Help!

I need help people. trying my hardest to take clones that actually take instead of rotting. I'm cloning off a clone that is about 12inchs high with multiple branches coming off it. I was using giffys as my medium and I'm growing in a small fish tank with a halogen bulb and a heat pad underneath. for some reason they either rot or just curl up and die...maybe because I'm not consistent with my humidity and light timing.
I'm trialling perlite as a medium for my next clone... because they keep curling over I'm only taking one clone at a time which is painfully slow.
Any help greatly appreciated :)

Hey. Perlite is my favorite medium for cloning in. I’ve been all over the place with cloning issues and finally am pretty happy with where I am.

First off with cloning as you have to look at temperature and also humidity. Temps should be around 65- 75 F. See if you can get a waterproof thermometer to stick in the perlite- or do your best to get an idea what temps are in the spot you expect roots to form.

Humidity should be reasonably high- more than 50% anyway I would guess. I dont use a dome or do any of that misting stuff as my RH is naturally high from rainy climate.

If those two factors are in a decent range then I strongly suggest getting some sort of slime/rot prevention product.
Z7 (aka Z9 if in Canada) saved my ass in this regard. Hydroguard is another similar product. There are others.

Not much more to it other than that. Everyone has their own magic formula - but really it’s a very simple process - so skip past anyone who gives you a very long involved recipe for success, IMO.

Jiffies are the most effective for me. Just about 100% root.
Here is my method:
Boil water and soak the pellets in the hot water for 2 min.
Remove from water and allow to cool off a bit.
Take your cuts and put them in a glass of water for a few min.
Cut the stem 45degrees through a node.
Then scrape the skin on the longer edge.
I.split the longer edge down the middle but not necessary.
Dip back into water then cloning powder
Then into the still warm pellet. (Not.hot but warm)
Then squeeze gently to.Remove excess water and get a tight seal around your cutting
Remove bottom third.of all growth
Trim the leaves to half size (snip each blade in half)
Into a cupcake holder with the lid on
Spray the lid with water (fine mist)
Don't spray the cuts.
Keep done on for 5 days( open for 2 min 3 times a day)
Roots.should be there.in 7 days. (Just keep misting the lid of the dome.)
I.Keep under cfl lights from day one.

Good.luck

I should add - while it’s a simple straightforward process, there are lots of things you could potentially do wrong. So feel free to detail your methods for us, in case there’s some terrible mistake you’re making :)

I've tried everything. @Lerugged and @Weaselcracker give excellent advice.

I like peat pellets in boiled water to kill off the pathogens in the peat.

I've been using a glass of RO water with a 1/2 tsp of EM-1 added just put mine on a heat mat beside my seedlings. I get roots in 7-10 days. Change the water every 3-4 days add more EM-1 in there.

Treat the cuts as stated above with cutting at the node put into water get your medium ready etc.

Clean cutting tool is a requirement.

Always take extra cuts.

Back
Top Bottom