I need help with fungus gnats in organic soil

Brads420

I have an organic soil grow going with fungus gnats in the soil. and also I have them in the sealed container that I have a new batch of soil cooking for the next grow. I believe they came from the worm castings, but not 100% on that. Anyways I've come across a solution on here and other sites. It says to mix hydrogen peroxide with water and water the soil to kill them and the larve. My problem with that is, if I am using that to kill gnats won't that also kill the living ecosystem I've created in the soil? Any thoughts or feedback from some experienced organic growers would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to growing mmj but have found an excellent pest deterrent...at least for the smaller soft shelled bugs. If u sprinkle diatamaceous earth (food grade) on your girls that should help immensely. I tried almost every organic spray available with disappointing results. My plants are doing great as far as being nearly bug free. Its really quite amazing stuff and totally organic.

I'm new to growing mmj but have found an excellent pest deterrent...at least for the smaller soft shelled bugs. If u sprinkle diatamaceous earth (food grade) on your girls that should help immensely. I tried almost every organic spray available with disappointing results. My plants are doing great as far as being nearly bug free. Its really quite amazing stuff and totally organic.
I really like what the diatomaceous earth does to the critters. Gnats are not my friend! I keep some yellow sticky traps around for the adults and to guage their activity/population level.

To get the greatest benefit from DE it must be applied after the top layer of the soil has begun to dry some and then coat the surface with a dusting of DE. This means you need to reapply after every watering or the gnats flare up again. After application it works beautifully, but it became obvious to me that it wasn't killing off the larvae, the very things that will ultimately damage the roots of the plant.

It makes more sense to use a fan to dry out the top layer of soil. It's the moisture that allows the gnats to even be there.

That BTI looks interesting. Have you ever used it conradino23? After reading info on the BTI link you shared I now understand why they kept coming back. Very interesting.

Never used it, but I read a lot of good testimonies.

Moist conditions they do thrive in and lower humidity can help control the problem but overwintering don't just make them develop weirdo.

The problem is that you may kill the adults but the life cycle of the larvae mean that the next time you water they will be back with a vengeance. Once they've established in your soil they can be ridiculously difficult to eradicate without some biological assistance.

I meant over watering Damn auto correct. Here's a pic of what I use. I can guarantee it works.
DSC_07978.JPG

What it does is water breaks the pellets down. The larvae of the gnat feeds on it and dies. No gnats boom! Sunshine soil is horrible for gnats I used to fight those bastards Everytime I transplanted then watered. Most times you get them you can thank the soil.

Use Neem seed Meal and make a tea, then soak your soil in it. Should help alot. If your not that far into flowering use neem oil mixture and spray the plants aswell. repeat 2 times with 10 days apart.

Gnat stix work well in conjunction with mosquito bits. I got gnats bad early this cycle from royal golds basement. Worst I've seen in years since the sunshine bale days. But they are gone now finally.

I have good expiriences with spraying a bit of a neem oil solution on the surface of the soil (indoor) once a week / every two weeks. In combination with yellow traps, i keep the 'gnats population on a very, very low level.
I also use the neem oil in veg' stage as a prophylaxis against other beasts - but be warned, it's not digestible by humans too. Got a shitty day after eating some leaves, which i sprayed weekS before.

Has anyone used Canola oil? I mixed a cup with a gallon of water and sprayed my outdoor fruit tree, grapes, and other plants. The bugs haven't been back.

Back
Top Bottom