How would you approach my Attic grow situation

killerTheDog1

Ok, before people become ignorant towards my situation and say attics grows are stupid, I'm not writing this for hate- I'm writing it for advice and help.

I'm going to edit this thread with pictures and exact dimensions as soon as I get back home. But anyways~

Situation: I plan on growing in my attic. I live in upstate New York. From the middle of November til the middle of march I plan on expecting outside temperatures to be in the range from 15-25 degrees F.

I have a large L shaped wooden storage closet in the middle of my attic where I plan on growing.

With outside temperatures being under freezing for about 5-6 months, I need to find a way to create a growing environment in this storage closet. Some things I need help with are; how to insulate the storage closet, a proper way of keeping the temperature at around 75-80 degrees F during the day and night, and way to devise an air circulation system in the growing room.

I need help in which kind of heating I should purchase that's programmable to set at a certain temperature. I also need help with what kind of insulation should I buy that is most economical and efficient.

I'm not rich either so my budget would be on the lower side, but I am open to all options.

This is a DIY project. I'm not a handy-man or an electrician or a carpenter. I'm just looking for the most convenient and economical way to approach this.

Thanks.

WOW you've got an uphill battle. pictures of your attic and box will help. Are the sofits and peak vented, windows?
You'll need power and water hauled. How much depends on what method you're
using to grow. The plants will get a real shock every time you water or check on them in the winter. HD has insulating foam boards you could use on the inside and fiberglass bats for the outside (like the rolled only in flat plastic bags) that could be stapled on. That just a start

Check out my BOX grow, it's done in an attik. I have more heat than cold problems though. A bare bulb gro light will easily heat the space that is within its effective range. Run your lights at night when it's the coldest out, insulate well and monitor your temp.
Sealed might be the way to go.

Another thing to consider, the expense. Putting your setup in extreme conditions can be very expensive by comparison. My power bill doubles in the heat of the summer. there is also additional risk associated with heating an unoccupied space with a little space heater. If you have exhausted all of your options it can be done, but so can a hidden chest of drawers, tool chest, amoire the list goes on.....

Back
Top Bottom