Homegrown savings?

Oh yes. Only thing is way too many will say they are new and have never planted a seed or grown a plant before but they will make this their new hobby. And they have not looked up anything. No research, nada, nothing. Look through the first message in many threads asking for help with "is this a female or male" for starters.

Or, the new hobby grower who has no idea the pH is important in hydro grows but he has $500 worth of lights and supplies but does not want to spend another $35 to $50 for a basic pen.

The best "lack of research" I read about was on another message board. The new grower bought everything including seeds at $10 each. He planted 5 and put them on the cupboard shelf above the fridge where it was warm. They all sprouted and he was happy until several days later they were dead. Planted another 5 and the same result. He asked what he was doing wrong. Turns out he did no research and had no clue that after the seeds sprouted he had to take them out of the cupboard and put those new seedlings under lights.
LoL...I marked this one "liked", but it's really sad because it's so true. I know someone who has visions of becoming rich by growing and selling weed, so he spends a fortune on good genetics and invests $10K in an automated Hydro system and decides to start his new found career by growing 30 plants. Unfortunately, he forgot to account for proper spacing so the crop became intertwined -- he was unaware of LST, but knew how and when to top his plants...at least he thought he did. 75% of his harvest was larf.
I had no intention of spending a dime without knowing something about growing so I bought a book and watched a YouTube video by Dr. Bruce Bugbee. For those of you triggered by his name, I apologize, but that ma taught me how to grow and Elaine Ingham taught me what soil to use to maximize my success.
One thing most of us fail to consider is the labor costs. All those legal dispensaries or provisioning centers are charging for their costs in insurance, rents, licenses, transporting, etc. And all through the process there are labor costs that we actually do for free as our own growers.

Look at the growing portion. Not only does the grower have to pay those pesky license, rents, insurance costs but they have to hire people to help with the work. Admittedly, many of the labor positions are minimum wage jobs but eventually some of those people get a raise. Some of them are experienced workers in building maintenance. It continues adding up.

Not long and that $50 an ounce weed coming out the basement would be costing $500 if we had to hire someone to help paint the walls of the grow room, help set up the tent, help mix fertilizers & water and the costs continue.
That is very true, your point is well taken. I recently read that in some states if you operate multiple dispensaries and run out of stock in a specific store, you must pay a Licensed Cannabis Transporter (Jason Statham?) to help you transfer the physical stock from one store to another. That list of people on a dispensary's payroll seems endless.

Past 7 years been growing 2 plants per grow averaging 9.6oz per plant in the large pots sometimes a 3rd plant squeezed in, in a small 10 gal pot averaging around 6-7 oz so around 19+ oz per grow two grows per year a couple times did 3 grows and a few times 3 plants.
Thats somewhere around 305 oz in 7 years out of my bathtub.
Thats about $114,000 of bud and oil in 7 years.
I think my total cost to produce that is around $3,800.
So a savings of over $110,000 or over $15,000 per year thats at what I would consider the low end of what top shelf 100% organic bud would be at the average dispensary ($375 oz) plus all oil we've made from it.

Massive cost savings.

Back
Top Bottom