Can i use a 1000 wt hps in my 4 by 2 by 5 grow tent through veg/bud

novice101

i have a 1000wt hydrofarm hps ballast and hps light in my 2 by 4 by 5 foot grow tent, im wondering if it is alright to use this through both veg and flowering stages and if so what effects (both pos/neg) will this have on my plant/buds. and what is a good way to vent it out. i have two 6in fans pulling at the top and the flaps open at the bottom with a circ. fan pointing up, also have the top flange open as well....
thank you for any and all input on this matter.:Namaste:

Re: can i use a 1000 wt hps in my 4 by 2 by 5 grow tent through veg/bud

Definitely agree that yeah you can use it, and will have some very dense buds.... I have 2 lights in my 2.5'x5'x7' tents (400+600W) and I always have great results, very very dense buds :) You should be fine, just make sure to have proper venting to keep the temps down, 1000w will put out a lot of heat :)

so using the hps instead of the mh for veg, should be alright, is that what im hearing? and yes it gets hot but i have the exhaust going outside and a/c coming in through the flaps so i think i have temps down for the moment. it will get worse as they get bigger though i suspect due to me having the light as high as it can so atm. maybe switch to soil from my aeroponic's for budding???? get them lower to the ground???

also, does it matter how many plants i put in there now due to the excess lighting? i have a 12 pod aero at the moment but only using it for 10 plants.. is that still sufficient litght???

You should be able to fill your tent with that light and have plenty of light to go around, just don't overcrowd your tent because thats when things like molds and pests love to hide and thrive... also just a suggestion but make sure you are not pushing your legal limit (if it is a concern) :)

For height control check into training methods such as Scrog, supercropping, LST, topping and Fim'ing

i didnt think about my legal limit. this is my first grow with this light.. i did my initial grow with just t5's and cfl's so my yield wasnt that much. got about an ounce a plant. am hoping to get a much better yield with the 1000wt's im growing bubbleberry and some dutch treat. if im growing them to be about 3foot, how much do you think it SHOULD yield. im using a aeroponic system with technaflora B.C. nutes. and thanks for the info on teh dif. methods i am DEF. going to check them out.

this is a portion of what I just posted in another 2x4x5 tent thread

at only 5 ft high and room for hanging the lamp (6-12in) and distance from the plants for a 600 (18 in) your just under 3 ft for the plants. Minus about a foot for the pot, you only have >2 ft for the plant height. You might want to consider a scrog to keep them low.

Your 1000w needs even more distance from the plants (24in). That doesn't leave a lot of room for the plants does it? almost a foot for the light and hood and 2 feet from the plants is 3 ft. 1 foot for the bucket and that leaves you only a foot for the plant.

yeah i decided against teh 1000wt. its putting out way too much heat.

i have a ballast and bulb (600wt) on the way atm im still using my 1000wt but have some fans around it and the tent flaps wide open due to heat. it is around 80 degrees in there right now so its fine til my 600wt ballast gets here. its a dimmable one so if the 600 is too much i can change it to 400 or 150. im hoping the 600 will work though i want to get the most light that i can to produce better buds.

DSCF1930.JPG

this is my tent, i aslo have a 20in whirlwind fan underneath the set up facing upward and blowing hot air out
DSCF19272.JPG
DSCF1932.JPG
DSCF19451.JPG
this is just one of my chemdawgs..after two days of being in there.
DSCF1987.JPG

You could definitely get away with dimming it down to 400w for a few weeks, until you get a thick canopy going and start seeing the lower leaves getting shaded....

Also... you can check out using the Gas Lamp Routine for Veg... works like a charm and saves you 5 hrs per day on lighting :)

i checked it out and i put my girls on that regiment. ill see how it goes.

actually i changed a lot of things up.. i decided to just put the girls in dirt and out of the aero ponic system, i still have the 1000wt MH on them and its not hot at all right now.. i leave the tent flaps open most of the time and still have the 6" fan cooling the reflector hood.. everyone seems pretty good atm. waiting on my other ballast then ill close it all up if im able to.

Back
Top Bottom