How to get rid of red spider mite?

are these ones big enough to see ?

if they are, anything that kills a two-spotted mite will do it. some red mites are predator mites that eat the two-spotted ones, which could mean both are present. be sure to identify.

an h202 flush of the media is a good idea before transplant, or even at, to get rid of anything growing at the roots.

edit : if they are the kind smaller than the two-spot mites .... burn everything. can be years of pain.

Depending on how large the plants are you can mix up a solution of pyrethrin and dip the entire plants in it, or spray them very well "up their skirts" too. Do this at lights out and reduce the lighting for a couple days. I would not recommend it if they were older or in flower, but pyrethrin breaks down in a few days. You'll need to spray or dip them more than once to break the life cycle. There are several other sprays that will also work.

RSM are my nemesis
On small cuttings it shouldn't be too arduous to use a cotton wool wipe with your choice of MiteDoom
You will need to clean absolutely everything within 6 feet or they'll be back
They thrive in hot, dry conditions - could you remedy that aspect?
A spray of H2O2 regularly will help too

Awesome replies everyone! I am in the room with the plants so am opposed to spraying much things! Anyone have any info on predatory insects for the red mites? I’ve noticed red only not any with two spots however they may be present, are there any predators which deals with them both?

Awesome replies everyone! I am in the room with the plants so am opposed to spraying much things! Anyone have any info on predatory insects for the red mites? I’ve noticed red only not any with two spots however they may be present, are there any predators which deals with them both?

ladybugs.

i had tiny little jumping spiders one year and they were freaking little assassins. i had mites and didn't know it til they showed up. they cleared the plants and moved out. if i could bottle those freaks for sale i could retire rich lol.

From our sponsor, Sierra Natural Science. Fully organic and can be used right up to harvest.

ladybugs.

i had tiny little jumping spiders one year and they were freaking little assassins. i had mites and didn't know it til they showed up. they cleared the plants and moved out. if i could bottle those freaks for sale i could retire rich lol.
Do ladybugs work for spider mites?

I have had Red Spider Mites show up at times on my outdoor patio plants. Then it is a case of "here today and gone tomorrow" so I figure that they are predators feeding on the occasional "two-spotted" mites that were on the plant. See @bluter's posting in msg #2. The red ones feed and go away.

Do ladybugs work for spider mites?
I tried that once. Let the Ladybugs loose on the plants, set up the water and alternate food source for them, and the next morning most of them were gone, like 99% of them. Within days they were all gone. I figure they crawled off looking for better foods, better temperatures, maybe real sunshine instead of LED lights.

Speaking of LED lights I had a 3 pod light still under warranty and took it back to the store. The guy opened it up and dumped out dead, dried up Ladybugs and then replaced the pod. I have to figure that all the hundreds that disappeared are also dead and dried up somewhere in the walls, ceiling joists, and the other lights.;).

It is probably cheaper and more efficient to buy a decent organic spray product such as what is found on the sponsors' page or at any half-way decent grow shop.

Back
Top Bottom