I think they should bigger

pete2

These plants are 18 days old and I think they should be bigger.I am using a DWC system with 10 inch baskets.
I use a 400 watt HPS for light,they are on either a 18/6 or 6/18 not sure witch it is the light hangs 18 inches from them.Temp 80f RH is 75% PH is 6.0. They look healthy to me,but a little concerned
Sorry about the pics,I need to get better camera:thanks::thumb::thanks:
plants_00239.JPG
plants_00339.JPG
plants_00437.JPG
plants_00136.JPG

These plants are 18 days old and I think they should be bigger.I am using a DWC system with 10 inch baskets.
I use a 400 watt HPS for light,they are on either a 18/6 or 6/18 not sure witch it is the light hangs 18 inches from them.Temp 80f RH is 75% PH is 6.0. They look healthy to me,but a little concerned

Assuming you are giving them 18 hours of light per day (and not 6), that 400w at 18 inches might be too much for them right now.
What kind of water are you using?
Are you giving them nutrients yet?
Are you feeding from the top daily?

Sorry about the pics,I need to get better camera:thanks::thumb::thanks:
plants_00239.JPG
plants_00339.JPG
plants_00437.JPG
plants_00136.JPG

size looks appropriate to me. its only been 2.5 weeks you still have another 2 and a half months (maybe longer). also the light schedule you want is 18 on 6 off double check you have it right (not undermining you) you can also use 20/4 or 24/7 in veg then once they are big enough to your liking you can switch to 12/12 to begin flowering. keep in mind your plants will potentially double in size so make sure you keep an eye on your space restrictions. hope this helps you out any questions feel fee to ask

also you really wanna use a metal halide bulb for early and vegetative stages of growth put the HPS in when you switch to 12/12 or if your growing autos when they 1st show signs of sex

Assuming you are giving them 18 hours of light per day (and not 6), that 400w at 18 inches might be too much for them right now.
What kind of water are you using?
Are you giving them nutrients yet?
Are you feeding from the top daily?

It is 18 per day.Wasn't sure what number came first 18/6 or 6/18.The water is tap with adjusted ph levels.I plan on using purified water from now on.I have been feeding them since I put them in their baskets.I'm not top feeding them.It was explained to me that when you use a DWC system that you put enough water in the bucket to cover about 1 inch above the basket line and after they start showing roots then you keep the water level at just under the bottom of the basket.
That's about it.Thank you for your input:thanks::thumb::thanks:

It is 18 per day.Wasn't sure what number came first 18/6 or 6/18.The water is tap with adjusted ph levels.I plan on using purified water from now on.I have been feeding them since I put them in their baskets.I'm not top feeding them.It was explained to me that when you use a DWC system that you put enough water in the bucket to cover about 1 inch above the basket line and after they start showing roots then you keep the water level at just under the bottom of the basket.
That's about it.Thank you for your input:thanks::thumb::thanks:

I usually keep the water line just below the net pot from the beginning. I water from the top once or twice a day for about the first 3 days. Usually takes about 3 days for the roots to pull through the basket.

I'm sure your method would work fine too. I could see it taking a bit longer for the roots to pull through the basket though.

It's 18 on 6 off.Wasn't sure how that works. 18/6 or6/18.What is the difference in metal halide bulb and a HPS ?And this response has helped and I thank-you for it

The difference between the HPS and MH is the color spectrum. HM has more blues. HPS has more reds and yellows. Veg plants benefit from the blue spectrum and flowering plants benefit from the red and yellow spectrum.

Sorry I need to ask if you keep it just under the bottom of the basket and water 2x per day wouldn't that make it go above the bottom of the basket? I'm new and trying to understand all the methods I can.Thank's again.

Thanks I didn't know any of that.I wrote that down and will use it on my next harvest.It won't hurt my plants now will it? I'm on a shoe string budget.

well its speculated that if you only have one it might as well be HPS but yes it will stunt your growth a bit. so put it this way MH is for veg growth (more blue spec means more early growth) and HPS is for flowering stage (the one most people care about (red spectrum)) so even though you have hps for veg which is not ideal you will still produce a healthy plant (smaller than it would be using MH) but when they flower you will be set making some kind buds. try tossing some 5600k compact florescents in there (or t5) for supplemental blue spectrum prolly will need at least 42 actual watts per plant. im baked right now if i dont make sense lemme know and ill try and reword it differently

edit
as far as the basket question i have no idea i always and prolly always will grow in soil

well its speculated that if you only have one it might as well be HPS but yes it will stunt your growth a bit. so put it this way MH is for veg growth (more blue spec means more early growth) and HPS is for flowering stage (the one most people care about (red spectrum)) so even though you have hps for veg which is not ideal you will still produce a healthy plant (smaller than it would be using MH) but when they flower you will be set making some kind buds. try tossing some 5600k compact florescents in there (or t5) for supplemental blue spectrum prolly will need at least 42 actual watts per plant. im baked right now if i dont make sense lemme know and ill try and reword it differently

edit
as far as the basket question i have no idea i always and prolly always will grow in soil
LOL,LOL,me too.Thanks for all the advice.I have written it down so I don't forget.Hope to talk to you some other time.Have a Good 1:thanks::thumb::thanks:

How about you move the balls around and take a look at the root system... You want to see pearly whites at this stage.

Vlad

Right now with just a seedling you don't need nor do you want that much light. It can't use all that nor does it want to. :idea: A 10 inch net pot will take 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 weeks for seedling roots to get out of a net pot that big. I use a 4 inch net pot and usually 5-6 days my roots are out. This is a 5 day from seed 4 inch netpot under CFL DWC.
20150708_210401.jpg

Sorry I need to ask if you keep it just under the bottom of the basket and water 2x per day wouldn't that make it go above the bottom of the basket? I'm new and trying to understand all the methods I can.Thank's again.

Just use the water that is already in the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom