Home Built Stealth Closet because buying on the street is just to damn risky

No offence taken, it was a long day and I can get a bit defensive sometimes. Plus I haven't had a buzz since last Easter and I guess I'm getting a bit antsy with my two girls getting big and bushy and starting to smell so delicious yet still so far away from being finished.

Armoire Grow is right be very careful of heat, I need the 4" exhaust fan to keep the cabinet heat down I dont think just pc fans would work. I use LED and have my fan set to turn on at 80 and that happens about 30 minutes after the lights come on especially now that it is in flower mode. Also get a water chiller to keep root rot at bay you need to keep that water cool under 70. Also make sure 0% light can get into your res or to the roots. How far are you into your build?

Right now buying parts and pieces and testing equip. Once I have it all I plan on doing an inventory and then show the build as it is put together like your doing and how it grows the first plant(s).

Ya I love his little cab it's great.

I made the same mistake of shelling out huge dollars for a turn key growing system, but I am very happy with my purchase as my grow box kicks ass!

@ Greenthumb 1st hope I you dont think I was trying to argue, I very much respect your help and insight. Maybe what I should have said was with this particular system I built I didnt get everything dialed in and working till I got the chiller because my res temps were getting to 85 degrees which I contribute to using the ice chest as a res but once I started with the hydroguard my roots started getting healthy and once I got the res temps under control the plants took off and the wild PH swings stopped.

@mrrobert Thank you, the cabinet is still a bit of a work in progress but is working good for me and your comment on the purchased product which i almost purchased lets me know I did the right thing rolling my own.. the technaflora nutrients also stain the hell out of everything, though they do make the girls healthy.

@DesertSmoke I am looking at the TD-Silent series fan's made by S&P ..... S&P USA - TD-SILENT Series . Please invite me to your build journal would love to watch and learn. Also have you checked out my grow journal in my signature I am pretty proud of the results I am getting from this cabinet.

No I am very aware of the issues you were having with water temps and PH fluctuations. And I am glad you found a working solution.

I enjoy these discussions with you guys. I know none of us are here to argue with each other!

The thing with water temps is they are actually quite easy to maintain at proper levels when we have more water in the reservoir. It takes much longer for the lights to heat up the water..

During lights out in my 8x8 tent, my water temps are around 18c. It takes a full 12 hours sitting under 1200w of lights to raise only 2 degrees Celsius.

My room temp inside the big tent is around 19-23c because I have a decent sized AC that blows cool air throughout my grow spaces, as well I make sure I have adequate air exchange.. Hot air out, fresh, cool air in!

Ya I love his little cab it's great.

I made the same mistake of shelling out huge dollars for a turn key growing system, but I am very happy with my purchase as my grow box kicks ass!

yea your growbox does kickass - i was debating between my gay closet (super closet) or BC northern lights - should have gone with that - I got suckered in because of the headroom lol lmfao......

Does give me some decent grow room once I pulled all their junk out.......

No I am very aware of the issues you were having with water temps and PH fluctuations. And I am glad you found a working solution.

I enjoy these discussions with you guys. I know none of us are here to argue with each other!

The thing with water temps is they are actually quite easy to maintain at proper levels when we have more water in the reservoir. It takes much longer for the lights to heat up the water..

During lights out in my 8x8 tent, my water temps are around 18c. It takes a full 12 hours sitting under 1200w of lights to raise only 2 degrees Celsius.

My room temp inside the big tent is around 19-23c because I have a decent sized AC that blows cool air throughout my grow spaces, as well I make sure I have adequate air exchange.. Hot air out, fresh, cool air in!

Were all here for love of this plant :) and we all wanna grow the best lol

I found the same thing - my res can fits anywhere from 5- 15 gallons - when i put a good 15 gallons in it really holds temp well without the chiller but then its too close to my net cups. i had to find a happy medium at 12 gallons

and at 12gal, your water probably stays cool enough without a chiller, right?

I run about 10-12 gals in my flood table for my clones.. when i went into the tent last night to check temps at around 1am (which is 5 hours after lights on) the temp was 16c or just over 60f.. thats with NO CHILLER and sitting underneath my 2x 600w HPS bulbs.

My 5gal bucket my WW sits in beside the flood table was only 18c which is still 64f..

This is because i have amazing air transfer inside the tent. I run a 6" exhaust fan rated for 450cfm and it sucks the tent inwards a few inches on all sides and pulls the fabric TAUGHT when all the doors are closed. Even with it hooked up to my carbon filter (even tho my flowering tent hasn't need a filter for the entire time the WW has been in flower!!)

it still sucks everything out.. including my brain cells when i bash my head against the fan inside the tent when walking around hahaha ( i do it more than i want to admit!!)

i should also mention.. that i dont cover my reservoir for my flood table.. same with the reservoirs for my veg tent.. ( i lied., the flood tables cover the veg res pretty good.. not snap on like a tote lid or a bucket lid but they sit over top the reservoirs pretty well.)

The res for my flood table is literally a 27gal tough tote without the sturdy yellow lid. I actually tried using a lid at first, but found that the air between the lid and the water heats up really quickly, and that in turn can cause anaerobic bacteria to form inside of the lid, as well as raise your water temps.

wow thats really good - I battled temp a little more just because my room would never drop below 78-88 degrees - I was also using C02 with warmer temps......... I have since upgraded to a mini split A/C and not using C02 - Now my room is never over 78 and my res that has NO chiller stays at 71-74 - Still, thought it should be lower than that, but ill take it lol. I Don't want to buy a whole other chiller, and at the moment with the new LP aeroponics (soakedponics lol) I am testing everything seems to be working good and really not needed.

