How bad is it to water 1 day late?

ConstantGreen

This is my first grow and I've been waiting to water until the leaves show signs of drooping. Is that wrong? Sometimes I schedule it when I know how many days it will take. But I forgot the plants drink faster as the roots take over the pot, so 2 or 3 times throughout my grow I've watered about a day later than I wanted to and they look droopy when I do. They always recover, but now I'm in flowering and I'm wondering how bad is it to let the plants droop and be thirsty for 12-24 hours? Here's a picture, the lower leaves and shoots look very weak. I just watered them and expect they'll bounce back tomorrow but how will this affect the flower process?

IMG_072030.JPG

IMG_073235.JPG

I would tend to say that it is bad because obviously it's stressing the plant. I avoid it, myself.
However- there's a practice I don't know anything about, but have heard of in passing, of letting them dry out a lot between waterings during flowering. Supposedly whatever this technique is- it can improve potency. I heard it mentioned by SweetSue in her journal. I forget who she said does this technique but it was only a few days ago that she mentioned this and she would remember if you asked her.

Doc Bud is the one who recommends letting the plant dry up between waterings. He states that the roots have to search out water, therefore stimulating root growth which he believes leads to happier, healthier plants. He says to water them when they start to wilt, it appears that Versai has gone a bit past that point.

That being said, I believe they will be fine. Not optimal and stress can lead to hermies, but I think you will be fine. Please post some pics of them 24 hours after you water or there abouts so we can see how they recover.

If I put a plant in a new pot I might let it dry until it droops then measure the amount of water it takes to saturate the pot. Then having felt the weight of the pot dry and soaked I can tell by the feel when it needs a full watering again before it droops. Mix up 90% of what you measured and that should be just right.

Most of the stress = potency or more resin stories are urban myths and plants produce better if they aren't being slowed down by not getting what they need. Grow in DWC and they never get dry.

L8r

Yeah I think so too. People come up with all sorts of crazy ways to 'improve potency' Basically- I don't think you should be letting your plants wilt if you can possible avoid it, Versai. It is a good thing to let them dry out to the point just before wilting though.
I just glanced at Sue's comment in passing. Knowing what I've seen of Doc Bud though, whatever he is thinking there it's probably a bit more grounded in reality.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try to be more on top of it and not let them wilt like that. I took some pics last night approx 24 hours later and they're all perky and happy again.

IMG_074625.JPG

IMG_074436.JPG

But I still wonder if the flower production was slowed some. I've heard if the plant's too dry the pistils will die.

I was out of state and my wife had forgotten to water my plants and luckily I guess they had enough water in the smart pots so I lucked out for a day but I had one dry out on me that I had forgotten to water twice on my last crop

I doubt very much that you've affected flower production. Pot is a plant that is well adapted to adverse conditions like a short drought.

Looking real nice to me. :thumb:

L8r

Back
Top Bottom