How To Correct Nitrogen Deficiency?

Gimik

Hi 420!

Currently I have a plant suffering from Nitrogen Deficiency that needs to be corrected ASAP -- I'm in week 3 flower.

My question is, What is the best way to correct this issue? I have some synthetic nutrients from Advanced Nutrients that contain N but IDK if this is the best way to go about introducing nitrogen b/c AN is very potent stuff and I'd have to go 1/2-full strength dosage to make any difference which may cause nute burn/salt build up in the root zone. Should I stop by a hydro store and pick up some sort of 6-0-0 or similar composition?

Any and all advice is welcome!

Pics always help and medium and what your currently doing with the plants

Medium
Water type and pH
nutes and amounts

Etc, etc, etc

No way to just say DO THIS without knowing where yer at currently and what u have been doing

I would suggest that you download the feeding schedules for the nutes you are using and quit guessing what they need. If you are indeed 3 weeks into flower, they dont need a lot of nitrogen, they need calcium, phosphorus and potassium in much larger amounts. If you are not using a bloom nute, you are starving them. The deficiency that you are seeing is probably a macro nutrient deficiency, but not what you are thinking. Check your assumptions... they could be wrong.
Also, you didn't mention pH, and that gives me a big red flag... you could be feeding tons of the correct nutes, but if you pH isnt in the proper range for your medium, those nutes will go unused and your plants will starve... Answer Chris's questions, and we can start figuring this out for you.

It's a little difficult to tell in the pictures that the leaves are yellow but its b/c the light is on.

I'm growing in Fox Farm Soil
- RO Water
-pH 6.3-6.8 ( Varies each watering)
-Been feeding Liquid Seaweed/Molasses/URB Natural/Calmag
+ Advanced Nutrients Bloom Part A/B (1/4 Strength)
20190207_111212.jpg

20190207_111232.jpg

We have chatted a few times

Point is now, is fix things again

Listen to @Emilya and focus moving forward

You need to up the nutes to at least half strength for now, no clue on yer molasses stuffs but bet @Emilya can help there

It's a little difficult to tell in the pictures that the leaves are yellow but its b/c the light is on.

I'm growing in Fox Farm Soil
- RO Water
-pH 6.3-6.8 ( Varies each watering)
-Been feeding Liquid Seaweed/Molasses/URB Natural/Calmag
+ Advanced Nutrients Bloom Part A/B
Excellent... now we can see that you are indeed in bloom and soil and your ph is maybe a bit high, AN recommends 6.3 pH for soil. Stop thinking that the a and b are such powerful compilations and look at your plants seriously... they are hungry. Stop buying into the 1/2 strength feeding nonsense and give them a proper feed at the levels recommended for this point of your grow. Download the AN feeding schedule for your sized container, and follow it to the letter.
Before you hit bloom, were you using the Grow A and B or have you been using this bloom product all along? This would explain the dramatic yellowing.

Excellent... now we can see that you are indeed in bloom and soil and your ph is maybe a bit high, AN recommends 6.3 pH for soil. Stop thinking that the a and b are such powerful compilations and look at your plants seriously... they are hungry. Stop buying into the 1/2 strength feeding nonsense and give them a proper feed at the levels recommended for this point of your grow. Download the AN feeding schedule for your sized container, and follow it to the letter.
Before you hit bloom, were you using the Grow A and B or have you been using this bloom product all along? This would explain the dramatic yellowing.

To be fair AN is some pretty strong stuff, very easy to get nute burn If you go solely off their feeding charts although I do admit I'm probably being a little too cautious with the stuff. Partly b/c I've been trying to stretch out the little amount of it I have left to last throughout the grow cycle (Consequence of being on a budget.)

Before I hit Bloom I was using Grow A and B. Started 1/4 dose and worked up to nearly full. However, during the transition between grow and bloom I gave them a plain RO watering which may have contributed to the N deficiency. It's only one plant too that is yellowing, it's the biggest by far with the thickest branches.

