How much is too much

Even a pin hole can Hermie a plant. Chances of it happening are very slim in my opinion. I've had tents that had 50 pin holes in them & still never got a Hermie. I wouldn't open my tent during lights out though as that can cause a reaction more quickly; but still unlikely. I've tried to purposely Hermie a plant & it is hard to do. I tortured it. Finally after Super Cropping 6 Branches during Flower I got it to work.

Think about this for a minute: consider a plant out in the middle of a field, in the middle of nowhere. No hint of civilization is near the plant, so the only light is the sun, moon, and stars.

Now consider how much light is given under that circumstance with a full moon. It's not going to be pitch black, and can at times seem quite bright. Even though the moon gives light, it's not intense. Our eyes adjust and we can see (somewhat) under a full moon. The measurement we're interested in is lux, a measurement of intensity.

The lux from a full moon is at most around 0.25 lux, give or take. Many factors play into that, and one full moon is not like another. Factors such as distance, apogee, etc come into play. Either way, even at its maximum brightness, it still barely registers on a meter. In comparison, the sun can yield up to 130,000lux at its peak.

How does this relate to your tent and the dark period?

Extremely faint light shouldn't be an issue. You could have 1000 pinholes in your tent, and as long as the light outside of the tent doesn't get provide any lux, it's effectively dark to the plant. Now if you were to take a tent with a bunch of pinholes and set it outside in the middle of the day, that would be different.

In short, it isn't about time, it's about intensity. The easiest way to keep things in check is to just keep the lights off in the tent and in the room the tent is in. If you have a few pieces of equipment in the room that glow a bit, like a heater, AC, dehumidifier, fan, or even like a digital alarm clock, it's no big deal. You wouldn't want those in your tent, but outside would be alright.

Back
Top Bottom