Hot temperatures - their effects

Hi all, other than holes being burned in various leaves. Can a healthy cannabis plant withstand extremely hot temperatures? My lady in SoCal has to handle 100 degrees F. I'm wondering how this will change anything.

Obviously I know 75 is more ideal. Any opinions to make me feel better? :D

As long as they are getting plenty of water I see no problem. If they are in the ground as opposed to being in a smart pot or other pot the roots will be cooler. Overheating the roots by being in an above ground pot is the only real danger. Sativas seem to do better in extreme heat than Indicas.

In Nor-Cal, where I am , the weather has been in the upper 90's and I haven't had any problems with heat related issues so far, but most of mine are in the ground. The few in the pots just need watered more often.

Another thing that may help. If temps and sun get to be too big of a problem you might consider getting some shade cloth from Home Depot or one of the other garden supply places. I do know that they use this in extreme enviroments to limit the direct sunlight that hits the plants. It doesn't help too much with temps but it keeps your plants from being fried.

I have had some problems in the past when temps went above 100 degrees F but LA Confidential seemed to thrive on it. :peace:

I have 4 strains outdoors right now in a hot 110F desert.

Chem D does not seem to give a shit. It will lose a leaf or two on the mega hot days, but its all mellow.

OG Kush loses like 5-10 leaves on a mega hot day when it ALSO gets a lot of sun

XXX does not like lots of sun. But hanging out under my tree it seems to take the hot weather ok.

Helix it hates sun, it hates heat, and TBH I kinda hate the Helix right back lol.

Many OG strains will be heat tolerant. Sativas in general are more heat tolerant then Indica.

Main thing is to make sure it gets enough water. We all know that over watering is a plant killer and causes lots of problems. But when its 100-110 degrees every day for a few weeks straight. You better damn well make sure your plant gets plenty of water.

Out here I have been watering every day for the past week. I usually go heavy water then light water the next day or two then heavy again to get the roots to grow deep. But yeah if you in mega heat with semi low humidity even watering every day can be ok.

When the temps are cooler like in the 80s or 90s I only do a deep water one day then wait 2-4 days and do another deep water.

This daily watering stuff is ONLY for extreme temps of 100 degrees or worse.

If you need to put the plants under a tree.

BTW the Og Kush and the Chem D both still grow nice even in the extreme heat.

The XXX also grows nice in the heat, its just a little 100% indica plant though. Kinda dumb of me to use outdoors. It just can not handle a lot of direct sun.

TBH with all plants I find its not the heat that kills them, its the burning hot sunlight that will burn some leaves and literally cook them until crispy. I think I am going to put a light filter over my Chem D tomorrow to prepare for this scorching hot 108 degrees that is gonna happen for the next 5 days here.

Yeah Jimmy - I thank you for sharing your experience. I have noticed that my sativa dominant OG kush is heat tolerant, and she is thriving now to 8-9 foot tall. In addition to moisture control soil, I added "Soil Moist " crystals which absorb the water, and when it drys out releases them ( much higher quality than permalite, i believe it is polyacrylamide crystals ) This seems to help a lot with the +100 degree F temperatures. It is amazing how much more tolerant to heat these organisms are compared to humans even. They seem to be able to handle it more than you or I !

Good to know that a little leaf burn is likely due to heat. Its been rather hot & humid here and I have a Diesel plant that was started indoors and moved into our garden to flower next to the tomato plants. I noticed a few rough looking spots on various leaves and was wondering what it was. I actually did a little extra water over the last few days and that was probably a good thing!

@ Relaxed Lee
My OG Kush plants (they are Larry OG x Bubba Kush) are decently heat tolerant. But I did put one of those shade tarps over them the other day since they where burning in the 108 degree temps combined with the hot sun which makes it feel more like 120 or 130. Once the temps drop to 102 or lower I will pull the shade tarp down.

My Chem D has been a real champ in this insane heat though. Havent needed to shield them and they are actually growing a lot this past week lol. They do lose 1-3 leaves a day from heat burns but thats nothing considering their size. The Og Kushes where losing 5-10 leaves a day before the shade tarp. That was a bit too much.

@WestBlunt
Well I assume it is like 1-2 feet tall by now and fairly established? Keep in mind 100 even 110 isnt THAT hot for many MJ plants. Its when you combine that heat along with a direct sun beam that really starts to cook the leaves. Sunlight is very powerful and just like people plants need to gain a tolerance for it.

