I'm starting to think that leaves don't store nutrients

Phillybonker

There is a lot of talk on forums about leaves storing nutrients that can be used by the plant when there is a nutrient shortage but I have researched extensively into this subject and can't find any proof that this actually happens.

I think people are simply repeating what they read and haven't studied much into it.

Leaves yellowing when there is a shortage of nutrients is probably not the plant using nutrients from those leaves but rather the plant diverting nutrients from those leaves.

Idk what do you guys think?

Hmm I think you may have used the wrong search terms.

Try looking into "immobile plant deficiencies " or "mobile plant deficiencies ". That should get you to the studies that have been done.

Here's a quick link to just one, that pops up using that search

Hmm I think you may have used the wrong search terms.

Try looking into "immobile plant deficiencies " or "mobile plant deficiencies ". That should get you to the studies that have been done.

Here's a quick link to just one, that pops up using that search

I'll try again using those search terms and I'll give that link a read. Thanks for your input.

I'll try again using those search terms and I'll give that link a read. Thanks for your input.
Anytime! And I hope I didn't come across as a "know it all" - that's farthest from the truth!
And it's always great to see people looking for scientific studies to confirm what they've read, I have lots of bookmarks, so don't be shy asking:)

I was always told plants store food in roots and stems . Leaves convert photosynthesis that creates food in the leaves. But doesn't store it there moves to stems . But I'm old leaves are only for transfer of energy to store food

Nutrients are stored in every part of the plant the leaves, stems, roots, and flowers. The root store the most nutrients though. Just search where do plants store nutrients and a bunch of articles pop up.
That is what I have learned over the years. The roots do seem to be the #1 storage part for any particular plant with leaves and stems also being used.

Don't forget the nutrients that are stored in the flowers just in case a seed starts to develop.

Maybe storage not quite the right term as it doesn't move excess in and out of the leaves, but more like reserves as in the plant will cannibal non-essential things to feed what is essential to reproducing if a lack of nutrients. Personally I like the solar panel concept as IMHO some folks get crazy with removing stuff, like they know what the plant needs to do more than the plant does ;) but a "to each their own" kind of thing. As the bottoms were the new growth and the tops at one point in the process, but I have no idea though if the plant is using up what is in the old growth or it just quits feeding it and that part dies, as logically either would have the same end result. Maybe the later as you can fix issues with the plant but you have to go by the new growth as it doesn't fix deficiencies in the older leaves that showed an issue.

Maybe storage not quite the right term as it doesn't move excess in and out of the leaves, but more like reserves as in the plant will cannibal non-essential things to feed what is essential to reproducing if a lack of nutrients.
I like that. Storage or reserves; either makes sense.

Many deficiencies will show damage on the leaves and if a supply of the nutrient is applied the signs of the damage do not go away. Except Nitrogen, and I wonder if it is the only one. If the leaves are turning yellow from the plant's translocation of the Nitro from the older leaves to the newer and Nitrogen is supplied the greens start to return, usually within days. That might be the only time the damage is repaired. Everything else and it looks like the damage is done but the supply of nutrient means that it will not spread or show up on any other leaves.

Back
Top Bottom