Indoor grow advice needed - closed indoor space

TopherG

Hey Everybody!

Just want to say thanks for all the great advice. I learn something new every time I browse the forums. Today though, I'm hoping you can help me with some issues I have with my current grow box setup:

1) I'm forced to keep my growbox away from any outside walls so I can't vent outdoors. I don't mind venting indoors through a carbon filter but I've found the fan is noisy (it's a standard PC fan which is supposedly "silent" hah!). I've heard that squirrel fans are basically noiseless - is that true? Can I order a decent one online?

2) I wanted to make my growbox out of a metal cabinet or box because I figured that would help radiate the heat away well, but due to cost I ended up stuck with plastic walls. What do you think of the idea of putting aluminium foil sheets running from inside to outside as a form of heat sink to carry away heat when the lights are on?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cya!

Ok, so I didn't get any answers after a couple days. That's ok. I assume there weren't any easy answers ;)

For those that follow me though, here is what I've learnt elsewhere -

1) Squirrel fans are not noiseless but smaller slower ones will be very quiet. You need to make sure any fan you buy has a load rating, if it doesn't it won't push through the carbon filter properly. A filter will help reduce noise. So will insulated ducting which is like normal ducting but insulated ;) And it doesn't look like you can buy any decent small ones online, not internationally shipped anyway. Try a local hydroponics company, they will have them.

2) Apparently aluminium is one of the best metals to use for heat sinks as it has the right ratio of conductibility (is that a word?) to price. Copper is more conductive but more expensive, for instance. I didn't find any actual answer to my idea but I think the concept is sound and intend to give it a try. If you try this yourself, remember to bend the foil very carefully to avoid air pockets, they will hold heat rather than radiate it away.

Cya!

Ventilation is the only way to remove heat, radiating will not do what you need. Plants need air (o2/co2) so one way or the other you need to vent out hot air and bring in fresh... no way around it.

Jonny

Back
Top Bottom