Jeff Sessions Says He Will Enforce Federal Marijuana Laws In An 'Appropriate Way'

Katelyn Baker

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a radio interview last week he would enforce federal marijuana laws in an "appropriate way."

In a radio interview Thursday with Hugh Hewitt, the former Alabama senator shared his thoughts about ending the marijuana prohibition, which he made clear he has no interest in doing, and explained how opposing federal law and state laws was creating challenges in enforcement.

"Marijuana is against federal law, and that applies in states where they may have repealed their own anti-marijuana laws," he said. "So yes, we will enforce law in an appropriate way nationwide. It's not possible for the federal government, of course, to take over everything the local police used to do in a state that's legalized it."

Sessions, who noted he was "not in favor of legalization of marijuana" and that the plant was "more dangerous than a lot of people realize," said the Justice Department was currently evaluating whether or not to prosecute states with legal marijuana under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act.

Under RICO, the Justice Department could prosecute and impose civil penalties against states and individuals suspected of racketeering within a criminal enterprise, which, under federal law, could technically be applied to states and businesses allowing the sale and distribution of marijuana.

However, Sessions said the department could need something heavier than just a RICO ruling to combat the friction created between state and federal marijuana laws.

"I think it's a little more complicated than one RICO case, I've got to tell you. [In] places like Colorado, it's just sprung up a lot of different independent entities that are moving marijuana. And it's also being moved interstate, not just in the home state. And neighbors [Nebraska and Oklahoma] are complaining, and filed lawsuits against [Colorado]. So it's a serious matter, in my opinion," he said.

Capture419.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Jeff Sessions Says He Will Enforce Federal Marijuana Laws In An 'Appropriate Way'
Author: Janice Williams
Photo Credit: None Found

Write your local Government and push HR 975!!!!!

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

With all that is going on in politics, and the uncertainty of the direction of federal cannabis enforcement, along with AG Jeff Sessions comments about enforcing federal law, as well as this week Sean Spicers comments on the probability of enforcement... I encourage each and every one of you to write you local government officials and push this bill through..... Protect state voter rights!!!

HR 975

H.R.975 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): Respect State Marijuana Laws Act of 2017 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

115th CONGRESS
1st Session
H. R. 975

To amend the Controlled Substances Act to provide for a new rule regarding the application of the Act to marihuana, and for other purposes.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
February 7, 2017

Mr. Rohrabacher (for himself, Mr. Cohen, Mr. Young of Alaska, Mr. Pocan, Mr. Yoho, Mr. Blumenauer, Mr. McClintock, Ms. Titus, Mr. Hunter, Mr. Polis, Mr. Amash, Ms. Lee, and Mr. Massie) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, and in addition to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned
A BILL

To amend the Controlled Substances Act to provide for a new rule regarding the application of the Act to marihuana, and for other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. Short title.

This Act may be cited as the “Respect State Marijuana Laws Act of 2017”.

SEC. 2. Rule regarding application to marihuana.

Part G of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 801 et seq.) is amended by adding at the end the following:

“SEC. 710. Rule regarding application to marihuana.

“Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the provisions of this subchapter related to marihuana shall not apply to any person acting in compliance with State laws relating to the production, possession, distribution, dispensation, administration, or delivery of marihuana.”.

I'm tired of these assholes telling us what we can use and what we can't. That's THEIR opinion not mine!

I plant the seeds of today coz I believe in the harvest of tomorrow!

Now why don't hobbits like cannabis? But he likes the KKK and being buddies with Russian spies. This racist, bigoted, Alabama butthead, couldn't even get a judgeship in his own state because they knew what he was then. No he runs the entire justice department, I see federal swat teams hitting dispensaries this summer.

A known racist pushing cannabis prohibition, what else is new? These are the people that have been targeting the sick and dying for decades, truely despicable humans. I hate to see innocent people persecuted (as I fear will happen), but in the long-term, having the war on cannabis lead by such an obviously lunatic may benefit the cause.

Still happy with who you voted for? The used car salesman sold you a bill of goods and you believed him. Come on mid-terms!

WJ
:ciao:
I am, I am also looking forward to the mid term so hopefully we can pick up a stronger majority than we have. I am not a fan of Jeff Sessions, however what you all are saying about him being racist and loving the KKK is false.

Let me just further add that without Republican's like me (and there are many of us) this battle to repeal cannabis prohibition will not be won. We all need to work together to get the job done.

I am, I am also looking forward to the mid term so hopefully we can pick up a stronger majority than we have. I am not a fan of Jeff Sessions, however what you all are saying about him being racist and loving the KKK is false.

You know where the klan stuff comes from, right? Sessions said "I used to think the KKK was ok, until I found out they smoked pot." He has admitted to saying this, but claims it was a joke. Guy is a total POS.

I'm a libertarian, so I don't care for either of the parties.

Let me just further add that without Republican's like me (and there are many of us) this battle to repeal cannabis prohibition will not be won. We all need to work together to get the job done.

BS, he was denied a judgeship in Alabama in the eighties because they knew what a racist pig he is.

When I was a boy there was a television show called laugh in. Jeff Sessions reminds me of a fellow named Artie Johnson. " very interesting, but stupid." If you read your history, you will see that the politicians never, ever listened to the people. God gave us all a free will. I would like to think that most of us understand that we need to use this to do good and especially find a way to express love. I think President Trump is digging himself a big hole. Can he dig himself out of it? We must be patient and not be scared. Fear leads to anger. Anger blocks intelligent thought. Peace to all and may God bless.

When I was a boy there was a television show called laugh in. Jeff Sessions reminds me of a fellow named Artie Johnson. " very interesting, but stupid." If you read your history, you will see that the politicians never, ever listened to the people. God gave us all a free will. I would like to think that most of us understand that we need to use this to do good and especially find a way to express love. I think President Trump is digging himself a big hole. Can he dig himself out of it? We must be patient and not be scared. Fear leads to anger. Anger blocks intelligent thought. Peace to all and may God bless.
I think to compare Sessions with Arte Johnson is not very fair to Mr. Johnson. He was a comedic mind while Jeff Sessions is a documented racist and misogynist by his own words and actions. I'm patient but I'm not going to standby while Trump and Sessions take us back down some draconian path to the pre-civil rights days. Nor should we be angry, but alert and ready to fight the good fight when the federal swat teams roll into Denver, Seattle, and Portland this summer.

Back
Top Bottom