Help

You sound very imformed and I need help! I am stubbornly going to grow outdoors even though I'm obviously up against some odds!
1. Yuma AZ-hotest place on earth bar non! 120 degrees!
2. Springtime is over we are in triple digits and seedlings keep dying
3. Obviously my memories of putting seeds in the ground and having them grow up big and strong are fuzzy!
I germinate inside windowsill and they sprout but get so long and spindly they eventually fall over and die.
If I were to put them anywhere outside-death instantaneous.
How or where can I make starts that don't search for the sun to the point of 10 inch with tiny leaves?!
Hi I'm in Yuma. I started my outdoor girls in early March. I started them indoors in solo cups. In my tent. I up putted and put them outside after 1 week. Starting them this late you will n.ed shade cloth. Are you going to be growing in pots?. If so find a spot out of afternoon sun. The temps are gonna be your problem. My outdoor grow will be done in early June.. Tommboy1973 is a better source for desert grow. She has multiple plants auto and photo as we speak.. In pots you can move them out of afternoon sun but soon the temps gonna be nasty get that shade cloth good luck.

IMG_20210430_055341461.jpg

If I were to put them anywhere outside-death instantaneous.
I’m south of Phoenix. I started my photos outdoors in solo cups in late March. Well, I sprouted in paper towels indoors, but as soon as they went into the cup they went outdoors. They took a few days to pop up above soil. I shaded them in the beginning during some hot days, and buried the cups into a larger pot of soil to keep the roots cool. It may be a little hot now but I think they will be fine if you can keep the roots cool. This will be my first summer growing cannabis outdoors but I have grown fruit trees and tropicals so well versed in keeping stuff alive over the summer so I’m giving it a try. This is what I’ve learned: Shade cloth, not too close to the plants, or under a mesquite tree, light colored pots or bury the pot or use fabric pots, and lots of water. Collect rainwater (when it rains, ha!) the plants love it. Humic acid, silica and seaweed all help with drought tolerance. Use lots of mulch. Protect from rabbits and ground squirrels with hardware cloth.

Thanks so much for the help! I have them inside under a grow lite but keep freaking out as I don't want them to get accustomed to that lite as they will be going outdoors. This will help but anything further also greatly appreciated!
You can grow under a grow light indoors and move them outside... if you have harsh outdoor conditions try going outside for a few hours daily bring them in. Add time outdoors until they are ready for full time.

Hi I'm in Yuma. I started my outdoor girls in early March. I started them indoors in solo cups. In my tent. I up putted and put them outside after 1 week. Starting them this late you will n.ed shade cloth. Are you going to be growing in pots?. If so find a spot out of afternoon sun. The temps are gonna be your problem. My outdoor grow will be done in early June.. Tommboy1973 is a better source for desert grow. She has multiple plants auto and photo as we speak.. In pots you can move them out of afternoon sun but soon the temps gonna be nasty get that shade cloth good luck.

IMG_20210430_055341461.jpg
Thank you for your kind assistance! I have a couple starts under a lite indoors. Trying to simulate the actual time the sun is out. Will take all the awesome advice of y'all and fingers crossed. BTW I hate Yuma!

I’m south of Phoenix. I started my photos outdoors in solo cups in late March. Well, I sprouted in paper towels indoors, but as soon as they went into the cup they went outdoors. They took a few days to pop up above soil. I shaded them in the beginning during some hot days, and buried the cups into a larger pot of soil to keep the roots cool. It may be a little hot now but I think they will be fine if you can keep the roots cool. This will be my first summer growing cannabis outdoors but I have grown fruit trees and tropicals so well versed in keeping stuff alive over the summer so I’m giving it a try. This is what I’ve learned: Shade cloth, not too close to the plants, or under a mesquite tree, light colored pots or bury the pot or use fabric pots, and lots of water. Collect rainwater (when it rains, ha!) the plants love it. Humic acid, silica and seaweed all help with drought tolerance. Use lots of mulch. Protect from rabbits and ground squirrels with hardware cloth.
Thank you! This is very helpful! I was intending to put them in the ground. I have a spot behind a shed that gets am sun but pretty much in shade after 2pm. I have it covered partially by screens. I know it won't be easy but if all fails I have a small grow tent & lite so I won't starve. Hopefully.
Where in Yuma can I find the seaweed etal you mentioned?
I appreciate your help!

