Just got legal--a quick question about sedation vs. stimulation

Gothmog

I got my card about a week ago, based on a diagnosis of ADHD and insomnia due mainly to the prescribed stimulant I'm already on for that. I've had good experiences with the sativa strains, so hope to cut down on the stimulants a bit. Secondly, I'm hoping the right dosage of a typical indica will help me sleep at night, at least occasionally.

I'm not a big fan of daily smoking, so I recently made my first small batch of tincture (Thanks to the helpful responses I got in my thread about it over here. Now, the strain I made it from is supposed to be mostly indica, and therefore should be sedating.

I took one milliliter mixed in with some root beer, at 8PM. Sure enough, I could feel it kicking in about an hour later and it was just a nice mellow, relaxing sensation, and about what I expect. We stayed up watching TV for about two more hours and went to sleep. But by this time I wasn't really tired anymore. I still felt high--not "stoned", definitely, but with a buzz--but now I was wide awake, too. I eventually did get to sleep, but probably I could still work on the nuances of dosage.

I've never heard of anyone feeling really stimulated from MJ, but I'm wondering if I took too much. Is it possible for small dose to be sedating and a larger dose to be stimulating?

Were you unable to sleep because the tincture provided a stimulant affect, or were you unable to sleep because the tincture made you feel good and you were subconsciously staying awake to prolong the feeling?

If the latter, maybe a solution would be to just take the tincture a couple of hours earlier. Sometimes people are tired after their "buzz" goes away.

I know nothing of tinctures, but some root beers are loaded w/ sugar and caffeine.

The subconscious thing is probably the better answer. A lot of mental stimulation and satisfaction goes into creating something. Kind of like after getting into a fight or that 1st sexual encounter with someone you'd had your eye on; your brain doesn't want to stop even though the party may be over.

Keep at it and see if the results are different. And yes, I have experienced stimulating effects from MJ, but my mental state at those times were always a factor. Sometimes stress, excitement, adrenaline, imagination, anticipation, reminiscence, or any combination of these feelings play into my sleep patterns and if the feelings are strong enough then the sleepy effects of MJ are negated.

I know nothing of tinctures, but some root beers are loaded w/ sugar and caffeine.

The subconscious thing is probably the better answer. A lot of mental stimulation and satisfaction goes into creating something. Kind of like after getting into a fight or that 1st sexual encounter with someone you'd had your eye on; your brain doesn't want to stop even though the party may be over.
You're probably right. It was better the second night. As for the caffeine, probably it wasn't much of a factor. What with the ADHD and all, I have a quite high tolerance for stimulants.

I'm sure you're right about the subconscious factor too. The success that crowned my attempt to concoct tincture was quite satisfying, indeed.

usually if i really want to sleep and am having a hard time, i smoke a lot.. I'm usually too stoned to move and just kind of drift away into sleep. I have ADHD so I know what it's like to constantly have your mind going in different directions, but I learned that because I was so used to this pattern, when I would get stoned, I would continue thinking in a million directions at once, but after learning to control your mind better you can stay focused on one thing and it helps relax your mind and body..

Maybe I'm just rambling but I think that bowl is creeping up, so I'm gonna sit back and ride the wave.

usually if i really want to sleep and am having a hard time, i smoke a lot.. I'm usually too stoned to move and just kind of drift away into sleep.
Well, catatonia does usually promote sleep at that :) . Being that stoned isn't something I like to do very often, though.

You're probably right. It was better the second night.
FTR, in case anyone comes along later and searches for this question, I also found that it helped to halve the dose, so half a cc rather than a whole cc. Of course that's just this batch, next time will probably be different.

Have you tried making some righteous full-dome clear-melt hash oil yet? That might send you to dreamland. Or at least leave you doing a very good imitation of same.

Back
Top Bottom