Homegrown savings?

Howdy as for me I reinvest in my grow for more effective, efficient, and sustainable ways of doing this and if what Xtra I take in after that goes to like coffee at the gas station for elderly ppl and donations To Wounded Warrior,the Humane Society, Ukraine and the earth quake victims in Turkey and reinvestment in my house for more climate friendly ways to get hot water like a on demand hot water heater and insulation in the attic and walls and we heat with a pellet stove 0 carbon emissions and the fuel is scraps of wood pressed into pellets although we do have a high efficiency furnace we just don't use it so that's what I do when there is a profit and I only do 6 plants but it's a lucrative venture ✌️Ron from Michigan
Oh and all my utilities costs and re amendment cost come right off the top before any money is put somewhere else gotta pay the bills if you want to stay in business

I’ve yet to break even so there is no savings here. My light costs 80-100$ a month to run, plus my heating and cooling requirements, on top of all of my initial purchases and the money I seem to spend monthly.

When I do manage to get into the black I assume the savings will be eaten away in some other manner as is usual having a wife and 2 pre teenage kids.
I wish I could tell you the crum snatchers get less expensive as they get older, but it ain’t so. They get less toys, but they’re a lot more costly. Then there’s college, I told my kids they better get good jobs, so they can support me in the manner I’m accustomed to in my old age. My son told me “Dad, when you get old, you’re going in the cheap home!” Little bastage!!(LOL)

Me and the wife have smoked weed since there was dirty to grow it in. it was fine when ya paid 150 bucks for a pound when I started growing we were spending 200 bucks a week since i started growing we spend 400 bucks a week But there aint a gadget I dont have:rofl:. No serious after the initial investment we save a lot of money and get better pot seems the commercial/dispensary weed already has the best parts taken off of it By a trim machine think about it they dont only sell the bud they strip off all the trichome covering and turn it into wax/hash /edibles we get the stripped down version without any options and they get paid twice for every bud we use to buy Best grown is homegrown

If I want to have cannabis I have to grow. Here in MA the prices even with my MML is just way too much. Since December I've spent over $400 on shit "small bud" for $70 a 1/2. At this point my grow cost me $30 a month for electricity. Now I know my product is not as good as most on here but its as good if not better than what the dispensary sells

I’ve yet to break even so there is no savings here. My light costs 80-100$ a month to run, plus my heating and cooling requirements, on top of all of my initial purchases and the money I seem to spend monthly.

When I do manage to get into the black I assume the savings will be eaten away in some other manner as is usual having a wife and 2 pre teenage kids.
Just two! Lucky you!

NTH

If I want to have cannabis I have to grow. Here in MA the prices even with my MML is just way too much. Since December I've spent over $400 on shit "small bud" for $70 a 1/2. At this point my grow cost me $30 a month for electricity. Now I know my product is not as good as most on here but its as good if not better than what the dispensary sells
If you like it and it works that's all that counts 👍. Cool beans!!!

Yep. We see so many people sign up and say something like they have never grown a plant before but they spent $100s on equipment, supplies and seeds. And, they are going to love this new hobby they have no experience with.:D.

Hobbies are 'money pits', meant to keep people occupied and having some fun learning how to make that hobby work. Sometimes, after years, a hobby might make an extra couple $1s or save some if the right project comes along. Otherwise, just a 'money pit' making money for those who sell the equipment and supplies.

For the most part the real profit will come after we die and our wives and kids sell everything off so they can then call it their own money and spend it on their own hobby.:).
At first research research research you know when I first started doing this you had to get beans with a po box and or know someone with good genetic clones or beans not like outta the old Columbian we used to get for $5 nickel bags🤔🤣🤣 and SNEAK in and out of the grow store shit there were no grow stores or internet when I started I'm a Old 💩 but True story so if you research and get good equipment up front the intinal cost is hard but once you become more cost effective with the way you do it you'd surprise yourself how much it's worth the while not to mention now you have to compete with the dispensary I'm a care giver by the way with 6 patients at one time but am I saying you'll get rich NO but what I am saying is that you can pay for the grow and have some carrying around cash with good habits it addes up it was especially lucrative during the pandemic 😁✌️

I have to admit not only did I fall in love with growing pot, I has a terrible seed addiction lol I have enough seeds to grow it will take the rest of my life. well my kids and grandkids will have a stash to start with lol

Canachris: I traveled up to Massachusetts in 2019, shortly after legalization and had the good fortune of hitting a Rise dispensary where a bud tender offered me Brownie Scout, which tested at 33% THCa, which is my absolute favorite strain. There's no discounting for adult use products up there, so $528 is insane money for 28g of even top-shelf flower. I took a shot and started reading where the growing community was with indoor lighting. CFL, HPS, HID and MH seemed off-putting due to heat concerns and cooling needs. 3-4 years ago blurple LED's were all the rage and now it's QB's and light strips offering a full spectrum of light the the plant requires including far red and UV with very little heat output. A 300w full spectrum LED grow light will provide the PAR your plant needs to reach its full potential. I had a small corner of the basement where a 3x3 tent would fit nicely so I started ordering. Maybe it all cost $550 and a typical 3 month grow costs about $300, including the compost/soil I buy, water and power costs and if you add the amortized costs of the initial investment to the monthly total and harvest 280g's from one plant that cost $20 for the seed, total cost per oz. is somewhere around $50 and you're in full control of what you grow. I agree completely.

