How to re-use soil?

I just asked in the problems forum but I thought it would get more play here ...

How do you take used soil and make it viable for a new grow? I mean what steps do you use and what do you do/add to the soil?

I would just to change the soil each time , as the old soil will not have many of the nutrients left in it and maybe some dead roots etc. , At least this is what the guy at the grow shop told me, and overall its just better new plant new soil :)
Of course there is ways to reuse ur soil 2-3 times but im sure there is guides somewhere online dedicated to help people reuse their soil , but u gotta think about it time and money wise its gonna be the same and easier to get new soil.
hope that helps

Buck, not being a smart ass but after I use my soil, I reuse it for my other indoor plants like cactus and ferns or use some of it in my compost pile(since I add earth worms to it while growing. You can also send a sample of it to your state dept. of agriculture(most the time its located at colleges) and have them test it. They will tell you what it lacks and you could, if you wanted to, amend it but its just as easy to use new.

I have a partner who does this all the time, I can get more thorough instructions later.

But basically you need to till the old soil well, use enzymes to break down old root matter, re-amend with castings, guano, azomite, whatever you'd like, mychorrizae of course.

Then you can reuse it; again this is a very short explanation, by no means is this a solid answer to your question.

Use the old soil for other plants as stated above.. That way if there are bugs or salt lock, You will be beyond them with fresh new soil for the gals..

I thought about the same thing and im leaning more twords composting it. I figure it wouldnt do anything else much good with the nutriants mostly used

Back
Top Bottom