HunHash's 1st Grow Ever, Wilma Hydro Autoflower Grow Journal, 2020 Stayathome

It took only 24 hours. It's a good sign. :)

20200421_184405.jpg
20200421_184459.jpg
20200421_190343.jpg

ppm: 375
PH: 6.4
RH: 42%
air temp: 28.8C
water temp: 23.7

It's almost 2 weeks for the first lady (Cream Mandarine XL auto), but I think things are a bit slow. Shouldn't she be bigger? I was thinking maybe it's because of the watering times are too far from each other and the roots dry out. I switched the timer to a half-hour dry half-hour watering cycle from 3 hours dry 15 minutes watering. I use clay pebbles as a media, so it shouldn't be a problem at least in theory.

I struggle to keep the RH up. I had to put a wet towel in the tent just to keep around 40-50% (As the good weather arrived the outside RH declined under 30%).

Cream Mandarine XL auto day: 13
20200423_172559.jpg

Gorilla Girl XL auto day: 8
20200423_172605.jpg

Drop your ph to 5.8-6.2 the new watering cycle sounds better.
I thought tomorrow when I will bring it down to 5.5 and let it rise again to 6.5, then repeat the cycle.

Hi there,

Update on the grow.
The 30min on 30 min off watering seems to work much better than the previous one. The girls started to develop after 24 hours. New leaves started to form and the Cream Mandarine started to stand up on her own. On this note, I designed a homemade watering ring because I don't like this blue one which came with the Wilma. I ordered the pieces and will "build" it ASAP. I will upload pictures when I'm done.

On the other hand, I would like to use your brains and experiences. The two girls are using the same reservoir, but the Cream Mandarine (day 16 from germ) looks hungry to me. The older leaves are kind of yellowish and just today the end of the leaves started to show some discoloration. I researched a bit, and find it might be N and K deficiency. The funny thing is that the other girl, the Gorilla Girl XL (day 11 from germ.) looks healthy as a horse.
What's your opinion? Data below.

The reservoir is 6 days old. Every two days or so I need to adjust the PH because it always rises fast. (Just yesterday I decreased the PH to 5.5 and today it's back to 6.3).
PPM 481 (I started with a 20-liter reservoir at 315PPM, and there are 3-5 liters of water loss because of evaporation, and every day or two I need to add 0.5ml of phosphoric acid to maintain the PH in the preferred range.)
PH 6.3 (Was today before adjusting. I keep an eye on it every day to keep it between 5.5-6.3)
RH 45% (with a wet towel in the tent)
Temp 28C
water temp: 23,8C

Cream Mandarine XL auto (day 16)
20200426_185628.jpg

Gorilla Girl XL auto (day 11)
20200426_170336.jpg

Hi Guys,

Just a little update on my progress. The two "big" girls are developing fine. The higher nutrient concentrate jumpstarted them. I like this Wilma setup so far, but I didn't like the blue arrow dripper it comes with, so I upgraded it a bit and made four drip-rings. How do you like them?
20200429_171332.jpg

As you can see, it's just a spaghetti line with holes in it on two T connectors. I thought it would be better to irrigate close to the stem as well as on the other side of the pot. This way those pretty little roots can grow any direction they like and still find food.

Stats:
PPM: 667 (almost stable for 3 days now)
PH: 6.2 (time to adjust it back to 5.5)
RH: 49% (A lovely rain hit us, so it has risen from 305 at last)
Air temp: 30C
Water temp: 23.8C (Every day I put 3 ice brick to the water if the temperature rise above 24C)

Gorilla Girl XL auto (19 days old):
This little fighter stood up on her own. I did nothing to help her except create better conditions for her. She even started so smell really nice too.
20200429_171321.jpg

Gorilla Girl XL auto (14 days old):
She is a beauty. Strong and healthy.
20200429_171308.jpg

The Bloody Skunk auto is developing just fine. A few days and she gets to neighbor her big sisters.
20200429_175943.jpg

The Cream Gelato Auto, on the other hand, seems to make a not of herself. Starting a new seed is not an option at this point because I'd like them to finish together, so she just has to manage.
20200429_175937.jpg

I think she will come through. She is just shy a bit. :)

Today I realized something interesting. The first two weeks the PH in my reservoir shifted up like crazy, and I didn't know why. The last couple of days it started to stabilize, so I thought it might be because of the clay pebbles I use as a medium, so today I made an experiment. As you know I still have two seedlings waiting for a transplant to their final places. This is why I have a bucket of washed (multiple times) but otherwise unused hydroton. Today I changed the reservoir, so I decided that it's time to soak them in the old water (PH 5.7) because I will need it in a few days. After 5 hours the water's PH has risen to 7.5. So I concluded that's why it's not enough only to wash clay pebbles properly but you need to soak them for a few days. I read it before, but no one ever told me why it's beneficial to do so. They were saying that you let some nutrients soak in, and it's better to start using them wet, but no one ever said a thing about PH.
I am happy to find it out myself and hope this find will help others in the future.
Does anyone know the chemistry behind this phenomenon?

I have an inquiring mind. Lol
It's not just that. Hannibal Lecter had an inquiring mind too, but he didn't use it to help others on the other side of the world. You are a genuinely nice person.

Update.
PPM: 894
PH: 6.1 (no matter what I do, it always climb up like crazy. I adjust it in the morning to 5.5 and it's back to 6.1 in the evening.)
RH: 42
Air temp.: 27C
Water temp.:24C

I lost one of the little ones. There was something wrong with the Cream Gelato's genome. It just hasn't grown. This means that I have to accept that this will be a 3 plant grow. It's too late to start another seed, it would be a nightmare to synchronize all of their finish. I don't mind. If I don't screw up, I will have more than enough yield from these three to last for the next finish.

The newcomer, the Bloody Skunk Auto. 13 days old. It develops at a good rate. I'm hoping not to burn her, but so far, so good.
20200504_183406.jpg

Cream Mandarine XL Auto. 25 days old.
She develops beautifully. She got strong. She straightened herself up perfectly. Today I decided to use some LSD for the first time. I think I accidentally broke down a fan leaf. Not completely, so it might heal. We'll see. I hope it won't stress her too much.
20200504_183414.jpg

20200504_183421.jpg

Gorilla Girl XL Auto. 20 days old

She is a monster. I'm sure she will be my biggest. She is just beautiful, strong stem, big leaves, grows fast.
I used LST for the first time as well. We'll see how she'll take it.
20200504_183428.jpg

20200504_183433.jpg

20200504_183439.jpg

Be careful you don’t break her, she’s a thick one.
Jah, I go easy on her. I'll take it slow. Each day a little more. She will be bushy as well. I will have to open her up somehow. But that's a problem for the future. :)

Back
Top Bottom