How long for phosphorus from bone meal to be available to the plant?

It’s very slow. I would let it cook in the soil for at least a month before adding a plant. And remember, bone meal is only effective in soils with a pH below 7. Alkaline soil conditions reduce nutrient uptake.

It’s very slow. I would let it cook in the soil for at least a month before adding a plant. And remember, bone meal is only effective in soils with a pH below 7. Alkaline soil conditions reduce nutrient uptake.
That’s kinda the way you want it, don’t need a lot of P&K while in veg, but as time passes more and more is available, when the plant needs it in preflower/flower.

It was sitting in the soil for 3 weeks before the plants were added, the plants are now at 4 weeks old. Each plant are in 60 litres of compost that contains a small amount of chicken manure and the soil is high quality so both the compost and the natural soil should supply the plant with enough P for a little while, a few weeks maybe (I'm just guessing).

Google is vague about this, so I ask here.
Google is just the search engine that took your string of words and came up with links that 'might' fit the question you had in mind. Mr Google leaves the vagueness up to the info in the articles you were reading.

As it is, after reading your thread about the N-P-K formulas I spent some of my free time yesterday reading up and trying to find an answer to the same sort of question. "How long before the Phosphorus in Bone Meal becomes available?"

It is generally accepted that P becomes available over 4 to 6 month period. To throw the monkey-wrench into the discussion it is also accepted that the rate is also affected by the bone meal itself. The larger the pieces of bone meal the longer it takes. A bone meal that is finely ground so it seems like a dust will have the P become available sooner and faster. A bone meal that is granular will last longer before the micro-organisms have eaten it all.

Google is just the search engine that took your string of words and came up with links that 'might' fit the question you had in mind. Mr Google leaves the vagueness up to the info in the articles you were reading.

As it is, after reading your thread about the N-P-K formulas I spent some of my free time yesterday reading up and trying to find an answer to the same sort of question. "How long before the Phosphorus in Bone Meal becomes available?"

It is generally accepted that P becomes available over 4 to 6 month period. To throw the monkey-wrench into the discussion it is also accepted that the rate is also affected by the bone meal itself. The larger the pieces of bone meal the longer it takes. A bone meal that is finely ground so it seems like a dust will have the P become available sooner and faster. A bone meal that is granular will last longer before the micro-organisms have eaten it all.
The bone meal I've got is ground into fine dust.

I think what everyone is trying to say is; very small amounts of P get released over a period of 4 to 6 months.

Seldom are things so cut and dried that there is only one answer. There are ways to get more P available to the plant, the very most important being to use myco as you uppot, so that along with the roots you are also growing a fungal network, who's primary task is to process P and get it to the plant. It is also possible to supply exactly the microbes who process the P so that each day they can begin supplying the P to the roots and the fungi using your raw P as a source. You can use a shotgun approach on this and simply apply a broad spectrum of microbes via any of the various microbial inoculation products out there or you can brew your own actively aerated compost tea using small amounts of P as an input, so that microbes that eat the P will thrive, and all others will die out. This will greatly increase the amount of available P in the container, very quickly.

Seldom are things so cut and dried that there is only one answer. There are ways to get more P available to the plant, the very most important being to use myco as you uppot, so that along with the roots you are also growing a fungal network, who's primary task is to process P and get it to the plant. It is also possible to supply exactly the microbes who process the P so that each day they can begin supplying the P to the roots and the fungi using your raw P as a source. You can use a shotgun approach on this and simply apply a broad spectrum of microbes via any of the various microbial inoculation products out there or you can brew your own actively aerated compost tea using small amounts of P as an input, so that microbes that eat the P will thrive, and all others will die out. This will greatly increase the amount of available P in the container, very quickly.
I'm GGing in the ground out in the bush. It's my understanding that plants send out signals to any myco fungi in the area and the myco fungi respond by sending spores towards the signal until they bump into a root.

The soil I planted in is quality soil with plenty of surrounding vegetation so I assume there is myco fungi in the area.

That is a good idea with the compost tea to bring in the P processing microbes, Thanks.:)

I'm GGing in the ground out in the bush. It's my understanding that plants send out signals to any myco fungi in the area and the myco fungi respond by sending spores towards the signal until they bump into a root.

The soil I planted in is quality soil with plenty of surrounding vegetation so I assume there is myco fungi in the area.

That is a good idea with the compost tea to bring in the P processing microbes, Thanks.:)
I don't think I would rely on myco being called from far and wide to come and help you. If you set a plant down into a bunch of spores, like you do when you transplant and throw some down in the hole before putting the plant in, the fungi there will find the roots and grow around them... but from 10' away in the ground outside... call me skeptical.

I don't think I would rely on myco being called from far and wide to come and help you. If you set a plant down into a bunch of spores, like you do when you transplant and throw some down in the hole before putting the plant in, the fungi there will find the roots and grow around them... but from 10' away in the ground outside... call me skeptical.
That's what I'll do on my next grow, transplant with some myco fungi to speed things up. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom