Horrible scrolling...very slow and jumpy

Lil Neutrino

I experience this problem only when using my "secondary" computer which is basically my old computer that I built a few years back. Anyway, it has a 2GHz Athlon X2 (dual core), 2GB RAM, and a 128Mb (I think, might be 256) Radeon X1950PRO video card (factory overclocked)...not exactly a slouch, especially for surfing the internet.

When I am in ANY forum on this site be it the main index or a subforum or am reading any thread with or without pics (one pic, five pics, ten pics, doesn't matter) it scrolls like an epileptic on valium...only way I can describe it. Other forums with pic intensive threads it scrolls smooth as can be but not so here. Even the home page does the same thing so it's not limited to the forums.

I scroll down with mouse wheel and it is slow to react and move the page down. When it does move it jumps one line at a time (roughly, maybe 1.5) almost like I am using an ancient computer and the hardware is freaking out. It is like downloading a large picture with dial-up and watching the pic appear line by line only in this case it's everything from text to graphics. Makes it very annoying to try and read anything, I have resorted to using the Page Down button or trying to guess how many times I should scroll.

It does not do this when I use my other computer that uses an Intel Core2Duo with twice the RAM and a pretty nice Nvidia video card. But like I said, the specs on this computer are far from out-dated and it only occurs on this particular forum.

Any ideas? Thanks! I love this forum but this problem is giving me a headache :( I would use my other computer but a 50" monitor isn't as great as it sounds for reading after about 10 minutes lol.

Ok...this is interesting, I normally use Firefox but on a whim I tried Exploder to see if it would make a difference and the site performs as it should. Anyone else here using FF having the same problem? I've never noticed it on ANY other website be it a forum, company website, or whatever. I hate IE with a passion so that's not an option just to view this forum...and I don't really want to install a third browser (not a fan of Chrome either, haven't tried Opera though). I love this site but this scrolling issue is driving me NUTS!!!

High Lil

I have this same problem on one of my computers, but not others that I use.

I believe its the video memory's inability to quickly redraw the screen. Whenever I reboot the problem stops but degrades again over time as I open more applications etc.

I know you don't want to install a third browser but I will mention that I have less of an issue when using Safari.

Thanks Soniq...I have tried rebooting and going straight back to the forums here but it doesn't help. I'll try Safari and see how that goes...

I'm not sure my problem is the video card being able to redraw the screen quick enough. As I mentioned it's a decent video card and I can play graphic intensive games like Oblivion at a decent resolution an detail level...it works fine with Explorer when viewing this forum, I think it's a problem within Firefox. I just fine it really strange that this is the only forum I have issues with and it seems to be unrelated to any pics that may be posted as text only threads perform just as poorly.

I'm going to dig around and see if I can figure out if anyone has had this problem with other forums and FF and if they were able to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom