RDWC: Rules of thumb?

If I use 1.5" PVC for return line, but I need to reduce to 0.75" (water pump in). I dont find anything to fit my needs.

I put 1.5" PVC pipes in the center of the buckets, they will be connected finally.

If I use an undercurrent system, I just have to connect the rez to the other buckets with 2 uniseal rights ?

I’m running 2-in for my return line. It runs from buckets to external res. Pump is connected to res and then feeds the buckets from the top.

I also have isolation loops, and I use a 2-in tee from each bucket to split. One side of that tee (the isolation side) has a 2-in -> 3/4-in bushing. ;)

Be careful with your pump. The threads may be 1/2 inch, depending on size and make.

do you have picture / diagram of your setup?

cause I am a little bit confused how to setup it properly

I have 4 buckets connected to a main (external) res:

Each bucket connects to the main return line. (all 2" pvc)

Return line connects to the external res.

Pump sits outside.

Pump is connected directly to res.

Pump feeds each bucket via 3/4" pipe.

That's the basics of it. It's a fairly (overly) complicated setup, but I put a lot of thought into it to try and get it as versatile as possible.

rdwc-final-jpg.1915784

Above is a general diagram of the overall system operation. It's not really a parts list, or anything like that.

The big thing is that each bucket has it's own supply line (3/4") that creates a waterfall effect in each bucket. That effect gives a big boost to oxygenating the water in the bucket, allowing for a smaller volume of air via pumps.

Isolation loops allow me to isolate buckets at will if a plant(s) needs more/less nutrients, needs a dose of H2O2, or whatever.

Feedback loop lets me fine tune the amount of flow into the buckets without putting undue back pressure on the pump.

Drain lines allow for draining the system to do water changes, etc. It won't get it all, but it will get enough that I can drain, fill with plain water and drain again, then fill with new nutrient solution.

Which reducer do you use to get from 2" to 3/4" ? Which tubing do you use as 3/4" ?

The 2" line and 3/4" line are separate lines.

Give me a but to work up a less-complicated diagram. I'll take off the isolation stuff, and stick to the basics.

Ok, see the image below.

The Blue line is the 3/4-inch water supply from the reservoir to the buckets.

The Red line is the 2-inch return line from the bucket(s) to the reservoir.

There isn't any reducer (typically). Each line is separate from each other, and connect to the reservoir via a bulkhead fitting, or a uniseal. Where you may be getting confused is that yes, on my isolation line I do have a 2-inch to 3/4-inch bushing. This is something customized to my system, and not part of a typical system.

(Note: not show in the overview is an airline to each bucket, but each bucket will have an airline connected to a stone/disk.)

basic-fallponic-rdwc-setup.jpg

You're welcome.

I went a bit overboard on mine, but it happens from time to time. :D

If you search on youtube.com for "pa hydro fallponic system", you should come across a 4-bucket setup. This is what got me started on my design, which I then tweaked the crap out of. :)

I tought I will use 2" pvc to connect my buckets and res together.

Use a return line from 2" PVC to my pump (outside of res) and then the pumo outlet into the res (waterfall style).

Does this setup will works?

I want only 1 line of tubing if its possible.

If you only want one line of plumbing, then you'll need a different setup.

Me personally, I like the top-feed style of this. That 3/4-inch line coming in gives a waterfall effect and oxygenates the water.

Why does my setup will not works ? I got a water flow and my rez is being filled up by waterfall, isnt correct?

A picture worth a thousand words
2FC49A78-1312-43D5-824E-73D9CDD5F597.jpeg

As for the supply line. I doubt it’ll matter whether it’s 3/4 or 1/2. I’d go 1/2 cause it’s cheaper and you’ll get a higher velocity to create more dissolved oxygen when it hits the water in the grow buckets

As for the res size. It’s up to you. Some people like a large res to add stability in ph. I don’t use a large one. It’s mostly just a convenience in adding nutrient solution. And if you’re using a tent or have the ability with you space, you can locate the res outside your grow area to reduce heat in the water and make it even easier to change the solution.

2" has more velocity ?

Does this diagram will works ?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.4 KB · Views: 52
2" has more velocity ?

Does this diagram will works ?

This is my setup exactly but I only have 2 grow sites. I’m going to expand it to 4 sites next round. It works great. Just remember to use air pumps and stones because this style doesn’t put oxygen in the water like a waterfall style.

This is my setup exactly but I only have 2 grow sites. I’m going to expand it to 4 sites next round. It works great. Just remember to use air pumps and stones because this style doesn’t put oxygen in the water like a waterfall style.

Each bucket will has its air stone, I have a commercial air pump with 8 outlets.

If I connect each buckets together with the rez and then pump the water and throw it back to the rez , it will works? no waterflow problem?

the rez will have is air stone too.

Each bucket will has its air stone, I have a commercial air pump with 8 outlets.

If I connect each buckets together with the rez and then pump the water and throw it back to the rez , it will works? no waterflow problem?

the rez will have is air stone too.

I once had roots grow into the return and slow the flow way down. I reached in there and pulled them back through. No problems since. This system works great

I once had roots grow into the return and slow the flow way down. I reached in there and pulled them back through. No problems since. This system works great

Great gonna start a journal soon. From DWC to RDWC.

I have 2 strains (Purple Kush and Sour Diesel), which should I take?

im not a diy guy myself and im coming out of tents and renovating my space into a flower room and when i get started there im going to set up my veg room. i have a aqua active system i bought, 55 gal res and 12 5 gal pots. first go round and have been running tests for leaks and whatnot, upgraded my lights. here's what i have going on, no strains yet but its fixing to go down.
20191013_112907.jpg20191013_132513.jpg20191013_132534.jpg20191024_142200.jpg20191024_142408.jpg20191103_075513.jpg20191103_081527.jpg20191103_221810.jpg20191106_163940.jpg20191106_172021.jpg
:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom