss/get help with something, but as long as it doesn't turn into what could look like a big advertisement then they usually tolerate a bit of discussion.

Drying/curing? Got that planned up yet? Trimming?

12 plants will be a mother fucker to trim up. Heck, my hands, neck, and shoulders are cringing at the thought. :rofl:

I have a trimmer. It's a dry trim, tumbler. It's pretty good, but tricky to get dialed in as it is bladeless and your buds need to be at the exact right moisture level to trim correctly. It's a very fine line between dry enough to trim, and blowing your cure. Very fine line. I've had a couple plants that ended up getting trimmed after curing as they were getting a bit close and my nerves couldn't take it. (It's a learning curve, but not bad. Just something that gets better with practice.)

That being the case, I'm probably going to get a better one next spring, that doesn't need the sugars quite as dry as this one. Thankfully this one was only $300. It works, but only when the plant is at the right moisture level. That level is close enough to blowing the cure that it just makes me too nervous. I'd like a green brothers unit, but will probably end up with a table top centurian pro, triminator, or similar.

Also that p-trap ain’t shit to roots. They'll follow the flow as much as possible. Roots can be the nemesis to rdwc. Gotta plan accordingly to mitigate their influence on the fluid dynamics as much as possible.

was always my hassle in the old systems. intermittent disasters. i like the new under current designs. if i go back to an active system i'd probably go that way.

was always my hassle in the old systems. intermittent disasters. i like the new under current designs. if i go back to an active system i'd probably go that way.

That's pretty much how mine flows, with a couple minor differences. Same concept though. Of course now I'm switching the bucket that's connected to the res to an overflow setup, but whatev. The new current culture buckets are really nice. Haven't had a bad product from them yet. I did have a tub last winter that was damaged on arrival. They resent the order, no hassle at all. I sent the rep I was on the phone with a couple pics real quick, and that was that.

MV had you covered!

Like a jimmy hat! :rofl:

Not to fvck with anyone’s head but daaamn I just fell in love again with my low tech buckets of soil but I’m kinda jealous of how fast your hydro plants zip along and the growth you can achieve

Soil has it's place. Nothing wrong with it, just different strokes for different folks, right?

For me it isn't about the speed, or anything like that. I just don't like hauling a ton of dirt everywhere. :rofl:

I can connect a pump and a hose and that's that. Drain, fill, whatever. It's easier on the back that way too. Any type of setup has it's pros and cons. Some cons may be a bigger deal to someone than it is to someone else. Same for pros. Might be just what the dr ordered for some, not so much for others.

That's pretty much how mine flows, with a couple minor differences. Same concept though. Of course now I'm switching the bucket that's connected to the res to an overflow setup, but whatev. The new current culture buckets are really nice.

the new tech is like star trek compared to what i used to play with.

Not to fvck with anyone’s head but daaamn I just fell in love again with my low tech buckets of soil but I’m kinda jealous of how fast your hydro plants zip along and the growth you can achieve

ikr !

Soil has it's place. Nothing wrong with it, just different strokes for different folks, right?

my grow style evolved to suit other circumstances. been musing about how i could adapt others lol :p

Oh absolutely different strokes! You are right Bluter... a pump can lift the media in no time flat and I’m lugging buckets of dirt! I knew hydro was complicated to get the right setup but dang you have built up a crap load of skill! I bought water and air pumps, buckets, net pots all gathering dust from my first failed attempts!

I’m still going to roll into some hempy grows hopefully later winter when I’m home bound. I just know the every day care thing would not be dosble for me in warm season. I’m actually looking forward to learning and hope to avoid killing them all... that remains to be seen

I’m still going to roll into some hempy grows hopefully later winter when I’m home bound. I just know the every day care thing would not be dosble for me in warm season. I’m actually looking forward to learning and hope to avoid killing them all... that remains to be seen

I can leave mine running for up to 2 weeks. I try not to push it past 1 week, but 2 is doable if you set it up right from the start.