Like others have said looks like it needs more nutes, if it was borderline Nitrogen deficient going into bloom the lower amount of Nitrogen in the bloom A/B mix doesn't help.

Also, I noticed for some reason the bloom nutrients for advanced recommend 4ml/l instead of the 2ml/l of the grow. I thought this was a little high myself so started cautiously but I am now increasing the amount because of some yellowing. I'm week 6 of flower and was only giving them half strength, however I'm also supplementing with other nutrients.

Like others have said looks like it needs more nutes, if it was borderline Nitrogen deficient going into bloom the lower amount of Nitrogen in the bloom A/B mix doesn't help.
This is my concern and the reason for posting this thread. Do I reintroduce Grow AB nutes or supplement a pure nitrogen composition some sort of X-0-0?

Maybe try using the nutes as they were intended before freaking out and trying new stuff. If you move on from here you will never trust AN again.

The issue isn't my trust in AN. Their products are fantastic. I used their line for my first grow and had amazing results. I understand you are trying to emphasize the importance of following a feeding schedule and to not playing the guessing game when it comes to dosing nutrients. I get it. I had about a half bottle of each from my previous grow that I was trying to make last the length of the grow, thus the reason for using 1/4 doses each watering. I know that if I followed AN's feeding chart I would not be suffering from deficiency, so telling me I should've followed their feeding chart doesn't help me... I need advice on how to correct this problem moving forward, not what I should've done in the past.

So again my question, what should I do to correct this deficiency? I currently don't have enough of the AN to feed full strength and last until flush... and I don't want to buy whole new bottles of bloom nutes mainly because after I conclude this grow I won't be starting another one up until after Summer and I don't want the nutrients to sit unused longer than necessary. I read that fish meal is rich in N, maybe start mixing some in to each feeding? Any and all thoughts are welcome!

if I was you I would buy some more of the advanced nutes and use them at the recommended dose you can pair it back slightly if you are concerned about nute burn . you don't have to worry about the shelf life of the nutes until the summer so get some more if your going to continue to use them on another grow

Feeding your plants correctly is very important in flower, when the plants need a lot more than just nitrogen. It is extremely difficult to make a fertilizer that would supply all of these needs without fermenting another weed down into the fertilizer and this takes more time than you have. The needs of this plant are just too diverse to think that just a few ingredients added to the soil is going to do this for you either... especially wanting your additives to be cheaper than the store bought nutes you don't want to buy.
The other choice is to buy a much cheaper line of nutes, and use that instead. Jack's Classic comes to mind, and their two part system at $9 apiece can't be beat price wise.

Yeah its probably wasted money to buy something just to correct a deficiency on one plant, one time. Might as well as quit being so cheap and cop some more AN. I just don't know if I want to run AN again or try a compost tea next grow...decisions decisions.

Would you not recommend mixing different nutrient lines? AN is quite expensive compared to other brands. If I were to pick up some Big Bloom from Fox Farm would you say it would be unwise to switch nutrient lines?

Yeah its probably wasted money to buy something just to correct a deficiency on one plant, one time. Might as well as quit being so cheap and cop some more AN. I just don't know if I want to run AN again or try a compost tea next grow...decisions decisions.

Would you not recommend mixing different nutrient lines? AN is quite expensive compared to other brands. If I were to pick up some Big Bloom from Fox Farm would you say it would be unwise to switch nutrient lines?
Nutes are nutes, just some are more expensive than the others. It wont hurt to switch, as long as you flush first and follow the directions for the point in the grow that you are in.
Regarding the organic grow, I invite you to check out my organic grow in my current journal, where I detail every step of preparing the containers with layers of supersoil, regular soil, earthworm castings and various other things... where I put spikes of raw minerals in there for the roots to find, and how I regularly water with various natural concoctions and very specific AACT brews made for that point in the grow.

Back
Top Bottom