How long in seedling stage?

Orion64

I am now on Day 12 since I first put my Vanilla Kush in the glass beaker for germination. It was about 3 days when it first made its head above the ground. Another 2 days and the first true leaves started. After day 8 the first true leaves were about fully out. However, it has not done anything for the past 4 days??? The second set of leaves has started, but its grown about 3mm in the past 4 days? Is this normal? The coco is damp and I have given water at pH 5.8 once.

Im growing in 90/10 coco/perlite. 400W HID metal halide. Should I start with nutrients? This is my first grow and by reading and looking at what others are doing on the forum, it feels that my seedling should grow much faster.

Any help would be appreciated.

High Orion64

400W is a lot of juice for a little baby and that might be the problem. A seedling that small would start growing nicely under 1 23W 6500K CFL.

Might be the damn coco too. I used that stuff 14 years ago and have hated it since but that's just me. I've been using ProMix since with about 25% coarse perlite added but the last couple years got the ProMix HP that's loaded with perlite and I'm loving it. Works great right out of the bale.

If you're going to use that 400 I'd keep it at least 12" above the plant until it gets going. 18" might even be better but I'd bet it is the coco. Some of it has a lot of salt in it and needs lots of flushing before use and you should be using more perlite with it as on it's own it can mat up and make it hard for roots to establish.

Good luck.

L8r

That is a LOT of light for a baby, but you didn't mention distance. Many other variables are possible also, but I switched to CFL for the first month and have excellent results vs HPS or HID during the first 4 weeks. Just a suggestion, but I would try to cut back on the intensity of light until at least the third nodes emerge.

Thank you for all the replies. I would just like to give an update to this post. I have made use of some advise here and tuned down the intensity of light. I did get some slightly faster growth, until topping. I think I messed this up as it set me back about two weeks.

I use am using coco and I water 2-3x a day and they live it. I also am under a 400 watt MH and don't think it is the light. As soon as my ladies broke ground I started nutes at about 200 ppm with RO water. Coco is Hydroponics and should not be treated as anything eles. Water at least 1-2x a day.

20151119_090730.jpg
20151118_150653.jpg
Here Is A Few Pics that show watering 1-2x a day will make them love you. Coco as wet as you can get it hold 30% oxygen I use nothing but coco no perlite nothing just coco from germ to harvest.

Back
Top Bottom