How to start a Mother plant?

Char37

I want to start a mother plant but dont have a clue how to go about it. I have 2 rooms going 1-veg & 1-flower, so I'm thinking to start the plant in the veg room at the same hours of light? 18 on & 6 off? and I guess it is kept from budding by the way it is watered & grown? any help greatly appreciated...

A mother plant is just a plant that doesn't get flowered. Keep it in the veg room and that's it. It never gets moved to the flower room. Nothing special about it. You should invest in a grow book. Very helpful.
:goodjob:

+1 on the grow book. Research is your friend.

Just keep your favorite female in the veg room. The first time you take clones from her, she becomes a mother plant.

LOL That's all there is to a mother plant.

DD

I bought a botany book at the salvation army yeaars ago for 50 cents, one of my best investments, if you understand the plant you will make great plants, but ya, female plant in constant veg is a mom, peace!

If you start reading too much you will think there is more to having a mother than just keeping her in the veg room, but that really is all you need to do.

I've seen a product or two that was marketed as being food for mothers. Some ppl will say you have to feed them differently, or give them just water or starve them of nitrogen just before you take cuttings, but I have always ignored that stuff.

The one thing I can add is that you want to be selective when choosing a mother to make sure her clones have the traits you desire, such as fast growth, stress resistance, potency, ect.

If you start reading too much you will think there is more to having a mother than just keeping her in the veg room, but that really is all you need to do.

I've seen a product or two that was marketed as being food for mothers. Some ppl will say you have to feed them differently, or give them just water or starve them of nitrogen just before you take cuttings, but I have always ignored that stuff.

The one thing I can add is that you want to be selective when choosing a mother to make sure her clones have the traits you desire, such as fast growth, stress resistance, potency, ect.

Well, now there is something to the nitrogen thing -- N inhibits root formation, and when you are cloning you are trying to get the plant to suddenly start growing roots from what was previously a totally different type of cell. Imagine growing an eye on your arm and you can see why cloning is by far the most stressful thing you can do to a plant.

So yes, having a deficiency of N in a mother at the time of cloning would actually be a good thing, but of course one has to balance that with the fact that the mother will still have to continue to live, so starving her for N will not work well in the long run.

But yes to answer your question, a mother plant is just a female plant that stays in the veg cycle so that she is available to provide cuttings. I recommend a separate area for your moms, but if that's not possible leaving them in the veg room is fine too.

:goodluck:

Thanx for all the great advice, and yes I totally agree with Vaporeyes....I have gotten more usefull info since signing up to this site. Thanx to all the experienced growers out there:thumb:

If the mother plant is still kept under the lighting for long periods of time will it not still grow? What I mean is plants grow using the light so if the mother is kept for a while will it get too big to keep or can it be kept at a shorter height without topping etc?

If the mother plant is still kept under the lighting for long periods of time will it not still grow? What I mean is plants grow using the light so if the mother is kept for a while will it get too big to keep or can it be kept at a shorter height without topping etc?
when it gets to big, then just stick into the flower room. Of course, take some cuttings 1st., and then one of the clones will be your new mom. Good luck !! :peacetwo::surf:

Yes, a mother plant will continue to grow if kept under a light. This is what most people want because they will be taking cuttings from the plant every two weeks or more. By taking clones, you are also pruning so the growth (height) can be slowed. Eventually if it gets too big you can replace it with one of it's rooted cuttings.

If you are wanting to keep a mother around for a while without taking cuttings and you don't want to top her, you can try bending/tieing down the main branch.

Back
Top Bottom