Hermaphrodite or Simply Pollinated?

phillybluntsk

I had an outdoor grow with seeds I'd used in previous years that were good. Not a 'strain' so to speak but good Arizona potent regular. As usual I got rid of males at first sign, there were 4 males and 8 females. Most were in pots but one in the soil. The winter approached rapidly so I yanked the one in the soil, the biggest one and during the trim process was shocked to find a few seeds. I think there were 3 in the batch. I see none on the potted plants, some of which are drying and some are still alive. How did this happen? I am positive the males were eliminated quickly. I wanted to know how to tell whether a plant became hermaphrodite, or whether it simply was pollinated somehow. Otherwise the buds are looking good on all the other plants, and even on the one that produced the seeds.- big purple, green and stinky. I also found a seed in a dank bud of Blue Dream and was really surprised. Wondering if I should plant it next year hoping it's feminized. Care to share your thoughts, anyone?

Barring some stray pollen wafting in from the outside world, it seems to me that most often when we find surprise seeded it is from 'nanners' which have appeared on a female plant. They are easy to miss. If you don't know what nanners are- they are tiny yellow flowers, usually about 1/8" long- skinny things that look a bit like a banana, presumably the reason for the nickname. They usually appear late in flowering. They don't have male DNA and can produce only female seeds- though these plants may or may not be prone to growing nanners as well. Nanners in my experience aren't super prolific. I never got so many that I couldn't pick them out by hand, though I almost always got some seeds.
Here's are pics of a nanner or two on one of my buds.

image29837.jpg

image29835.jpg

Back
Top Bottom