Help me identify this please! Is it cal/mag deficiency? It's brittle

mcnanovich

420 Member
20200723_163224.jpg

It looks awful DARK GREEN.
Tips are burned and leaf is clawing ... leads me to believe that you are overfeeding and overwatering.

Stop it.
Right now, just stop it!
DROP the hose and feed bucket and move away.
DROP IT!!

Dunno what kind of medium you are using, but generically I would say:
* Don't feed or water till the top inch of the pot is dry.
* Then, water heavily with no nutes (flush).
* Then feed half strength nutes for one week, but not every day, just when needed.

Long term:
* Only water/feed in the morning, never just before nightfall.
* Only water/feed when she needs it; learn how to tell when that is.
* Get a PPM meter. A cheap one is good enough (under $20). Learn how to use it, and why and what PPM's you should be using for your medium.

Read more.
Search the topic above and read it.

Interesting. I only feed/water once a week. I'm following the Fox Farm nute schedule and I'm doing one flush a month.
Well, I may be wrong - it has happened ... but it sure looks like over feeding to me. Not nute locked - YET, but stay tuned.

What kind of medium is it in?

Looks like nute burn to me too. Crispy tips curled up is a typical sign of over fert. Although the discolouration on the leaf margins might suggest a calcium deficiency also. Without knowing more about your setup we are just guessing though. Could be the strength of the solution is too strong or you might have salt build up in your medium itself. This might be causing your calcium deficiency signs. Do you measure the strength of your run off when you feed?

Attachments

• 1595541272609.png
    1595541272609.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Yes, I do measure. I've been following the Fox Farms nute schedule by the book. I'm going to do a flush and see if that helps. I'm not sure. I'm in the flowering stage and I only got about 3 to 4 weeks left.

QUOTE="GoogleGenie, post: 5036536, member: 198729"]
Looks like nute burn to me too. Crispy tips curled up is a typical sign of over fert. Although the discolouration on the leaf margins might suggest a calcium deficiency also. Without knowing more about your setup we are just guessing though. Could be the strength of the solution is too strong or you might have salt build up in your medium itself. This might be causing your calcium deficiency signs. Do you measure the strength of your run off when you feed?
[/QUOT

Yes, I do measure. I've been following the Fox Farms nute schedule by the book. I'm going to do a flush and see if that helps. I'm not sure. I'm in the flowering stage and I only got about 3 to 4 weeks left.

Try dialing it back to half strength. Most nute lines work better at a half dose than full. So you would follow the schedule, but cut the amount in half. If it says use 4ml/gal of X, use 2ml/gal.

This is something you want to start with the next watering, but give a good amount of fresh ph'd water first. Then come back with the half strength feed after an hour or so, which should be plenty of time for the fresh water to have finished dripping.

That should help get you through this one, and give you a good start next time. If you find your leaves are too light of a green, then bump the feed up to 3/4 strength and keep reading the leaves.

Thank you.

Try dialing it back to half strength. Most nute lines work better at a half dose than full. So you would follow the schedule, but cut the amount in half. If it says use 4ml/gal of X, use 2ml/gal.

This is something you want to start with the next watering, but give a good amount of fresh ph'd water first. Then come back with the half strength feed after an hour or so, which should be plenty of time for the fresh water to have finished dripping.

That should help get you through this one, and give you a good start next time. If you find your leaves are too light of a green, then bump the feed up to 3/4 strength and keep reading the leaves.

Although the discolouration on the leaf margins might suggest a calcium deficiency also.
Deficiencies start with over feeding, and nute lock.
Can't take up the nutes because of lockout -

Critical time for a problem like this ... so close.

OP:
It's hard to put living creatures on a schedule. Measuring, and looking at the calander is all well and good ... but, I still listen to my girls.
They tell me they "full, can't eat any more" and I say, "But the book says ...." and she tells me "Fack the book. I'm FULL."

Whatta ya gonna do?

Yes, I do measure. I've been following the Fox Farms nute schedule by the book

That might be the problem.

you measure your run off using an EC or PPM pen you will have a better idea of what’s going on in your med. if you put it in at 1.6ec and it comes out way higher you may have salt build up.

I’d also strongly recommend you invest in an instrument to measure EC/PPM either way. The manufacturer guide for nutes is good to follow for the proportions of the nutrients but they will likely be way to strong in your final mix, so it’s good to dilute down your feed with plain water until you get the strength you want.

For example, strength after manufacture dosage might be 2.8ec but for the stage you’re at, you might want anywhere in between 1.4 and 1.8 EC (for example), so just mix some of your full strength with plain water until you get it down to your desired EC/PPM.

Get a PPM pen and quit guessing.
They're $20 or less.

PPM pens are for sissies. I'm running apera and blue lab monitoring. Go back and read my suggestion. That's the start, not the measuring at the end. Check-in with Chuck to see if there is a consolation prize, but thanks for playing.

PPM pens are for sissies. I'm running apera and blue lab monitoring. Go back and read my suggestion. That's the start, not the measuring at the end. Check-in with Chuck to see if there is a consolation prize, but thanks for playing.
If a PPM pen is all you can afford it will do just fine. I use a Blue Lab Truncheon myself and measure in EC. I think it’s great, also really useful for mixing nutes

How hard is your water?
Did you test it? How?

If your plants need (for example) 900 ppm of feed, and you start with water that has 60 ppm already in it ... does adding "a couple of table spoons" to both those situations have the same effect and results as my house?

Because at my house; my water (well) runs at somewhere between 300 and 450 ppm. (and a ph of 7.0 o 7.2) If I add "a couple of table spoons" of feed to my bucket, are we going to have the same end results?

I guess you can guess ... and find out through trial and error ... I prefer to spend $20 and know fer sure.
But hey, there's a LOT of different ways to grow this plant.
If it works for you ... rock it.

Oh, BTW: Chuck said the consolation prize was a "New and easy to use PPM meter." *applause*

How hard is your water?
Did you test it? How?

If your plants need (for example) 900 ppm of feed, and you start with water that has 60 ppm already in it ... does adding "a couple of table spoons" to both those situations have the same effect and results as my house?

Because at my house; my water (well) runs at somewhere between 300 and 450 ppm. (and a ph of 7.0 o 7.2) If I add "a couple of table spoons" of feed to my bucket, are we going to have the same end results?

I guess you can guess ... and find out through trial and error ... I prefer to spend $20 and know fer sure.
But hey, there's a LOT of different ways to grow this plant.
If it works for you ... rock it.

Oh, BTW: Chuck said the consolation prize was a "New and easy to use PPM meter." *applause*

No applause. Zero. No soup, either. (Why is Billy Madison in my head roght now?)

All my reservoirs are covered by high quality ec/temp/pH meters that read all parameters of the solution constantly. Cheap pens are nothing more than a guessing game.

Better than nothing, maybe. Depends how far off they are. I’d sure hate for one of those cheap meters to be off by half an EC point.

Back
Top Bottom