How can I use this fertilizer for my cannabis plants?

jokerlola

I was given a couple of bags of Dr. Earth Nitrogen fertilizer by a neighbor. I was going to use it for my lawn but I am wondering if I can use some of it for my outdoor cannabis plants. I am going to grow most of my outdoor plants in Sohum Living Soil but I am going to grow a few in Pro Mix and adding nutes along the way and these are where I'm wondering if I could use this Dr. Earth fertilizer and if so, how I would use it? The fertilizer is a 5-0-2, so no Phos. It is basically Alfalfa Meal, Feather Meal and Potassium Sulfate. here is the picture of the bag:

Imo I would not use it... I've tried dr.earth products on my plants in the past it did not go well.... The liquid killed two of them and caused molding in soil. I know free sounds good but id rather be safe then sorry using miracle grow or other local hardware shop "garden supply" on my medicine.

Maybe someone else has some positive experience to share....good luck on your grow regardless.

I'm wondering if I could use this Dr. Earth fertilizer and if so, how I would use it? The fertilizer is a 5-0-2, so no Phos.
It is a lawn or turf grass fertilizer and not the best as an all purpose or balanced fertilizer for other types of plants. In the US the phosphorous was banned in many states from lawn fertilizers about 20 or slightly more years ago as a way to reduce the algae blooms that were causing major problems in lakes, rivers, streams and wetlands. Plants do need phosphorous for healthy growth but many of them, especially turf grasses, are able to do just great with what is already available in the soil since most people do not grow lawns to have them go to flower and then seed.

The phosphorous and algae problem is why phosphorous was removed from most, if not all, dishwasher and laundry detergents about 12-15 years ago.

The back of the bags should have the companies recommendation for how much to use for potting soils or potted plants. I can't get a decent picture of the back but it is probably about 2 spoonful per gallon of soil mix.

The problem I see is that the plants need the Nitrogen for the vegetative stage and once the flowering stage starts the amounts should be dropped down (but not stopped entirely) while the Phosphorous and Potassium amounts are increased. Those are the major nutrients that promote flower production and help the plant remain healthy during this stage of its growth.

Use the neighbor's gift to fertilize your lawn. Get some of the fertilizers meant for growing your other plants in the Sohum Living Soil and the ProMix that you plan on using.

Imo I would not use it... I've tried dr.earth products on my plants in the past it did not go well.... The liquid killed two of them and caused molding in soil. I know free sounds good but id rather be safe then sorry using miracle grow or other local hardware shop "garden supply" on my medicine.

Maybe someone else has some positive experience to share....good luck on your grow regardless.

I really didn't realize this is basically a lawn fertilizer. There is a video on youtube stating that this particular fertilizer is high in Triacontanol so I thought that might be beneficial to use with some added phosphorus.

The Dr. Earth site says it’s a lawn and garden fertilizer, but it’s made specifically for soils that are naturally high in phosphorus. The triacontanol helps the plants absorb the mineralized phosphorus (and other nutes).
So do you think it would be good or bad to use a little of this for my cannabis plants with some added P like bonemeal or some other natural P fertilizer?

Kinda depends on if you're growing organically or synthetically. I grow with synthetic nutes, I use the Fox Farm trio and Bushmaster (Cal-Mag) and really haven't had any reason to change. Organically there are also many choices, a lot of people on this board like Geoflora brand.

Kinda depends on if you're growing organically or synthetically. I grow with synthetic nutes, I use the Fox Farm trio and Bushmaster (Cal-Mag) and really haven't had any reason to change. Organically there are also many choices, a lot of people on this board like Geoflora brand.
I've kind of been all over the map. I've used Dutch Pro (synthetic) and I've used Dr. Earth Home Grown for Tomatoes, Vegetables and Herbs which is organic. And I've grown in Sohum Living Soil. I'm doing an outdoor grow this year with some plants in Sohum and a couple plants in just Promix where I will have to supply the nutes. I'd like to try an organic
fertilizer for those or a granular like Mega Crop. Something simple.

Something simple.
The simplest way is to dig a hole in the ground, loosen up the soil, stick the plant in the soil, fill the hole back up and wait till harvest in the fall. If it is half-way decent soil to begin with it might be a surprise just how well the plant will grow and how much the harvest will weigh.

So do you think it would be good or bad to use a little of this for my cannabis plants with some added P like bonemeal or some other natural P fertilizer?
The Doctor Earth stuff will work but the bone meal or some of the other organic amendments that supply Phosphorous can take several months to two years before they break down enough to supply P for the plant. Probably would work better to find something with water soluble rock phosphate.

Back
Top Bottom