How do i make my bud turn purple

From a VERY well educated source:

Purple Cannabis

The origins of purple cannabis are as much of a mystery as the origins of the plant itself. However, purpling is as natural as the changing colors on the leaves of deciduous trees in autumn, which is attributed in part to the pigment anthocyanin. Anthocyanin expression is controlled by both genetic and environmental factors. Purpling is a simple dominant Mendelian trait, with quantitative expression.

Environmental Factors

Several pigments are responsible for color in plants: chlorophyll, carotene, xanthophyll, and anthocyanins. Chlorophyll is the pigment in chloroplasts of plants that reflects green light. Plants use the energy absorbed by chlorophyll in photosynthesis to produce food for their growth and development. It is continually broken down during photosynthesis and being replenished by the plant.

Carotene and xanthophyll are pigments that reflect orange and yellow light respectively. Both are present in the chloroplasts, with chlorophyll enabling the plant to absorb a wider range of wavelengths of light and thus capture more energy. These pigments are present in such small quantities that the more dominant chlorophyll typically masks them.

During flowering, with the passing of summer, days become shorter. The phytochromes, the light-sensing mechanisms in leaves, recognize the shorter day lengths. The shorter days and lower temperatures arrest chlorophyll production. Chlorophyll breaks down faster than it is replaced, allowing the yellow and orange pigments to be unmasked.

The molecules reflecting red wavelengths, anthocyanins, are water-soluble pigments that occur in the cell sap, creating the red, pink, and purple hues. These pigments may not be present during the summer, or vegetative cycle, but their formation is encouraged during a succession of cool nights and sunny days. During these days when photosynthesis and chlorophyll production are decreasing, an abundance of sugars accumulates in the leaf. The cool nights promote a separation layer of cells in the petiole—where the leaf attaches to the stem—that prevents sugar from flowing out of the leaf, and also arrests the flow of nutrients into the leaf. The formation of anthocyanin requires bright light, a diminishing water supply, and the accumulation of sugars trapped in the leaf.

Another factor that can cause purpling is nutrient deficiency, generally phosphorus. Although these stunted plants may bedazzle the novice, they are typically quite distinguishable from naturally occurring anthocyanin expression, due to the other visible adverse side effects of nutrient deficiency, such as leaf and bud malformation and low calyx-to-leaf ratios.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Purple Cannabis

The origins of purple cannabis are as much of a mystery as the origins of the plant itself. However, purpling is as natural as the changing colors on the leaves of deciduous trees in autumn, which is attributed in part to the pigment anthocyanin. Anthocyanin expression is controlled by both genetic and environmental factors. Purpling is a simple dominant Mendelian trait, with quantitative expression.

Environmental Factors

Several pigments are responsible for color in plants: chlorophyll, carotene, xanthophyll, and anthocyanins. Chlorophyll is the pigment in chloroplasts of plants that reflects green light. Plants use the energy absorbed by chlorophyll in photosynthesis to produce food for their growth and development. It is continually broken down during photosynthesis and being replenished by the plant.

Carotene and xanthophyll are pigments that reflect orange and yellow light respectively. Both are present in the chloroplasts, with chlorophyll enabling the plant to absorb a wider range of wavelengths of light and thus capture more energy. These pigments are present in such small quantities that the more dominant chlorophyll typically masks them.

During flowering, with the passing of summer, days become shorter. The phytochromes, the light-sensing mechanisms in leaves, recognize the shorter day lengths. The shorter days and lower temperatures arrest chlorophyll production. Chlorophyll breaks down faster than it is replaced, allowing the yellow and orange pigments to be unmasked.

The molecules reflecting red wavelengths, anthocyanins, are water-soluble pigments that occur in the cell sap, creating the red, pink, and purple hues. These pigments may not be present during the summer, or vegetative cycle, but their formation is encouraged during a succession of cool nights and sunny days. During these days when photosynthesis and chlorophyll production are decreasing, an abundance of sugars accumulates in the leaf. The cool nights promote a separation layer of cells in the petiole—where the leaf attaches to the stem—that prevents sugar from flowing out of the leaf, and also arrests the flow of nutrients into the leaf. The formation of anthocyanin requires bright light, a diminishing water supply, and the accumulation of sugars trapped in the leaf.

Another factor that can cause purpling is nutrient deficiency, generally phosphorus. Although these stunted plants may bedazzle the novice, they are typically quite distinguishable from naturally occurring anthocyanin expression, due to the other visible adverse side effects of nutrient deficiency, such as leaf and bud malformation and low calyx-to-leaf ratios.

Dang JL just dropped the hammer!
Too many individual experiences and the pics in this thread prove that purple pot can be accomplished with unpredictable results from many factors besides genetics. +reps when I can!

