Is it normal for a 315W CMH to run this cool?

pointer80

I just purchased a 315w cmh light for my tent and I have it hanging towards the top of the tent, a few hours after hooking it up and turning it on I couldn't hold my hand o top of the shroud but today I put my hand on top of the shroud and it is luke warm. The grow shop said it was probably doing a initial burn off on the bulb. The light seems to be working fine. Is it normal for this light to run that cool? Thanks

Not sure why it would run hot to start and then run cooler. I just hung six of them and in the first start up they want you to run them for a min. of ten hours. I believe it is a break in period for the ballast Not sure about burn off of the bulb itself. Overall they will run much cooler then either a HP or a MH giving a longer life to the bulb.

Not sure why it would run hot to start and then run cooler. I just hung six of them and in the first start up they want you to run them for a min. of ten hours. I believe it is a break in period for the ballast Not sure about burn off of the bulb itself. Overall they will run much cooler then either a HP or a MH giving a longer life to the bulb.
I guess I overlooked running them for ten hours min. I ran them for around six before the timer shut them off. Seem to be working fine.

I believe it is a break in period for the ballast
Good info...I never knew that but luckily just ran mine for 18 hours when I got it.
I actually read the directions today and it didn't say anything about running for 10 hours strait
I just looked up a "major" CMH brand instructions and they had this (admittedly, I never read my instructions ...I did keep my greasy fingers off the bulb...and I learned that here)
View media item 1662112

Good info...I never knew that but luckily just ran mine for 18 hours when I got it.

I just looked up a "major" CMH brand instructions and they had this (admittedly, I never read my instructions ...I did keep my greasy fingers off the bulb...and I learned that here)
View media item 1662112
I purchased a hydro farm unit and the ballast is built into the lamp. Maybe that's the difference?

My 315’s run much cooler than my 600 hps, I ever turned down my exaust to acomadate, and I don’t melt the snow off the roof anymore a added bonus. And the light brought down electric bill by 40.00 a month. Compared to my 600 watt.

Back
Top Bottom