How can I run a grow room off of a single 240v 30a outlet?

Damonchari

The outdoor growing season is underway and I'm looking to test my luck indoors this winter. The space I want to grow in only has one 240v 30a dryer circuit and when I look at light controllers and compatibility with accessories I just get lost.

How would I got about running one or two 1000w hps lights, fans, hydro off of a 240v dryer outlet? Any suggestions on controllers? Extension strip? Is it possible to run 120v smaller accessories like fans off of a 240?

If anyone can suggest a setup or drop some links I'd really appreciate it!
The grow area will be about 20 feet from the outlet ( as the cord flies )

Thanks for your time! ^_^

You can get a box that plugs into the dryer outlet and turns it into two regular 120 volt outlets. I have one. It came with a long cord and actually the box is also a timer though I don’t use it as such. Beyond that I don’t know much about it as it was given to me. Plugged it in 7 years ago and have been using it ever since.

What you need is a transformer somewhere in the line to convert to 120v.

I’m the furthest thing from an electrician so wouldn’t have commented at all in this thread- except I know it’s possible because I’m doing it.
There are lots of electrically minded folks here so one will come along eventually.

Oh I see we are talking about two different things. Yes I realize already that we are splitting it into two 120v circuits. That’s how you ‘run 120 on a 240 circuit’’- convert it.

I think/hope most people realize you can’t run 120v appliances on 240 volts - at least the kind of appliances we’re talking about.

There is no conversion, your not changing phase or frequency. Your using 1 hot leg instead of 2.
I won't get into beyond: if you don't KNOW what your doing don't fuck with it. I've been warned by the admin not to share diy info that could potentially harm someone.

:rolleyes: Thanks dude I’ll try to stay away from that big boy stuff. I always thought apples and oranges were different things.

System I’m using, which is much like the one posted above, has worked for my friend and I for over 15 years now. Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom