How to make a solar panal to power electronics

How are the panels working out ben. I wish I was handy like that. I am not going to mess with it but want to know how much it ends up saving you.

Hey diesel farmer, I just noticed you're from MT
Hi from another big sky grower (my first time in 30-ish years)

I live about midway between Helena and Bozeman

Hey diesel farmer, I just noticed you're from MT
Hi from another big sky grower (my first time in 30-ish years)

I live about midway between Helena and Bozeman

Hey Big Sky brother! Welcome to 420, let me know if you have questions or need input on yer grow, I`m about 90 miles NE from Helena, peace!

I would be intersted in how many amps your little panel puts out in the end.
(after inverter) I would think you need a whole lot more than that to run a light.
@115 a 1000w light uses about 15 amps the amp hour rating is on the car battery but then you would have to factor in the inverter or check amps out
of batteries mmmmm :hookah: Good Luck

I would be intersted in how many amps your little panel puts out in the end.
(after inverter) I would think you need a whole lot more than that to run a light.
@115 a 1000w light uses about 15 amps the amp hour rating is on the car battery but then you would have to factor in the inverter or check amps out
of batteries mmmmm :hookah: Good Luck

at the time is was just running a series of daisychained computer fans (heat exhaust,stem strengthing,ona dispencer) but it was also just goes to show what those old solar lights people have lying around could be used for.im thinking about trying a series of small diy windmills if i find the time,,im just trying to throw ideas out there,:roorrip:

If you go to the Harbor Freight web site and search for "solar" you'll find systems ready to go. I love to do the DIY projects, but sometimes I will buy an item if it is about the same cost as doing it myself (and most everything there is less than trying to put one together on your own).

This is very cool, but at the end of the day, how much are you eliminating from your electric bill? Seems like not enough to keep attention off yourself. Now a set up that will run a 400+ watt lamp + pumps, fans, timers, etc, that would be something. And they are available but the price is high when factor in number of deep cycle batteries. also, I think you want a 'sign wave' inverter. They provide a smooth signal, enhancing bulb life.

hth

I'm with Petflora on this. I'm afraid you'll get nowhere with tiny solar panels: these aren't made to support strong lights, pumps or fans, but rather tiny little lights to sparkle in the dark of your driveway.

Consider the power consumption of just one 400W (ignoring the fact that it consumes more than that) HID over 12 hours and you'd need at least 4.8 kilowatt-hours per day. And then, have a look at what solar panels that can supply such amounts of power (given a clear, sunny day) actually cost. *gulp*
And yet, they are more cost-effective than connecting dozens or hundreds of miniature panels. :)

Don't get me wrong, it IS feasible to power your indoor grow with a large array of photovoltaic panels, but jury-rigging tiny panels together - with the costs of purchase and your own work counted in... you get my drift: nice proof of concept, but your electricity meter won't skip a beat. ;)

one other thing to add, that thing you are calling a diode is a 16 ohm resistor with +/- 10 % tolerance(read the color bands, diodes dont have them), there should be a diode between every solar module, when posting a thread about electronics or electricity be sure to know what you are talking about, you can hurt people or property, read a book or take a class before you post a thread like this, I`m all for solar tech, I do it for a living, just do a little more research, peace!

Yahoo DF, but you beat me too it. I was looking all over for the "diode" and gave up figuring it was some where else or under that resistor. LOL. I agree that if people are gonna' write about electronics (especially) or anything else for that matter, they really should know, for a FACT, what they are talking about. I could see that battery boil over or even blow the *$%^ up if left alone! Bendog420, thanks for that post too, it was meant well in good faith. It is just that doing solar for operating a grow isn't very feasible past operating a few low current fans or pumps. I wish I could. I need about 6kW per hour for mine and that would take a boat load of panels. One last thing, if you want to experiment further, they sell a trickle charge solar panel for automobiles that plugs into the cigarette lighter port and is designed to keep you car's battery charged from sitting this panel in the sun on your dash. It is about 4" tall by 12" long and will surely put out far more than the 8 tiny panels you used costing around $25.00, probably close to what you paid for those garden (path) solar lights. JMHO. Peace, Paul

at the time is was just running a series of daisychained computer fans (heat exhaust,stem strengthing,ona dispencer) but it was also just goes to show what those old solar lights people have lying around could be used for.im thinking about trying a series of small diy windmills if i find the time,,im just trying to throw ideas out there,:roorrip:

If I lived where I had access to a stream, river or any moving body of water, I'd be working on a Hydro-Electric set-up. Seems to be the most cost effective method of converting electricity from mechanical energy, but alas, I don't... It sure would help with my $850.00/month utility bill (electricity portion) at about $0.19/kWh here! Stick with it my man, there's a lot of people on here that can help you A LOT, I really mean that in good faith. I ask questions all the time because the more I learn, the more I need to learn.

Back
Top Bottom