But really, hydro doesn't require more attention in terms of the number of times you check on it. It does require a little more attention to detail, but it really isn't all that different when you get down to it. You still got to mix your nutes (in general, LOS aside of course), keep track of this and that. Some of the parameters are different, but they're still params being checked either way.

I think you may like going with dutch buckets. Especially if temps are your concern. Just an FYI though, washing enough perlite to fill multiple buckets sucks ass. :rofl:

I'm going to ditch most of that and go with coco instead on the next round, just to play around.

If you do go the dutch/bato bucket way (I refuse to use the H-word for it, but same diff) then check into recirculating your feed. It simplifies many things, including waste/runoff. ;)

washing enough perlite to fill multiple buckets sucks ass.

there are a few ways to deal with it ..

1. don't bother. most times it washes to the bottom and stays there harming nothing.

2. pre sift it dry. a screened colander strainer works great. i made one using a detergent container and mosquito screen.

3. wash it. i've filled buckets with it and taken the hose to it. i've done this with hydroton loads using a power washer, and it will work for perlite depending on the bucket. you lose a bunch if not washing tons at a time though.

I have a bucket with no bottom, and holes cut around the edge. I put a paint strainer in it, then perlite in that. I add perlite, and then run the shower on it for a bit. It works, but isn't my favorite part of it. Just seems like it takes forever.

I have a bucket with no bottom, and holes cut around the edge. I put a paint strainer in it, then perlite in that. I add perlite, and then run the shower on it for a bit. It works, but isn't my favorite part of it. Just seems like it takes forever.

good method. i do almost the same with the outdoor hose. get it flowing and walk away for 20 min or so

I have one of those shower heads where you can take part of it and use it with a hose. It works, but I could live without it. Not to mention it seems that shit gets everywhere. :rofl:

I have one of those shower heads where you can take part of it and use it with a hose. It works, but I could live without it. Not to mention it seems that shit gets everywhere. :rofl:
same thing i use lol. :laughtwo:
garden watering head - looks like a shower head. used for hanging plants. green houses use them loads.

Right on, I’m going to switch it all up. Just fucking blows. Is what it is,now I know.
I'll be the first one to admit that I hate spending just because. There are places where you can get less expensive and you’re fine. There are places where the money is an investment though. Environment is one, and system/lighting are part of that.

A bulkhead is more than a uniseal, but won’t cause as many issues for example.

Trying 2” pipe vice 3”, or other things. You get the idea. I say investment because you're investing in the quality, usability, and reliability of critical systems.

Before you purchase and build anything, check back and ask first.

Also that p-trap ain’t shit to roots. They'll follow the flow as much as possible. Roots can be the nemesis to rdwc. Gotta plan accordingly to mitigate their influence on the fluid dynamics as much as possible.

Would what you have set now work? In general, probably. For how long is the question, and those roots stand a good chance to clog up at least 1 drain fairly quick. It is not worth the risk, and as painful as it sounds you will be happier in the long run as you sleep better at night.
I feel your pain. Hits close to home man. I did similar, and ran into a problem once I had the return lines plumbed and was halfway through the supply. All of it trashed, and on to take 2.

It broke my heart, but I was trying to cram more plumbing in than I really had room for, and it ended up way too complex.

Now when I turn around and actually build rooms someday, that may be different. I'll have the room then, and may be able to make it happen. However, it wasn't fitting into a 4x4 tent. The buckets, yeah they fit. The plumbing? Not so much. I was frustrated beyond belief, to the point I was ready to just block the person that was pushing me out if it and into a better setup. It was a frustrating, trying time to say the least.

I had a really good plan, but it got twisted up when I was 9" short on space between buckets with nowhere to go without pushing the plants towards the tent walls. I'm not even sure now that I could have solved it with that even.

What I had set up was 2 return lines, and 2 supply lines. The way it was plumbed I would have been able to isolate buckets from each other and put them on another res. So if I had a picky plant, I could isolate it from the main feed and run it on its own recirculating loop with just the opening/closing of a couple valves. Now there was only 1 entry and 1 exit point per bucket, but right before/after was a tee and a valve on each side. So I could close the main return and open the secondary, and close the main supply and open the secondary. Boom, plant isolated and now feed could be targeted better to that plant (or plants.) I still would love to have that capability, I just don't have the room for it in a tent without some serious intervention.