If nothing else try to have the plant in at least some shade or half shade during the hours of 11-4ish. Those are the hours when the sun is brightest and the most burn can happen. They are also the times when temps are highest.

Half of my outdoor plants (mostly the indica dom ones or more wussy strains) are always under a tree. Its not a super dense leaf tree so they still get direct light shining through the tree top here in there. But it acts as a nice natural filter and they do well.

However Blue Dream is a Sativa Dom. It should be able to handle the heat a bit better. Just make sure you don't leave it out in the sun right off the bat and blast it with sun rays all day. I guarantee that will fuck it up if its not used to a ton of heat n sun.

Keep in mind watering extra in these super hot times is ok to do. But once its over dont keep over watering and resume normal watering.

Good to know that a little leaf burn is likely due to heat. Its been rather hot & humid here and I have a Diesel plant that was started indoors and moved into our garden to flower next to the tomato plants. I noticed a few rough looking spots on various leaves and was wondering what it was. I actually did a little extra water over the last few days and that was probably a good thing!

Your leaf burn while the heat doesnt help was probably caused by starting indoors then moving it outdoors during summer. The sun is powerful. Trust me I learned this the hard way :D.

Your leaf burn while the heat doesnt help was probably caused by starting indoors then moving it outdoors during summer. The sun is powerful. Trust me I learned this the hard way :D.

Jimmy - are you saying Im doing damage to her? I hope not! The friend that gave me the plant assured me she'd be OK outdoors. I actually have a atealth PC box on the way to my house that should be here by end of week. Its 26" tall and larger(server -sized) than most PC cases. Should I get her back indoors when that arrives? I was gonna place two new, smaller plants in the PC box and leave the diesel outside. I attached a few pics.... have a look.
Girly_2.jpg
Girly_1.jpg

Yes, since she is kind of young, becareful. Find some shade for her. If they are very large, healthy, and vigorous, than it will be better off to handle this heat.

The organism needs to adapt to its environment, coming from indoors, to this outdoor environment could be a shock. The longer it has to adapt to its environment, the better chance it will survive. Using the shade is a good idea to adapt to the heat, and then slowly expose it to the heat of the day. The heat we are dealing with is a powerful force, but if we have sativa dominant, good genetics, and healthy plants. They can survive the direct sunlight of 100 degree + F temperatures. Although it does tend to burn small, little holes into the leaves at time to time., But it won't stop her from becoming a 10 foot giant if she truly has adapted.

Best of luck with the heat.

And thanks again for all the opinions on this matter - it has really put my mind at ease about the heat.

Jimmy - are you saying Im doing damage to her? I hope not! The friend that gave me the plant assured me she'd be OK outdoors. I actually have a atealth PC box on the way to my house that should be here by end of week. Its 26" tall and larger(server -sized) than most PC cases. Should I get her back indoors when that arrives? I was gonna place two new, smaller plants in the PC box and leave the diesel outside. I attached a few pics.... have a look.

Think of a plant like a person. If you take a pasty white guy who is inside all day every day. Then suddenly toss him outside in the full sun for the entire day, hes gonna get burned.

However If you take the pasty white guy and put him in the direct sun for a hour or so he wont get burned. Then slowly as each day gos by he gos out in the sun a lil more day by day. Soon enough he can be in the sun all day every day no biggy.

Jimmy, I haven't tarped anything, she is OG kush ( not sure what phenotype exactly ), was labeled as "indica" but is tall and leggy and thrives in this heat. I know because I didnt top it, the yield will be less. But im OK with a nice cola. Check out a product called "Soil Moist" these crystals that absorb/release water they work AMAZING for this heat!!!

Think of a plant like a person. If you take a pasty white guy who is inside all day every day. Then suddenly toss him outside in the full sun for the entire day, hes gonna get burned.

However If you take the pasty white guy and put him in the direct sun for a hour or so he wont get burned. Then slowly as each day gos by he gos out in the sun a lil more day by day. Soon enough he can be in the sun all day every day no biggy.

Gotchya. Good analogy. Shell be just fine. I'll try and move it around so the direct sunlight is less than its been getting. Thanks!

Wow certainly looks different then my OG Kush :)

Mine is like twice as wide n more bushy but only half the height :D.

Mine also hasent started to flower like yours has. Very interesting :D.

Back
Top Bottom