Is it too late to prune out small under performing branches at this point in an outdoor grow?

jokerlola

I harvested the mother of this plant last year around Halloween so it’ most likely has another almost 2 months to go. Even with quite a bit of earlier pruning, I’m noticing something some small branches that are only going to produce popcorn buds. If removing them now can contribute to sending more energy to the main colas I will but is it too late for that?

1A8C21FF-FCF6-4A24-89B0-8D2962AD2BB3.jpeg

Yep just trimmed out the some lower stuff on one of my Sativa leaners yesterday. My other plants are dropping the lower laf but 1 plant keeps on trying to grow new way down low. I just cleaned up the lower stuff.

Hopefully help with more airflow too... we've had a somewhat wet summer. I gotta plant already with mold it's a gonner.

Yep just trimmed out the some lower stuff on one of my Sativa leaners yesterday. My other plants are dropping the lower laf but 1 plant keeps on trying to grow new way down low. I just cleaned up the lower stuff.

Hopefully help with more airflow too... we've had a somewhat wet summer. I gotta plant already with mold it's a gonner.
I didn't mean to post the "sad" emoji and I can't seem to remove it.

I trimmed out more than I thought I had and I probably should trim even more. I have good sun penetration on my plant and I give it a quarter turn everyday so that all the lower side buds get equal sun.

I didn't mean to post the "sad" emoji and I can't seem to remove it.
You can't remove it because I posted it! I'm sad that Bob lost a plant to mold already.
I have good sun penetration on my plant and I give it a quarter turn everyday so that all the lower side buds get equal sun.
The sun moves 180º across the sky so you can find something else to do with that time! Not to mention the whole "light to the lowers" thing.

The size of the buds is determined by the plant (rather than amount of light to the lowers), which is sending most of the growth hormones to the tops in the belief that those are most likely to snag blowing pollen. That's the reason I take off the larf after stretch...more hormones to the tops.

In my own belief or what I've seen done over the years...

Is next to impossible to explain !

Some where along the lines of growing you will explore all sorts of sizzle & think, did I waste my hard owned $$$ on that & what did it achieve ?

In this case did I waste some bubble bag hash or live rosin perhaps those trimmings would of gone into a cannabutter brew or even hand hash.

In a principle of permaculture you wasted something !

In my own belief or what I've seen done over the years...
Is next to impossible to explain !
Some where along the lines of growing you will explore all sorts of sizzle & think, did I waste my hard owned $$$ on that & what did it achieve ?
In this case did I waste some bubble bag hash or live rosin perhaps those trimmings would of gone into a cannabutter brew or even hand hash.
In a principle of permaculture you wasted something !
That's a bit more like a haiku than I can understand FD, but are you saying that we've wasted something by taking off the larf?

I've gained bigger tops by eliminating growth of the larf, and I've saved the larf for the salve bin anyway! I've also saved time by not having to trim the larf, which I find interminable.

#nolarf

You can't remove it because I posted it! I'm sad that Bob lost a plant to mold already.

The sun moves 180º across the sky so you can find something else to do with that time! Not to mention the whole "light to the lowers" thing.

The size of the buds is determined by the plant, which is sending most of the growth hormones to the tops in the belief that those are most likely to snag blowing pollen. That's the reason I take off the lower after stretch...more hormones to the tops.
Oh! OK. I thought I accidentally hit it.

That's also good to know I'm wasting my time turning them! I just figured that since the sun is now sitting lower in the southern sky, the north side of the plant is somewhat shaded. So it's just best practice to trim out all lower and middle buds even on outdoor plants? I so far trimmed out all the smaller, lower bud stems but left the middle buds that are larger and almost as large as the top buds

So it's just best practice to trim out all lower and middle buds even on outdoor plants? I so far trimmed out all the smaller, lower bud stems but left the middle buds that are larger and almost as large as the top buds
I can't say it's "best practice," but I find that the lower buds aren't worth the time or effort and I would prefer to have the plant focus on the tops.

It's the same reason that farmers thin peach trees. If you let all the flowers fruit you end up with loads of tiny peaches. If you thin them to every 8" you end up with something worth harvesting and eating.

The best practice is the one that works for you. Try a few plants different ways and figure out which one suits you best. Some folks like larf and are afraid they're leaving something on the table by removing it.

That's a bit more like a haiku than I can understand FD, but are you saying that we've wasted something by taking off the larf?

I've gained bigger tops by eliminating growth of the larf, and I've saved the larf for the salve bin anyway! I've also saved time by not having to trim the larf, which I find interminable.

#nolarf

I understand about the larf, I use to practise the method in the first few years of growing indoors.

I must admit it is the first time I've seen it done on an out door plant all very interesting :thumb:

Very pleased to hear you used all of your plant for a medical salve that alone is impressive.

My own larf or pop corn bud is frozen down & in the past was used for bubble bag hash... this time round I have intentions of live rosin with recent press purchase.

Many people say once you’re into flowering two or more weeks to stop pruning/defoliating because you can shock your plant. I would answer that it depends on the cultivar. If you’re dealing with an indica that is done in 6-8 weeks you may want to stop by week 2 in flowering, but if you have more sativa, and she’s going to flower for 10-14 weeks then you could probably continue to prune/defoliate a couple weeks further into flowering. Try pruning a few and leaving a few go to see what is best for that particular cultivar. Trial and error is the best method.

Back
Top Bottom