How long after nute burn in veg before flower?

meffa

I'm on my second indoor grow and my newbie skills are shining as bright as ever! I managed to burn my plants by feeding on top of the FF Happy Frog soil that I'm in, guess I had a brain cramp and didn't realize they didn't need me to add nutrients to this soil.

I've given two low doses of Plant Magic which is ready-to-mix compost tea and they seem to be responding to it and are back to growing normally. I topped and pruned these ladies prior and all plants are over two months old since germination.

I really want to put these plants into flower but want to make sure they're ready. Any thoughts on what to look for before flipping to flower?

Thanks to some good info from Emilya I'll be going organic with my next grow using GeoFlora. I was so disgusted with myself for letting this happen that I almost trashed all of the plants, but I've come off the ledge and would really like to finish these plants off in style.

I'm also wondering if I can use the GeoFlora bloom for these ladies, or do I need to stick to bottled nutes at this point?

Any and all thoughts much appreciated!

I'm on my second indoor grow and my newbie skills are shining as bright as ever! I managed to burn my plants by feeding on top of the FF Happy Frog soil that I'm in, guess I had a brain cramp and didn't realize they didn't need me to add nutrients to this soil.

I've given two low doses of Plant Magic which is ready-to-mix compost tea and they seem to be responding to it and are back to growing normally. I topped and pruned these ladies prior and all plants are over two months old since germination.

I really want to put these plants into flower but want to make sure they're ready. Any thoughts on what to look for before flipping to flower?

Thanks to some good info from Emilya I'll be going organic with my next grow using GeoFlora. I was so disgusted with myself for letting this happen that I almost trashed all of the plants, but I've come off the ledge and would really like to finish these plants off in style.

I'm also wondering if I can use the GeoFlora bloom for these ladies, or do I need to stick to bottled nutes at this point?

Any and all thoughts much appreciated!

You can definitely move over to the @GeoFlora Nutrients at any time you would like, and I recommend doing it sooner rather than later. I can see good reasons to hit them with some Geoflora veg now and then in 2 more weeks and after your flip, hit them with the bloom formula on the next scheduled feeding.

I also want to clear up a misconception. Happy Frog is NOT a strong soil with nutes already in it. It is a light starter soil that is mostly comprised of sphagnum moss, with very little other than some natural nitrogen in the soil. It certainly does not call for not using nutrients with this soil, although you could get by with not using nutrients for the first 3-4 weeks if you had to. This is the main point: you can start giving nutrients on the day your seedlings hit the surface. You don't want to hit them with full strength adult plant dosages, but there is nothing stopping you from using nutes in the very beginning of the grow. If you want to have large plants, or plants that grow as fast as a hydro operation would provide, you can't do it without giving additional nutes. If you have been reading that you should not use fertilizers on young plants, you are reading the wrong sources, because they are incorrect.

As far as when to flip to bloom, that is totally up to you. There are no visual signs that indicate it is time, because the plants have been ready to make that switch since week 5. The only signs they are going to give you is alternating nodes and pistils showing up everywhere on the preflowers. The general rule is that your plants will double or more in vertical size as they make the flip, so most people growing in tents or in short rooms, use that height determination as to when it is time to go to bloom... the vertical distance remaining between the top of their plants and the light can be critically important.

You can definitely move over to the @GeoFlora Nutrients at any time you would like, and I recommend doing it sooner rather than later. I can see good reasons to hit them with some Geoflora veg now and then in 2 more weeks and after your flip, hit them with the bloom formula on the next scheduled feeding.

I also want to clear up a misconception. Happy Frog is NOT a strong soil with nutes already in it. It is a light starter soil that is mostly comprised of sphagnum moss, with very little other than some natural nitrogen in the soil. It certainly does not call for not using nutrients with this soil, although you could get by with not using nutrients for the first 3-4 weeks if you had to. This is the main point: you can start giving nutrients on the day your seedlings hit the surface. You don't want to hit them with full strength adult plant dosages, but there is nothing stopping you from using nutes in the very beginning of the grow. If you want to have large plants, or plants that grow as fast as a hydro operation would provide, you can't do it without giving additional nutes. If you have been reading that you should not use fertilizers on young plants, you are reading the wrong sources, because they are incorrect.

As far as when to flip to bloom, that is totally up to you. There are no visual signs that indicate it is time, because the plants have been ready to make that switch since week 5. The only signs they are going to give you is alternating nodes and pistils showing up everywhere on the preflowers. The general rule is that your plants will double or more in vertical size as they make the flip, so most people growing in tents or in short rooms, use that height determination as to when it is time to go to bloom... the vertical distance remaining between the top of their plants and the light can be critically important.
Thank you again, Emilya. I didn't want to continue just leaning on you and appreciate your feedback. I just took a couple of pics of the burn to show what's going on.
DSC_0049.JPG
DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

Oh wow, so that's interesting. Do you suggest adding anything specific at this point, or should I carry on normally at this point? When I say adding something specific, I'm not thinking generic potassium, but a particular product.

banana peels fermented or boiled in water will create a very nice potassium supplement. Turpinator is nothing but extra potassium. Bottom line, what you have given so far as supplements and what is in your soil, is not providing enough of this macronutrient, and your plant is showing the result. Get that Geoflora going as soon as you can is my best advice, because it is going to take 3 or 4 days to get those microbes working on fixing this.

banana peels fermented or boiled in water will create a very nice potassium supplement. Turpinator is nothing but extra potassium. Bottom line, what you have given so far as supplements and what is in your soil, is not providing enough of this macronutrient, and your plant is showing the result. Get that Geoflora going as soon as you can is my best advice, because it is going to take 3 or 4 days to get those microbes working on fixing this.
Great, thanks again. I'm expecting the Geoflora to be delivered Friday.

Back
Top Bottom