Higher-Grade Marijuana Turning Up In Area, Officials Say

Beyond the Haze of the Headlines: The Truth about Skunk
What is Skunk?
Skunk was the name given to one of the first cannabis cultivars developed for indoor cultivation. (A cultivar is an assemblage of plants selected for a particular attribute or combination of attributes that is clearly distinct, uniform and stable in those characteristics and that, when propagated by appropriate means, retains those characteristics.) Skunk’s characteristics were the production of multiple flower tops and high THC levels (see below).
The term ‘Skunk’ is now applied generically to any herbal cannabis that has been cultivated indoors with the help of artificial light. Not all of the cannabis grown indoors will contain high levels of THC. The levels of THC produced will depend on the strain of cannabis cultivated (there are hundreds of varieties) and the methods of cultivation used.
Is Skunk Stronger than the Cannabis that was smoked in the 1960s?
Several luminaries from the 1960s have slammed ‘skunk’ in the press over recent years for being dangerously different to what was smoked back in the good old days. The Daily Mail suggested that today’s cannabis is twenty five times stronger than it was a decade ago. Rosie Boycott claimed it was 30 times stronger. In fact, herbal cannabis with similar levels of THC was available in the 1970s: the only notable difference is that high potency cannabis used to only be available from places like Thailand, and now it can be produced at home. According to the scientific data available, the average THC level of domestically cultivated cannabis is twice as high now as the cannabis cultivated domestically in the seventies and eighties but no higher than THC levels that could be found in imported varieties in previous decades.
In its analysis of several skunk scare stories, Transform Drug Policy Foundation (TDPF), pointed out that an almost identical “misleading potency panic took place in the US in the late 1980's”.
If it isn’t Stronger than Cannabis Available in the Sixties, Then Why All The Fuss?
Home Office data suggests that the UK cannabis market is now dominated by domestically cultivated cannabis and so it may be easier to obtain cannabis with high THC levels today than it was in earlier decades. Home Office data suggests that is now more difficult to obtain hashish (which generally has lower amounts of THC and higher amounts of CBD) than it used to be. THC is the primary psychoactive ingredient of cannabis and the fact that more people appear to be smoking more of it has been the source for a great deal of media hype

I think that people forget that a huge portion of cannabis in the 60's, 70's and early 80's was imported. To import into the US, cannabis usually was pressed together to conceal it into something. This had to have an affect on the quality of the THC. Plus we have also learned a great deal about drying and curing. So the question is, are they talking about domestic cannabis or imported???

we use to get alot of this brown stuff expesially in winter it had to come in coffee cans. It was compressed so hard you could see the rings that are in the cans side and bottem. It also smashed all the juice from seeds, this was some harsh shit. Hated those long, cold winters smoking that crap!!

Yuck, I remember that crappy ole "brown dirt weed" too. ;)

I'm not so sure that stuff wasn't just hemp, being passed off as Cannabis so they could just get it for the low-low and sell it for the same price as mid's? IDK? But that was some nasty stuff!!! LOL

I also remember getting weed that had the same smell, taste and high as the high end weed we have today.

I have friends I've known since the early 80's, who live in rural, farming communities that have always grown premo weed and still grow the same strains today, as they did back then and I would put theirs up against most anything I've gotten via the dispensaries of late...short of a few like GDP and Blue Cheese, as well as a few others. ;)

I'd say that, what I remember smoking back in the early 80's was every bit as good as the AK47 we know and love today though...for sure!

I think we have just caught our opposition off guard with these killer strains that have been here all along and they just weren't aware that we knew about them and they didn't!? LOL

I say, that's just too bad for them, they should have been paying attention and getting informed about what they just blindly accepted as the devil's weed all this time!

To the prohibitionist; "So?...You didn't know we had super potent strains of Cannabis all this time? Well, I hate to tell you this but....We did back then and we still do today! You just never asked! Sorry for your luck!!!" :peace:

Yea man, I've had that killer brown too! :)

What I was talking about earlier was just plane nasty stuff that gave you more of a head ache than a buzz.

I believe it was hemp and not even low quality mid's, TBH?

I always felt we were being ripped off, every time we scored a bag of that stuff and in my knowing better now, I vow to never be fooled into buying that crap again!

Looking back now, and after almost 30 years of smoking Cannabis, I so wish I would have kept journals of all the reefer I've smoked over the years, so that I could look back and compare some of it to the meds we have now...it would have been interesting to see just how similar some of them would be to modern Cannabis, IMO, there is not much difference. ;)

The thing we didn't have before and do have now is...Most reefer of old didn't have names attached to it, like the reefer of today.

The Cannabis we have now is engineered to have better quality and potency than what we had back in the day although, we did have some of the same parent strains back then, that we do now...it just wasn't given names back then, with a few exceptions like "Red Haired Skunk" and "Christmas Tree"...Remember those?

I never did find out what "official" name was finally given to "Christmas Tree", anyone else? That stuff was some great meds for sure though. :thumb:

We called it EVERGREEN after the car air freshener everyone hung on rear view mirror. In winter would fill bong with snow & water for slushy, after 4 good rips and a Newport menthol. You were SMASHED but as you pulled off jackets and warmed up. You would get that SLAP in the side of head and squinted your eye`s almost shut!! Mom`s yell diners ready and your prying your eyelids open in bathroom trying to get Visen in!! :thumb:P*E*A*C*E :thumb:

Oh, for the good ole dayz...LOL :adore:

After Federal legalization of Cannabis in seen to fruition, we can call that time the "Good New Dayz"...LOL :high-five::circle-of-love:

Speaing of weed in cans, anybody remember mid-late 70's hawaiian in tuna fish cans? probably the second most expensive weed i smoked that decade @ 200 oz, black sheba being the most @ 50 1/8 with schwag at 40 oz
the killer chronic was around you just had to know someone and be willing to spend the cash. with min wage then being about 2.90 hr, that's a lot of money!

Damn, i can almost smell the aroma when the can was first opened*******mmmmm

Back
Top Bottom