How does seed growing differ from bud growing?

clrwatrtom

Hi All.
I was just wondering after dropping too much money for seeds, How do growers grow to reproduce seeds verses how do we grow for flower. I would also like to know how can seeds be identified as male or female. I'm sure the plant material from pollenated females could be used. any direction on how to find this information? Anyone with answers?
Thanks in advance for all who jump in on this one.
On your marks, get set...........GO!:420:

There is no real way to tell a male from a female seed. The ratio is 50% and the only way to know for sure is to grow it out for about 4 weeks. In order to produce pollen so that you can produce seeds from the female plants, you need to buy at least 5 regular plants and grow them out. Once you have a male plant isolated it is possible to collect his pollen and use that to carefully pollinate only a single branch of a female plant. That one branch can produce a hundred seeds or more. Please look at my tutorial on this subject to see how I did it.

Have you had sucess growing new plants from your seed grow? Have you tracked percentages of good seed vs bad? No. Of males to females?. That kinda stuff
That depends on the seedbank you are dealing with as to how many are viable. Most of the seedbanks, especially our sponsors, are very good about not selling junk seeds and it is rare to find bad ones. Ratio of male to female over the long run is 50%... no one has any way of controlling that number.
I have over 85 varieties of seeds in my collection right now, from seedbanks all over the world. I have had a few "free seed" failures, as could be expected, but unless I messed up in the germination, any seed pack of 3 or more that I have ever planted has produced growable plants. Generally I will germinate 5 plants from a batch, and will pick out 1 male to get pollen from to produce more seeds, and then however many females I get determine what the grow is going to look like. If the odds are against me on that run, and I only get one female and 4 males, no problem. I simply work with the male as I would have done, and then I take multiple cuttings from my female and produce clones that I can populate my bloom tent with and then I send my mother plant off to the side to play with the male plant so as to produce seeds.
My advice is to stay with our sponsors. Not only is their quality better and they will give our members discounts, but if something goes wrong they will also try to work with you to make things right.

Thank you Emilya. So how do seed banks get away with selling and warranting feminized seeds?
More questions!

Female seeds are taken/made by reversing a female plant or branch and creating pollen. A few types of chemicals can do this. Then pollination of that plant or a branch or even other plants is done with the femanized pollen

Making your own seeds is fun, I've done and created many Strains myself

Butt!!!!!

Pollen is like the PLAGUE!!!!...lol. It can get every female plant pregnant in the neighborhood if yer not careful

Trust me I know

Hi All.
I was just wondering after dropping too much money for seeds, How do growers grow to reproduce seeds verses how do we grow for flower. I would also like to know how can seeds be identified as male or female. I'm sure the plant material from pollenated females could be used. any direction on how to find this information? Anyone with answers?
Thanks in advance for all who jump in on this one.
On your marks, get set...........GO!:420:
When a plant can be worth a 100+ times what you paid for a good seed, how can it be too much? It takes a few years to breed a good strain. The effort doesn't come free.

When a plant can be worth a 100+ times what you paid for a good seed, how can it be too much? It takes a few years to breed a good strain. The effort doesn't come free.
Exactly!!!

Taken me over 2yrs to create some fantastic crosses, and recently, focus's on Fem seeds

Fun fun fun

Back
Top Bottom