Homegrown savings?

ed the head

For me, it's going on 3 years now growing my own.

It's been an invaluable experience on many levels, not the least of which is savings by consuming my own homegrown.

I've been putting the money I used to spend on cannabis into this project Rev War Vet Home Reno

Putting savings to good use

How about you all? Where have you directed your homegrown savings?

Massive reinvestments in grow facilities? :cheesygrinsmiley: Photos?

:Namaste:

It's been an invaluable experience on many levels, not the least of which is savings by consuming my own homegrown.

I've been putting the money I used to spend on cannabis into this project Rev War Vet Home Reno

Cannabis Growing Knowledge is Truly Invaluable!!! I'm 6 some years of growing my own Medicine.. It's needed for health issues. Internal inflammation, IBS, gerd, etc.

Without growing my own, there would be no way in hell I could afford to Pay $ for the amount of meds I need for edibals and flowers. I can pull off a Year supply of meds for $150-200 growin it myself over one summer/fall!!
Without a doubt, growing your own is not only Very cost effective. It's Also Very mentally healing and relaxing :hookah:

Ed, hope all is well in your world.

Your right on about the cost savings we experience by growing our own pot. Back when, ma and I would easley spend 200 - 300 bucks a month on smoke. Now it's about that amount a year.
Never gave it much thought about what I do with the savings, I'm just thankful I have that extra to put toward everyday expenses.

My big gig about growing my own is picking out the strain I want instead of accepting anything that's available on the street. Heck, now I can get a license from the state to buy some quality stuff if I want. Things have sure changed over the years conserning pot.

I did some cyphering and determined it took about 1 good 10 oz. yield to get my money back, figuring in all the gear, (lights, tent, fans, soil, testing equipment, power, and nutes). So now basically I only pay for nutes, soil, and power, which runs about $250-$300 per grow, with electricity being the greatest cost @ about $60/month in added electricity.
And just as importantly, it doesn't even factor in the entertainment value and fun I have in the growing process!!

We consume about a gram a day. End goal is for one or two good grows a year to meet those needs. My harvests have definitely paid for my investment in equipment, but I am still not where I want to be yet. Either way, doing something I really look forward to every day and not having to buy it for half the year is huge.

How true Phytoplankton, I'm on pins and needles waiting for April to put out 10 new strains I'll be growing along with a couple favorites.
Safe growing.
I don't know your location, but if in the Northern hemi, be careful about putting them out in April, I had a bad experience doing that with clones, the light period wasn't long enough and they went into flower at about 6 inches! 2 re-vegged, the other two just flowered and faded away! Now I wait until about mid-May, just something to consider, dependent on your location.

I don't know your location, but if in the Northern hemi, be careful about putting them out in April, I had a bad experience doing that with clones, the light period wasn't long enough and they went into flower at about 6 inches! 2 re-vegged, the other two just flowered and faded away! Now I wait until about mid-May, just something to consider, dependent on your location.
Great advice Phyto! I put clones out about 4 yrs ago under the Summer sun in the first week of May one season and they reveged something fierce. And I'm at the 47 parallel. I don't put anything outside until June 5 at the earliest anymore.

.. I'm at the 47 parallel. I don't put anything outside until June 5 at the earliest anymore.
We are down closer to the 45th Parallel which is the Detroit and Windsor (Ontario) area. I can put plants outside as early as mid-May so we get an extra couple of weeks in the spring and again in the fall.

Just in case, if other Michigan growers are curious, the 47th Parallel is up around the Mackinaw Bridge.

I put clones out about 4 yrs ago under the Summer sun in the first week of May one season and they reveged something fierce.
Cabin Fever followed by Spring Fever and many of us cannot avoid going outside and making plans for our lawns and gardens ;) .

Several years ago there was a thread from someone in California who put all his plants out as soon as the weather broke in the spring. Warm days and warm nights and he figured he was all set for a great growing season. Then one day he noticed that his plants were going into full flowering.

Once he got it sorted out between length of day versus length of quality growing light he had to install several lights in his outdoor garden, which was a decent size judging by his photos, to get the plants to go back into a veg state and keep them there until there was good sunlight for 12 plus hours a day. He caught it early so the "re-veg" did not take long. Then the steady growth until his real flowering season started sometime in August.

we had 6 inches snowfall the last wk of may ...

Great advice Phyto! I put clones out about 4 yrs ago under the Summer sun in the first week of May one season and they reveged something fierce. And I'm at the 47 parallel. I don't put anything outside until June 5 at the earliest anymore.
I'm down around the 40th parallel, and I had problems putting plants outdoors in April. Mid-may will work, but I tend to wait until the first week of June, just to be sure. They usually start flowering around mid August, and by then they've almost grown out the top of the greenhouse (took the roof off a couple years ago, really helped with RH and overheat issues).

We are down closer to the 45th Parallel which is the Detroit and Windsor (Ontario) area. I can put plants outside as early as mid-May so we get an extra couple of weeks in the spring and again in the fall.

Just in case, if other Michigan growers are curious, the 47th Parallel is up around the Mackinaw Bridge.

Cabin Fever followed by Spring Fever and many of us cannot avoid going outside and making plans for our lawns and gardens ;) .