Now?

Much better. Much, much better. It sucked at the time, but one thing I'm not losing sleep over is whether or not my rig is running properly and whether or not it's all clogged up and overflowing. (I do still cringe when they send me a message now and then, but it's been good since. :rofl:)

You have some room to work with, which is good. I also noticed you've been to lowe's and picked up a commander xl blah blah tote for your res. That's the 27 gal, isn't it? That's what I use for a res on one of my tents, and have several for other things. They're good, and thankfully not expensive. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The "craftsman" stuff isn't bad either. I have a 10gal on a 3x3 for a single plant that's in a dutch bucket. No problem. They're pretty good too it seems, and I like the handles coming up over the lid to kind of "lock" it down. Better than the snap type, I think. Not as easy to bump it off or anything. Not that I've bumped one off, but they do come off easier and I'm sure I'll bump it at some point.

I will suggest to cover the res lid in gorilla tape. Whether you want reflective silver or white is up to you, but don't use something dark. Intense light + dark res top = heat. No bueno.

While you're shopping, and nobody has mentioned this yet, but what are you going to be monitoring your solution with?

There is a very handy, reliable monitoring unit that monitors the EC (can display as EC, 500, or 700 scale), water temp, and pH. It's the Blue Lab Guardian, and they are extremely convenient.

I won't run a reservoir without one. It is so handy to be able to just glance at the wall and see exactly what your solution is doing. You can get by for a while with a pH pen and an EC meter, but if you start that way set back a little here and there to get the guardian. It's more than worth it, and then some. They've went up a bit this year (what hasn't, really), and are now around tree fiddy on the zon. There are several models that get fancier and fancier, but I find the basic one is just fine. I'm in the garden area several times a day, so no big whoop. Check the zon and look for "Bluelab MONGUA Guardian Monitor."

How's the rest of the environment? Lights? Exhaust fans (AC Infinity Cloudline for a 4" or 6", once you hit 8" look at hyperfan as they draw less power)? Carbon scrubber(s), oscillating fans (not that you're in a tent, but avoid the ones that are made to clip to a tent pole from vivosun or the like), dehumidifier/humidifier, heater(s), AC?

I'm also in an unfinished basement. Wouldn't really need tents, but it helps keep the air cleaner and is easier to scrub and keep any smells contained. I don't necessarily care, I'm legal, but I also don't want to advertise or have someone show up that may react negatively. Just easier that way for now.

Temps stay pretty steady for me. Typically right around 71-72, during the day. Even in the peak of summer when it was 95-100 out, it didn't get over 73. I sit my reservoirs directly on the concrete floor, which helps by acting as a heatsink. Now it won't ever get below what the floor is (and usually a degree or two higher), but it does help in part to keep the water temps manageable. Without running a chiller, my summer reservoirs never topped 73. Now if I were running my big rdwc, maybe. I shut it down in the summer though because it draws enough juice when it's on that being off it helps to somewhat offset the AC being on.

Have you thought about what nutrients you're going to use? A 50gal setup is going to need a healthy amount. I have some basic info on 4 or 5 different lines, and their cost breakdown for a 50gal rig. 3 of them run around $100/grow, one is around $20, another around $35 or so, and a couple others that are $200+.

I can data dump that for ya if you want, but as many details as there are on there, it may be frowned upon since none of the nute companies on my list are "sponsors" here. They like to keep walls of information that aren't sponsor products off the main areas of the site. It sucks, as it's difficult sometimes to discuss/get help with something, but as long as it doesn't turn into what could look like a big advertisement then they usually tolerate a bit of discussion.

Drying/curing? Got that planned up yet? Trimming?

12 plants will be a mother fucker to trim up. Heck, my hands, neck, and shoulders are cringing at the thought. :rofl:

I have a trimmer. It's a dry trim, tumbler. It's pretty good, but tricky to get dialed in as it is bladeless and your buds need to be at the exact right moisture level to trim correctly. It's a very fine line between dry enough to trim, and blowing your cure. Very fine line. I've had a couple plants that ended up getting trimmed after curing as they were getting a bit close and my nerves couldn't take it. (It's a learning curve, but not bad. Just something that gets better with practice.)