Purple Cannabis

Environmental Factors

basically what i said, but with bigger, fancier words and a lil' extra info.

Nice post :grinjoint:
+rep

I am working on a pink strain for breast cancer awareness. Yeah...I take me lights on temps to 88.7 for the first two hours...then take it to 83.4 for another two hours, then for four hours we goto 98.7, then the last four at 81.1 degrees Fahrenheit and then with the lights off I go from 71 steadly going down in temp until I reach 39.9 degrees and whamo...they turn pink :p

At last I think he's getting the concept.:welldone:

Grow 101- For those of us who are not interested in building a medicinal rocket ship- Purple strains are called purple because at the end of the grow cycle, the leaves of true P- strains do in fact turn purple. Think of it like this. In the fall, in a natural setting (outdoors), all leaves begin to turn/die. Yellows, golds, crimsons and yes, purples signal the end of the leaf cycle and the cooler and colder climate of fall is the primary trigger.

It's interesting how we readily accept the fact that a simple maple leaf can turn from dark green to a stunning crimson red but somehow, a leaf turning purple is somewhat of a novelty or maybe it's just a stoner thing. LOL Without going into the actual process as to why the P-strain MJ leaf turns purple (Personally, I could care less about the botanical scientifics) instead of the accepted brown, gold, bright yellow or the afore mentioned crimson red, it would suffice to say, it just does.

In short, in the outdoor growing arena, it's the cooler and colder weather that "purps up the leaves" and incidentally, the degree of color is the common yardstick as to "probable" potency which is directly related to when the plant was harvested. A bud/flower with light to medium purple color indicates good harvest timing while a darker purple bud/flower can mean the plant was left too long. For you stoner students, this part will be included in our upcoming test right next to the mathematical question- 'If a plane leaves Chicago..." BTW, in the resale game, the color purple, in the right amounts, is the color of money...

All that is necessary to achieve the purple color of the P-strain indoors is to mimic the outdoor fall climate towards the end end of your grow cycle. Drop your room temps during the last several weeks to "snap" the plants. True P-strains will begin to turn in the first 3 days or so. The trick is to drop the temps low enough to "snap" the plants but not low enough to freeze. It can be a slippery slope and should not be attempted by those who are adverse to a little grow gambling now n then...:peace: MF

I am working on a pink strain for breast cancer awareness. Yeah...I take me lights on temps to 88.7 for the first two hours...then take it to 83.4 for another two hours, then for four hours we goto 98.7, then the last four at 81.1 degrees Fahrenheit and then with the lights off I go from 71 steadly going down in temp until I reach 39.9 degrees and whamo...they turn pink :p

You mean something like this! Grow for the Cure!

000_01591.JPG

no...comes from a Phd in Botany bro!

I don't know you or anything about your intelligence or experiance, but I have met many people educated beyond their intelligence....my response to you was mostly based on your attitude in responding to the other posts. There are many intelligent and experianced growers here. For you to make such emphatic statements without considering that the peeps you are talking to may have more experiance and intelligence in the subject matter than yourself, is callous and disrespectful. I hope that you will spend some time here at 420 and get to know some of the folks...they are a good bunch of people and many are extremely knowledgeable about what they do! IMHO :grinjoint:

No disrespect greenthumb422 but climate CAN make your plants purple!! Again I said can, not always but sometimes. If it is all genetics then why did 3 out of 10 of mine from the same mother, that is not purple by the way, turn when introduced to a colder climate? Some "purple" strains have it bread in them but others will still turn color due to climate!!! And a PHD in botany doesn't equal good bud (or a personality for that matter). I know a high school drop-out that grows some of the best nugs I have seen thus far.

I don't know you or anything about your intelligence or experiance, but I have met many people educated beyond their intelligence....my response to you was mostly based on your attitude in responding to the other posts. There are many intelligent and experianced growers here. For you to make such emphatic statements without considering that the peeps you are talking to may have more experiance and intelligence in the subject matter than yourself, is callous and disrespectful. I hope that you will spend some time here at 420 and get to know some of the folks...they are a good bunch of people and many are extremely knowledgeable about what they do! IMHO :grinjoint:

LOL I'm with ya bro...Those who talk the most have the least to say...:peace:MF

You folks need to lighten up and smoke some of your medicine. I don't have a Phd was just having fun and being light hearted. I understand about your dilemma, and regardless of anything...It's still in the genetics of the plant that causes it to turn purple. Maybe the temp drop causes it...cool..that's fine...purple is a great contrast wth the green. If you believe that...grow on!! Keep up the good work. not trying to offend you, or anyone. I don't know anything and I just want peace and harmony...can't we all just get along??

Back
Top Bottom