Is One CFL Light Bulb Enough to grow a plant?

Ahhh the girls got back to growing now :)

2 transplants at 13 days old really hurt them, at the size there at now would be for a 10 day old plant, other than that looking good. Keep them girls healty:)

Temps look good , my friend had some plants. Striving in 90 - 100 temps and 60% rh

IMG_20130718_173448.jpg
IMG_20130718_173436.jpg
IMG_20130718_173426.jpg

\/ \/ \/ \/ THE 1 IN THE BIG POT !
IMG_20130718_173411.jpg

dont think i need to add too much to this thread, its been quite well covered, but i will just make some generic observations of my own (even if its been covered by a poster before).

from the mutations and what appears to be nute burn on some, this soil may have just been a tiny bit too strong initially.

transplanting sucks. in my own experience the best possible way to start a seed in a soil grow is to make up the biggest possible pot you think wont get waterlogged or suffer dry spots (i use h202 in my water so i can go upto 40 liters), then only transplant once to the next biggest size you can handle, transplanting kills growth time.

mix perlite into your soil to help with air and drainage.

when you make a new plant, make a spare pot of soil and weight it before its dried out or water added to it, thats your key moisture level. when you pot is loosly half that weight its time to water, water very well but no so much you wash away all the soil goodness, then do not water again till the pot is half weight again.

always leave tap water to stand for 12 hours to dechlorinate.
try to add oxygen to your water/feed by bubblers or h202 your plants will thank you for it and will almost never get 'overwatered'

hope these thoughts help in the future =)

any news, everything still going well I hope

Im no expert, just a reader and learner, but here is my two cents. I reccomend you do some reading and draw our own conclusions sir. :)

Ok, first answer. This is just a basic answer without getting into it too much but I think it will help.
During light hours, plants use photosynthesis to create energy. They also grow roots and get bigger. During dark hours they focus only on using the light energy they already have to grow roots and get bigger. For a sprout, either is fine. we can discuse the importance of light dark more later. ;)
During sprouting the plant is mostly focused on rooting. Why? Because she doesnt want to fall over if there is a breeze.
Heres another basic tip: Generally sprouts will try to make a good solid foundation before they focus on lots of above ground growth. Im not saying thet fill up the pot, but they need to feel secure enough to start getting bigger. With your transplant, youve made them 're-root' if you will. The tap root now has more room to stretch, so she needs to grow and feel like she can support a big plant.
Hope that helps a little.

Now ,specifically for your sprouts. All is good from what I see. CFL's always keep them squat brother, its all good. Look at my journal and you will see I had 4 nodes at 3 inches high :kisstwo:
Add in your dual transplants, And they are exactly what Id expect them to look like. They will be fine. Just let the roots set up and stop transplanting them. ;)
To stretch them, you should slowly move the light away once she gets a few more sets of leaves.
Until then, she can only produce so much energy with 2 leaves so be patient. Once they start putting off leaves, its exponetial growth time! :)
Hope you could makes ense of some of this. :goodluck:

Roots grow faster during light hours. Everything is slown down during dark periods. 24/0 lighting unless you are trying to save energy costs. Just my opinion! :Namaste:

Actually my friend, you may want to check your data on that claim.
there are proven benefits to a dark cycle of at least a couple of hours.

during the day a plant has to spend most of its efforts in gathering energy from the sun, during the dark phase, it gets to spend that gathered energy with more focus because its not so busy collecting it.

here is a nice little walk through =)

Do Roots Really Grow In The Dark?

Actually my friend, you may want to check your data on that claim.
there are proven benefits to a dark cycle of at least a couple of hours.

during the day a plant has to spend most of its efforts in gathering energy from the sun, during the dark phase, it gets to spend that gathered energy with more focus because its not so busy collecting it.

here is a nice little walk through =)

Do Roots Really Grow In The Dark?

I know I benefit from a few hours of dark :laugh: Good Satviaday

Back
Top Bottom