I know someone who works for me is smoking at work

Inasad

First of all, I smoke first thing in the morning and again before bed, so that's why I'm not just firing him right off the bat. The thing is, I know when he's doing it (once a week) and it doesn't seem to get in the way of his job. Actually, part of the reason I don't want to tell him to stop is because I think it might help him work better. I've also smoked with him outside of work before, several times. My concern though, is that he has to talk to customers throughout the day. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't know if he or his friends post on here.

What would you guys do? Fire him, just tell him to stop it, or keep an eye on him and let him get away with it as long as I'm aware of it?

Re: I know someone who works for me is smoking at work...

My opinion;
Just tell him to be very moderate, watch his high-ness (I'm sure he does, but just be safe).
And sadly, you can't smoke with him. If his smoking at work does become a problem in the future, you might need that degree of seperation for corrective action to remain an option.

you can however as a friend, coworker, boss, whatever just give him a heads up and say hey man i noticed youve been blazed a few times while working. I mean IDC as long as it dosent effect your job, but if a customer ever mentions anything about it, I just dont want to see you get into any trouble or anything. just looking out.

and from there its on them. if there dumb enough to smoke at work and not use some kind of axe body spray or light dosage of cologne. then they deserve to get caught for being too damn cocky about it. gotta know your limits. in a perfect world it would be legal to smoke cannabis just like cigarettes but alas it is not. and we pot heads are fuck until further notice haha

Thanks for the responses guys... Just to clear something up, it's not that he's high at work that bothers me as much as the act of smoking behind the place of business. I don't need another business owner walking out their back door only to see one of my top employees smoking a joint. I know he smokes before he comes in every morning, but I don't give a SH*T what he does at home. I think I'm just going to tell him that, IDGAF what you do at home but NO FUCKIN SMOKING at work.

And just to clear something up, I've NEVER smoked with him AT WORK and I've made it clear that it's unacceptable. Though I realize it's hypocritical either way, which is why I included that in the OP.

mixing personal with business a big no no

Ummmm, on second thought never mind.

* I have now learned to read the whole post before replying*
:thanks:

I don't think it's the least bit hypocritical to take the stance that outside work is his business but at work it's not appropriate. Imagine if it was alcohol. I drink when I want to, but not at work. He jeopardizes quite a bit if it becomes an issue with a customer or a neighbor or, heaven forbid, the police. It's not just about him then. A business needs a clean reputation (usually) and he can change that in one inopportune moment. Just my 2¢.

Edit: Jeeeez. I sound like such a hard-ass. Personally I'd willfully ignore him coming to work high if it was 'safe' for him to do so and it improved his work in some way. But I would ask him not to toke up again until he gets off the clock, just to avoid any blatant liability. If something bad happens you have a modicum of plausible deniability then. Is that an ethical stance? I don't know, but I don't see that it's wrong enough the consider changing it. I gotta quit posting stoned.

:peace:

Very hypocritical. In your op u say u smoke more them him. If he smokes once a week and I doubt at work and u smoke twice a day, that means u smoke 14 times more then him. The reason I say I doubt at work is because I know people who only smoke once a week, and they don't do it at work lol. Kinda snitchy imo

I think that if he interacts with people then smoking at work is a no go. But if you're in the back, and you only talk to a coworker or two, then it's okay.

I personally know that if I can't keep up on my intake I slow down. I can't function, talk in public, in basic. I shelter myself when lacking. I think maybe if that's how it's always been, let it be. If it becomes a problem, then address it. The only users who you should be concerned about are those who are a public issue, but if you've used with them and they seem fine. Let it be until either it's an issue to the establishment or if a customer says something. Then in private just address it, don't fire them. It can be controlled and it's just easier to work out a deal than fire and have a disgruntled no longer employee

Tell him to stop. Not sure what your business is but this could be a huge insurance / liability hazard. As my boss once told me, leave it at home and keep work at work.

Back
Top Bottom