At first research research research ...
Oh yes. Only thing is way too many will say they are new and have never planted a seed or grown a plant before but they will make this their new hobby. And they have not looked up anything. No research, nada, nothing. Look through the first message in many threads asking for help with "is this a female or male" for starters.

Or, the new hobby grower who has no idea the pH is important in hydro grows but he has $500 worth of lights and supplies but does not want to spend another $35 to $50 for a basic pen.

The best "lack of research" I read about was on another message board. The new grower bought everything including seeds at $10 each. He planted 5 and put them on the cupboard shelf above the fridge where it was warm. They all sprouted and he was happy until several days later they were dead. Planted another 5 and the same result. He asked what he was doing wrong. Turns out he did no research and had no clue that after the seeds sprouted he had to take them out of the cupboard and put those new seedlings under lights.

Maybe it all cost $550 and a typical 3 month grow costs about $300, including the compost/soil I buy, water and power costs and if you add the amortized costs of the initial investment to the monthly total and harvest 280g's from one plant that cost $20 for the seed, total cost per oz. is somewhere around $50 and you're in full control of what you grow.
One thing most of us fail to consider is the labor costs. All those legal dispensaries or provisioning centers are charging for their costs in insurance, rents, licenses, transporting, etc. And all through the process there are labor costs that we actually do for free as our own growers.

Look at the growing portion. Not only does the grower have to pay those pesky license, rents, insurance costs but they have to hire people to help with the work. Admittedly, many of the labor positions are minimum wage jobs but eventually some of those people get a raise. Some of them are experienced workers in building maintenance. It continues adding up.

Not long and that $50 an ounce weed coming out the basement would be costing $500 if we had to hire someone to help paint the walls of the grow room, help set up the tent, help mix fertilizers & water and the costs continue.

I'm a caregiver didn't say I was getting rich by no means I'm just saying it can pay for itself I still have a job and pay my taxes

not claiming you were. it's legal minefield out there. caregivers here are barred from any sort of financial compensation.

Well what I said above is old news anyways before the recreational came along and all the dispensaries opened here in Michigan if you have a card you pay less state tax at the dispensary but card holder or not I can have up to 12 plants legally but here a few years ago caregivers could work with the dispensary and have patients but you needed to claim it on state income tax if you earned any money that's the law

Well what I said above is old news anyways before the recreational came along and all the dispensaries opened here in Michigan if you have a card you pay less state tax at the dispensary but card holder or not I can have up to 12 plants legally but here a few years ago caregivers could work with the dispensary and have patients but you needed to claim it on state income tax if you earned any money that's the law
Recreational in Michigan has the 12 plant limit. Also more restrictions if trying to grow outside. Some people are holding onto their medical card so that they can grow someone else's plants. A person signs up for 6 plants; they get one at harvest and the grower keeps the other five for his or her work. There are other benefits to having a medical card but recreational growing is starting to outweigh some of the new hassles of having the med card.

Last I looked there were attempts to change or even get rid of the medical card.

One thing most of us fail to consider is the labor costs. All those legal dispensaries or provisioning centers are charging for their costs in insurance, rents, licenses, transporting, etc. And all through the process there are labor costs that we actually do for free as our own growers.

Look at the growing portion. Not only does the grower have to pay those pesky license, rents, insurance costs but they have to hire people to help with the work. Admittedly, many of the labor positions are minimum wage jobs but eventually some of those people get a raise. Some of them are experienced workers in building maintenance. It continues adding up.

Not long and that $50 an ounce weed coming out the basement would be costing $500 if we had to hire someone to help paint the walls of the grow room, help set up the tent, help mix fertilizers & water and the costs continue.

legal growing for commercial here is a much more intensive business process.

you can't rent anything, you have to own the facilities, it has to be physically isolated and protected, you need deep pockets for licensing, your market is restricted, insane levels of taxes eat everything, and the black market can produce product at a tenth of your costs still. oh, and there's a glut of legal weed.

most of the large growers are in deep trouble right now. some dispensaries have started dropping prices to move flower faster, but it's at a rate that won't pay overhead. the taxes are feeding the black market.

it's a bit different here since legal. the gov't is slowly trying to move folk away from medical grow licensing now that there is a legal rec limit to grow. medical is harder to attain in some places here, and there is no provision for any compensation now.

anyone who still holds a med license is hanging on to it hard fisted. some compassion clubs and the like have shut now because of the issue, others are making a go if it from donations by folk who grow legal under rec, or still hold a license.

other than that you have to go commercial. which is a no-starter.

Back
Top Bottom