How much does HPS affect electricty bill?

Your Service is the big box with the breakers in it.
Some Apts have 100 - 150 amp service. More now days have 200 amp.
Houses have at least 200 amp service.

Check the numbers on the one or two larger breakers, set off from the others.
These will be the breakers for the main service. May even be labeled Main.
What ever the numbers on the breakers add up to is what your max service is.

The way you Max it is,
by changing these(breakers, higher amperage rating) out to draw more amps. This is not recommended, it can cause a fire.
The whole box has to be upgraded.

Dank,
You should probally put them on different curcits/breakers.
I forget the formula to calulate it. volts and watts = ampers thang

Thanks for the info MagoMan, appriciat the help, I think I might just try to run one off another breaker,
like you suggest, I guess I'll see how it goes. :allgood:

DankBuds :Rasta:

Im not sure I really want to know
this, but how do you split your power up? Do you mean splice the cords to two different outlets? :allgood:

DankBuds :Rasta:

i use 3 120w flourecents , a 65w plant bulb, a hydro pump and a fan and my bill only went up 30 dollars i'm in florida though i don't think that matters plus if nobody's home during the day then turn off the AC and just run the fans keep the doors open to the bed rooms so that the air will circulate through the house and that will help on the bill i do electrical for a living and thats what i do i did that and i cut my bill from 180 to 120 a month with everything going but if your home all day then it won't work for you.

It's hard to "split up" in a house. Each room will have a breaker/curcit and very rarely will you see a room with 2 breakers for it, say lights on one and wall sockets on the other.
Kitchens are the exception, they almost always have at least 2 breakers.

Lower wire gauge number the thicker the wire.
Thicker wire the better for long runs
and/or high loads/pullin' more amps.

Probally have to run a Heavy duty extention cord from another room.

you need to figure out how many kilo watt hours you use... its like this... one kilowatt hour is equal to 1000 watts running for one hour straight... so say you use a 600 watt HPS for 12 hours a day.. thats 7200 watts or 7.2 kilowat hours.... add another 250 watt MH bulb on for 18 hours a day... 4500 watts or 4.5 kilowat hours.... so for that say you used 7.2 + 4.5 = 11.7 KWH.... plus your fans and all... say 12 or 13 KWH per day.... times 30 days..... 360 - 390 KWH per month... multiply that by how much you pay per KWH... and thats how you figure out how much your bill will go up to.... i hope i remembered that all correctly its been a while

Your Service is the big box with the breakers in it.
Some Apts have 100 - 150 amp service. More now days have 200 amp.
Houses have at least 200 amp service.

Damn what country is this??? More like 200 amp is most you can get on most residential, but that's 40 -1000 watt bulbs....and thats more like a factory. resurrecting alot of the old electrical threads with my current DYI project : )

I run two 400 watt and one 1000 watt with fourteen 40 watt flourescents two 6" duct fans @ 430 cfm each and two small fans costs me about $400. the flourescents are on 24/7 the HPS's are on 12/12 the 1000 watt is wired to 220 volt and the two 400's are on 110 volt.

basicly a 1000w light draws 10 amps.......and whether you run 110v or 220v the cost is the same ,the only difference is with intial start up load.....220v being slightly more efficient only on start up,my big motors on my wood tools are all wired 220v because of the constant on and off. If you don't know how to do electrical work find someone you can trust that does. Improperly done you can create huge fire hazards and many fires have been caused by this.....just me 2 cents worth....

Back
Top Bottom