Several years ago there was a thread from someone in California who put all his plants out as soon as the weather broke in the spring. Warm days and warm nights and he figured he was all set for a great growing season. Then one day he noticed that his plants were going into full flowering.

Once he got it sorted out between length of day versus length of quality growing light he had to install several lights in his outdoor garden, which was a decent size judging by his photos, to get the plants to go back into a veg state and keep them there until there was good sunlight for 12 plus hours a day. He caught it early so the "re-veg" did not take long. Then the steady growth until his real flowering season started sometime in August.
I am exactly Due West of the Michigan area at the 47 parallel. The western Washington area.. It's always a safe bet to put plants out the first of June here. But any more I have been doing light deprivation starting as early as may 1.

That's solely dependent on the outside weather conditions though. I have been in the last couple yrs, doing a light deprivation from mid may to end of July. Simply by albeit annoying and a hassle, packing plants from inside the tent on a 12 hr dark period to outside under the natural outdoor Summer Sunshine, then back into the tent for 12 hrs. Rinse And Repeat for the entire flowering phase. It produces a MUCH Higher quality Bud. :passitleft:

Phy, great hearing from you, have been away from the community for a few days.

I grow in Florida and from seed, I germinate around mid Apl and keep the seedlings under a light for a few weeks, then they go outdoor around the 1st to 2nd week in May. Temps are usually in the mid to high 70's at that time. If the weather is cool in the evenings I put a quart jar over the seedling which are housed in Jiffy pots, if it rains I put them under cover. A month later they go into their permanent home, a 5 gal fabric container.

When they go into veg, around the 3rd node or so, they get topped and the toppings goes into soil, the one's that survive, either most or all of them, are given to a friend who finish's them under lights.

Take care my friend and be prosperous.

Phy, great hearing from you, have been away from the community for a few days.

I grow in Florida and from seed, I germinate around mid Apl and keep the seedlings under a light for a few weeks, then they go outdoor around the 1st to 2nd week in May. Temps are usually in the mid to high 70's at that time. If the weather is cool in the evenings I put a quart jar over the seedling which are housed in Jiffy pots, if it rains I put them under cover. A month later they go into their permanent home, a 5 gal fabric container.

When they go into veg, around the 3rd node or so, they get topped and the toppings goes into soil, the one's that survive, either most or all of them, are given to a friend who finish's them under lights.

Take care my friend and be prosperous.
Glad to see you back. It makes perfect sense, you probably get an extra hour of sunlight over what I get at that time of year, and much warmer temps. I’m further north in the SF area.

I’ve yet to break even so there is no savings here. My light costs 80-100$ a month to run, plus my heating and cooling requirements, on top of all of my initial purchases and the money I seem to spend monthly.

When I do manage to get into the black I assume the savings will be eaten away in some other manner as is usual having a wife and 2 pre teenage kids.

Cannabis Growing Knowledge is Truly Invaluable!!! I'm 6 some years of growing my own Medicine.. It's needed for health issues. Internal inflammation, IBS, gerd, etc.

Without growing my own, there would be no way in hell I could afford to Pay $ for the amount of meds I need for edibals and flowers. I can pull off a Year supply of meds for $150-200 growin it myself over one summer/fall!!
Without a doubt, growing your own is not only Very cost effective. It's Also Very mentally healing and relaxing :hookah:
So true! Up in Massachusetts, they're charging $528 for one ounce of top shelf flower. JERSEY AND NY will have similar pricing. Government weed costs BIG BUCKS, which is why I grow my own. One seed can yield 12 ozs to 1 pound of flower if you're growing properly. Now that's a fantastic savings and you know EXACTLY what's in it.

I’ve yet to break even so there is no savings here. My light costs 80-100$ a month to run, plus my heating and cooling requirements, on top of all of my initial purchases and the money I seem to spend monthly.

When I do manage to get into the black I assume the savings will be eaten away in some other manner as is usual....
Yep. We see so many people sign up and say something like they have never grown a plant before but they spent $100s on equipment, supplies and seeds. And, they are going to love this new hobby they have no experience with.:D.

Hobbies are 'money pits', meant to keep people occupied and having some fun learning how to make that hobby work. Sometimes, after years, a hobby might make an extra couple $1s or save some if the right project comes along. Otherwise, just a 'money pit' making money for those who sell the equipment and supplies.

For the most part the real profit will come after we die and our wives and kids sell everything off so they can then call it their own money and spend it on their own hobby.:).

When I do manage to get into the black I assume the savings will be eaten away in some other manner as is usual having a wife and 2 pre teenage kids.
Kefka, how and what do you grow and what's your typical yield?

Howdy as for me I reinvest in my grow for more effective, efficient, and sustainable ways of doing this and if what Xtra I take in after that goes to like coffee at the gas station for elderly ppl and donations To Wounded Warrior,the Humane Society, Ukraine and the earth quake victims in Turkey and reinvestment in my house for more climate friendly ways to get hot water like a on demand hot water heater and insulation in the attic and walls and we heat with a pellet stove 0 carbon emissions and the fuel is scraps of wood pressed into pellets although we do have a high efficiency furnace we just don't use it so that's what I do when there is a profit and I only do 6 plants but it's a lucrative venture ✌️Ron from Michigan

Back
Top Bottom