I was having that problem in my flowering tent during the peak of the summer here in BC, but to battle that, i just opened up my tent door and had an AC blowing towards the door.. my Portable AC (12,600BTU) has an oscillating fan so it spreads the cold air very well..

I have a second bedroom with an attached den that my grow sits in. With the AC running in the den, blowing towards the big tent and the LED tent, ( i just walked in and checked) the LED tent is 20.1c which is 68f. If i were to check the temps inside my 8x8 tent right now, it would probably be around 17c or 62f (lights are off, so cant check!)

I find peoples biggest issue is room temps, cause that will in turn screw up your water temps. Control your room temps, you control your water temps.

I was having that problem in my flowering tent during the peak of the summer here in BC, but to battle that, i just opened up my tent door and had an AC blowing towards the door.. my Portable AC (12,600BTU) has an oscillating fan so it spreads the cold air very well..

I have a second bedroom with an attached den that my grow sits in. With the AC running in the den, blowing towards the big tent and the LED tent, ( i just walked in and checked) the LED tent is 20.1c which is 68f. If i were to check the temps inside my 8x8 tent right now, it would probably be around 17c or 62f (lights are off, so cant check!)

I find peoples biggest issue is room temps, cause that will in turn screw up your water temps. Control your room temps, you control your water temps.

agreed!! i have mine in my garage and temps in the garage were getting around the cabinet get over 100 - so needless to say i cant complain my new ac keeps it 78 inside !!!:volcano-smiley:

:high-five:

Thats awesome!

I cant wait until my tent is harvested, so i can get my new system in there.

My next plan is (once tent is cleared out) a 2 plant RDWC system, but each plant will sit in a 27gal tote, with a modified 5gal bucket inside to keep roots under control and out of the return lines, in a 10" net pot!

Needless to say, a monster of a system! Once the harvest day approaches i will put the system all together. I kinda wanna lean away from growing in water like a DWC or a RDWC, but i promised my buddy Cannabis 1 that we would do a side-by-side, Monster RDWC grow with our THC Bombs we have. So thats gona go down, then i might put that away for a bit, unless it pulls in a stupidly good harvest, then it stays!

Just too many ideas in my head on what i should do! thats why i have like 3 different growing set ups going haha

Great discussion, it must be the size of my res it is only 6Gal and i exhaust directly into the room so I sort of recirculate the hot air though I have central air that room stays about 10 degrees warmer than the hall right outside it. But now that I have it all dialed in and working good I'm happy with my results. Changes I will be making before next grow will be piping the central air directly into the cabinet and the exhaust directly outside. Also going with 1 6" pot in the center of the res lid so I can do a scrog since I can grow a plant to 4' and 2' x 3' around I dont need to grow but 1 at a time.

Get one feminized strain, pop the bean.. top and bend the plant.. tie down branches, and you can easily have a single plant that pulls in a stellar harvest!

Do it in a 6" net pot like you said and you should have an amazing plant!

Now that my first plants are on the downward slide to harvest I will start documenting my lessons learned and how I either fixed them or how I plan on fixing them.

Some of the issues I ran into are:

1) Low Humidity
2) Reservoir water temp
3) exhaust fan noise
4) light covering the whole cabinet
5) Scrog net
6) Cabinet Temp when door is closed

I will be writing a post on each problem every few days to allow for comments and others observations.

And just so you know this is what my cabinet grew so far.

DSC_006616.JPG
DSC_007522.JPG
Crystal_Close_Up.jpg

make it - then perfect it..... NICE!

Humidity

My house has low humidity naturally and so during the first stages of growth after I moved my seedlings actually into the cabinet growth was very slow. This is where having a grow journal on 420 and post pictures and the stats. Another grower noticed my humidity was low and the plants were droopy, and he suggested that I increase the humidity. Well that started me on a quest for a humidifier. The temperature was already running high so I knew I could not get a standard vaporizer as that would just raise the temp also so I found a type that produces cool humidity, their are two types but after much research I found the ultrasonic type to be the best, the cost was reasonable also only about $35. Once in place it solved two issues helped keep the temperature down and raised the humidity. This stopped the droopiness in my plants and they started getting nice and strong.

The lesson learned is understand the environment of the area you will be growing in and what you will need to do to correct that so as to provide the best conditions for the plants.

Humidity

My house has low humidity naturally and so during the first stages of growth after I moved my seedlings actually into the cabinet growth was very slow. This is where having a grow journal on 420 and post pictures and the stats. Another grower noticed my humidity was low and the plants were droopy, and he suggested that I increase the humidity. Well that started me on a quest for a humidifier. The temperature was already running high so I knew I could not get a standard vaporizer as that would just raise the temp also so I found a type that produces cool humidity, their are two types but after much research I found the ultrasonic type to be the best, the cost was reasonable also only about $35. Once in place it solved two issues helped keep the temperature down and raised the humidity. This stopped the droopiness in my plants and they started getting nice and strong.

The lesson learned is understand the environment of the area you will be growing in and what you will need to do to correct that so as to provide the best conditions for the plants.

I was encountering the same problem and with the cool mist humidifier was able to bring humidity and drop the temp.

Back
Top Bottom