That being the case, I'm probably going to get a better one next spring, that doesn't need the sugars quite as dry as this one. Thankfully this one was only $300. It works, but only when the plant is at the right moisture level. That level is close enough to blowing the cure that it just makes me too nervous. I'd like a green brothers unit, but will probably end up with a table top centurian pro, triminator, or similar.
Yes, I have a guardian blue lab, it’s awesome, like you said just to be able to look up and see what is going on. Also I have an ideal air 75 pint humidifier which I run it up to 70 for most of the grow until the last few weeks. My lights are 3-600 watt hps’s, 4 - 315Cmh’s and I’m putting in 4 2000 watt leds for some side lighting. I love this shit I have a true passion for it ever since I was young. I really want to start breeding and that’s what I’m going to do I just think it’s fun so I’m going to have a go at it for a while. Here’s my light setup and some of the last shit I grew, also these are the new genetics I have purchased to play with, I can’t fucking wait, it will be a long process but fuck it I got time.

Attachments

• 630D3B51-B698-42AA-9437-5A209BF624AC.jpeg
    630D3B51-B698-42AA-9437-5A209BF624AC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • 13B53BE1-DA31-4E17-AE78-5CF3FAB506AE.jpeg
    13B53BE1-DA31-4E17-AE78-5CF3FAB506AE.jpeg
    868.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 001F317A-E3C9-4DC5-A248-5D918A196013.jpeg
    001F317A-E3C9-4DC5-A248-5D918A196013.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • FE169070-A11D-4244-9747-E78CA57010E8.jpeg
    FE169070-A11D-4244-9747-E78CA57010E8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • F690BC74-A637-4DA3-AB1A-E767185A6FD5.jpeg
    F690BC74-A637-4DA3-AB1A-E767185A6FD5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • BB2D4DEA-6DC8-4D2A-9C3B-82AA00510F08.jpeg
    BB2D4DEA-6DC8-4D2A-9C3B-82AA00510F08.jpeg
    933.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 9A8AD15C-1F1C-4F7C-9B51-ED40FE8302A0.jpeg
    9A8AD15C-1F1C-4F7C-9B51-ED40FE8302A0.jpeg
    991.2 KB · Views: 62
  • D3E46192-E247-4612-899E-6FE719A55B14.jpeg
    D3E46192-E247-4612-899E-6FE719A55B14.jpeg
    890.2 KB · Views: 64
My temps have kinda been a little crazy as of late, I think my a/c is low on Freon or something cause all summer my room was running around 72 and now it’s up and down. I want the twister home trimmer that thing looks bad ass. And yes trimming 12 plants is awful but my buddies help with it and I hook them up. I cure in a bucket hooked up to check valves with air pump and a timer, it actually works really well. I leave it in their for close to a month and then go to jars.

Got damn it’s nice when someone new to the board has their shit together.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sounds like you’re off to a good start on all that. If heat is a battle you’re fighting a bit, there’s always LED’s. Budget LED makes some great quantum board style lights for pretty reasonable. There are more expensive light options, but not needed unless you just wanted something higher.

There are lower options too, but you start wandering from the top shelf diodes and components into a grade or two lower.

Got damn it’s nice when someone new to the board has their shit together.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sounds like you’re off to a good start on all that. If heat is a battle you’re fighting a bit, there’s always LED’s. Budget LED makes some great quantum board style lights for pretty reasonable. There are more expensive light options, but not needed unless you just wanted something higher.

There are lower options too, but you start wandering from the top shelf diodes and components into a grade or two lower.
Lol!! Thanks man, hey do you check your DO levels and if so what are you getting ppm wise, I am getting around 8.5 ppm, I’d like to get to 9+ but it’s hard and it’s driving me nuts. I keep looking at o2 emitters but fuck they are expensive.

Back
Top Bottom