I appreciate your help!
Your welcome! I’m still learning myself but glad to share anything that’s working for me. I mostly shop on Amazon. Sometimes you can find seaweed emulsion at nurseries. Neptune’s harvest and Blue Planet are both brands I have used. Humic acid I use GS Plant foods on Amazon. I buy by the gallon and put a pump top on it cause I use it on all my fruit trees/plants once a month. 1 pump is 1 once so easy to dispense.
I tried a different soil last time for 1 plant and it was amazing the difference. If you look at my second journal I have pics of the size difference. I’ll see if I can figure out how to link it for you.

Thank you! This is very helpful! I was intending to put them in the ground. I have a spot behind a shed that gets am sun but pretty much in shade after 2pm. I have it covered partially by screens. I know it won't be easy but if all fails I have a small grow tent & lite so I won't starve. Hopefully.
I appreciate your help!
Try the nursery about a mile down the road from border patrol station. That's where I get foxfarm products they should have what you need

@Mdlroad I know, I was amazed. I’m glad I tried it just to be able to see what a difference soil makes, so at least now I know. Can you imagine if I would’ve just started with that soil, (which I was told was comparable to Foxfams :rolleyes:) I would think I sucked at growing.

@Mdlroad I know, I was amazed. I’m glad I tried it just to be able to see what a difference soil makes, so at least now I know. Can you imagine if I would’ve just started with that soil, (which I was told was comparable to Foxfams :rolleyes:) I would think I sucked at growing.
Luckily I found nearby nursery that carries FoxFarm products and just about everything else I need. My wife went to WalMart came home with a bunch of plants they were going to toss. She used up my soil up potting to save em

Your welcome! I’m still learning myself but glad to share anything that’s working for me. I mostly shop on Amazon. Sometimes you can find seaweed emulsion at nurseries. Neptune’s harvest and Blue Planet are both brands I have used. Humic acid I use GS Plant foods on Amazon. I buy by the gallon and put a pump top on it cause I use it on all my fruit trees/plants once a month. 1 pump is 1 once so easy to dispense.
I tried a different soil last time for 1 plant and it was amazing the difference. If you look at my second journal I have pics of the size difference. I’ll see if I can figure out how to link it for you.
I'm making myself a little training manual from your replies.
So the Humeric acid is for...? I'm 64 yrs old from Humboldt County and I do not remember ever going to fuss to grow weed. I'm going to keep it as simple as possible but also want to take advantage of any tips you give. Alt has been learned from you kind peeps but for some reason I'm having a hard time navigating the site.

Would you have time to weigh in on these? Long story short clones that I deprived of light that are in full flower at 3 inches. Pull them now or wait??

20210509_103747-1-1.jpg

20210509_103809.jpg

20210509_103757.jpg

20210509_103815.jpg

I'm making myself a little training manual from your replies.
So the Humeric acid is for...? I'm 64 yrs old from Humboldt County and I do not remember ever going to fuss to grow weed. I'm going to keep it as simple as possible but also want to take advantage of any tips you give. Alt has been learned from you kind peeps but for some reason I'm having a hard time navigating the site.
Thanks for the pic. So I see the lights are they indoors? Nice and healthy looking.

Luckily I found nearby nursery that carries FoxFarm products and just about everything else I need. My wife went to WalMart came home with a bunch of plants they were going to toss. She used up my soil up potting to save em
The foxfarm soil I also used. Was recommended by my weed store

I'm so confused! I can see the reply but when I go to follow thread I lose my place!
Somebody said "nursery by border Patrol..." Was that message for me? I would be interested in that information!

So the Humeric acid is for...?
Drought tolerance. It is also supposed to help plants uptake nutrients. I can’t remember where I learned about it, maybe an Arizona Rare Fruit growers meeting? Look up humic acid for plants on google, lots of scientific articles.
I do not remember ever going to fuss to grow weed.
I’m from Michigan originally, you could literally throw seeds at the ground and grow stuff. Arizona’s low desert is a different beast.
Would you have time to weigh in on these? Long story short clones that I deprived of light that are in full flower at 3 inches. Pull them now or wait??
Why did you deprive of light? Are they outdoors? They will start to reveg as the light increases. To know if they are ready for harvest you need to look at the tricomes.
So I see the lights are they indoors?
Nope, fully outdoors. Light is for extra light to keep the photos from flowering early as the days were not long enough yet.
Somebody said "nursery by border Patrol..." Was that message for me?
That was @Mdlroad message for you.

I found this site a little tricky to navigate at first too, you’ll get the hang of it. I’m not computer savvy AT ALL and I finally did. ;)

Back
Top Bottom