How much is too much light leak?

Emanuel

Had to move my girlys in their fourth week of flowering to a new location. Their new home is nice, except I cant completely block all light from on window. Got blinds up, and then a thick comfoter, and finally a 6 mil tarp, and still, I see a hint of light showing thru.

How much light leak, at this stage, is too much?

Thankx, fellow sons and daughters of of the soil.

From what I've heard the slightest light can disturb the flowering process and cause issues to arise.. maybe try an extra layer, darker color to fade the light out? Got to make due with what ya got, best of luck to you Emanuel, hope everything pans out in your best interest :Namaste:

I know the consensus is protect from light at all costs, but a little light really doesn't hurt, you just want to avoid direct light on the plants. I have a small light leak as well, but I use a foam insulboard barrier to block the direct light from the plants, leaving just a bit of refracted light in the flower room. Yields are fine, only had one hermie ever from overtrimming, nothing light related.

Another interesting topic for sure.

None of my tents are "light tight." Even the most expensive tent - a DR 260 - has light leaks in the zippers.

If you think about it... a full moon is enough to delay flowering. And you can see your shadow typically under a full moon. No way there is that much light in my tent. But a pin prick of intense light might be enough to affect a small part of the plant.

I wish there was more research done in this area...

It definitely isn't as extreme as many on here make it out to be... seems more like a handy excuse for a bad environment. In my experience, high heat causes issues... and many on here run extremely high temps - especially during flowering. When it hermies, it is easier to blame bad genetics or a light leak than to recognize and fix the environmental issues.

For windows there is a material called black out, you would want the thick one that is treated on both sides it is used on drapes when one want to block the sun from getting into the house

I got some of this black-out drape material from Hobby Lobby. Used it to cover 2 windows and they are light tight, and I only used half of what I bought. Was still less than $25 for all of it. I just covered the inside of the windows leaving the mini-blinds up and clutter on the sill as better camo. I also used outdoor painter's tape. It's stickier than the standard blue stuff and grips better while still leaving no residue.

Back
Top Bottom