How To -Training, Topping and Pruning

jkgrow

Apologies in advance if I ask anything incorrectly and I am sure these questions have probably been answered before, but I am hoping I can gather information together more easily in a single thread or perhaps people can point me in the right direction on a previous thread or article which will explain better when and how to train, prune and top a plant.

I am new to growing, in fact, I am still getting my setup ready. But, I am trying to do my homework ahead of time and learn as much as possible ahead of time. I have been reading grow journals and I see the Stickied thread above about Nutrients so I'm going to give that a read.

I've seen a lot of mentions in journals about training, pruning and topping plants, but how exactly are these processes done and when exactly should they be done?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Training, topping, and pruning aren't hard but they are as much of an art as a science. I'd recommend some time on YouTube.
Thank you for the response. Any specific videos/tutorials to suggest for me? I'm sure some are better than others and some may even be completely incorrect.

You can check out the tutorials in my signature below by Snid, he has some pretty detailed info on there and is all step by step with pictures of him using said techniques on his own plants. Hope they help you out some.

No specific recommendations, no. I just went and looked at a bunch of them. You pretty quickly get the idea.
Thanks I'll do some YouTube watchin'.
You can check out the tutorials in my signature below by Snid, he has some pretty detailed info on there and is all step by step with pictures of him using said techniques on his own plants. Hope they help you out some.
Perfect, thanks! I'll definitely give those links a look.

I just read through those 3 threads... some fantastic info. Is using a screen (SCROG) another different way to do it? Which method is most effective? I'm not planning on an autoflower seed at this point.

I just read through those 3 threads... some fantastic info. Is using a screen (SCROG) another different way to do it? Which method is most effective? I'm not planning on an autoflower seed at this point.

Yes he did the tutorials very well and is a good grower to boot! I have learned lots from him myself :)

A scrog is another way to help train your plants just like LST but most people don't use the screens until they are ready to go into flower. Lots of training during the veg stage like you have seen in those threads and then before flowering add in the screen, get all the tops spread out (1 per square) and then as they start their flowering stretch you can pull those branches back down thru the holes and move them outwards to another hole until it starts to grow up thru again. You can keep doing this until the stretch is over (roughly 2 weeks) and then all the growth that was at lower nodes on branches will also start to come up thru the screen.

Sorry if that is confusing in anyway, I hope it helps. I just got back from the hospital so I'm not all there lol

Yes he did the tutorials very well and is a good grower to boot! I have learned lots from him myself :)

A scrog is another way to help train your plants just like LST but most people don't use the screens until they are ready to go into flower. Lots of training during the veg stage like you have seen in those threads and then before flowering add in the screen, get all the tops spread out (1 per square) and then as they start their flowering stretch you can pull those branches back down thru the holes and move them outwards to another hole until it starts to grow up thru again. You can keep doing this until the stretch is over (roughly 2 weeks) and then all the growth that was at lower nodes on branches will also start to come up thru the screen.

Sorry if that is confusing in anyway, I hope it helps. I just got back from the hospital so I'm not all there lol
That is a bit confusing, but I think I understand. I'll have to do some more YouTube searching, it helps me best to actually see it and see how it works to learn how to do something like that.

I hope all is well with you, wishing you the best.

That is a bit confusing, but I think I understand. I'll have to do some more YouTube searching, it helps me best to actually see it and see how it works to learn how to do something like that.

I hope all is well with you, wishing you the best.

Lol go figure it was confusing, that was the first post I made after getting back home. Basically once you get the scrog set for the first time get the branches pulled back away from the main stalk (without breaking any) and place the top of each branch into a square.. Then as they continue to grow vertically, pull them back under the square they are in and move out 1 more square.

I'm not always the best at explaining things and sometimes I am typing faster than my brain thinks haha That and I got kids distracting me half the time lol

Videos always make things easier after reading about it.. Once you see it you'll be like "oh, that's what he meant by all the gibberish" :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom