Just made the switch from HPS to LED, have some questions

justin038

i just made the switch to LED from HPS and i read somewhere that you don't need to water as much with LED. how can i tell if im over watering? i used to water twice a day because the HPS dried my plants out real bad.

note: these are the same plants i used to use HPS with, but i changed to LED because i was worried about how the excess heat from HPS was affecting my plants. should i continue watering twice a day because that's what these plants are used to? or should i change the watering schedule because i changed the lights?

if it makes a difference, im using a dirt genius 280watt high output LED grow light.

Hi Justin,
You will find that the rate soil drys out is related to the environment the plants are in. The room temp, humidity, thickness of soil all play factors. But, the thing that will effect the nutrient uptake the most is photosynthesis. Think of it as your plants using light to split water molecules to capture the positive hydrogens and releasing the oxygens back into the atmosphere. The more your plants can perform photosynthesis, the more water they will need to split.
Every LED is different so this will really depend on how well your LED is designed to fuel plant growth. If it's equal to HPS you will see similar responses, same as if it's worse or better. You should be able to gauge how well things are going by top growth, bottom growth, and water uptake.
Good luck, hope your grow goes well!

The room will tend to not be as dry with LEDs since the AC is running less so you have a couple of effects going on, in general expect to use less water so you might have to dial up your nutrients a bit, TS has the fool proof method just check it, if over water is a concern, and it should be for everyone, I'd say use fabric pots of some sort they really cut down on the danger of too much water, it's a good move using LEDs just don't expect miracles you still got to give them some juice(wattage) if you want them to be juicy.

Thanks. Great tips, the finger test is working well. I check the plants twice a day and have been watering only when the soil is dry. Growth looks real good with the LED lights and you're right, I’ve been able to have a lot more control over the temperature of the room since they don’t run as hot.

I use 40% TLO soil and 60% coco fiber in smart pots in my garden I use 3 gallon smart pots and once the roots go thru the bottom I set the smart pot on top of another 3 gallon smart pot, With the Lush Lighting Dominator my Plants take in 50% more water allowing my plants to grow faster so watering less and dialing more nutrients is only necessary if your LED isn't fueling photosynthesis properly I use to only water every few days! Now my plants take in 15 gallons each a week Drain to waste with three plants that's 45 gallons a week! Hydro LED Light | Lush Lighting | 888-960-4LED check us out!

Man I wish I had access to all this cool stuff where I live. Smart pots and anything of that sort all would have to be imported.

Someone out of come up with a Smart Pot designed so that it could be given to a seamstress and a bunch made easily. Seems like they are made out of felt or something.

Anyway as far as LED lights are concerned, I think it's more a matter that they aren't so hot so they aren't drying things out as quickly.

The weight test is pretty good too. Pick up the plants after you have watered them and feel how heavy they are. You will get used to feeling that amount of weight. Then when they feel much lighter, they probably need water. I like the finger test too.

Your watering twice a day? I've never heard of anyone doing that. I've got 3 plants flowering under an LED in 5 gallon pots and I water every 3 days. A real good soakiing and then let them dry out. Even my seedlings in SOLO cups only get watered every other day.

Areoponics under LEDS--a match perfect-- I grow white Widow -- weird variety--.during veg. Light 24/7. --- I use the sea of green
-----short cycle.-- if U like.hydro-- U' ll.love aero-- Live free!!

I found an "instamatic" soil moisture reader at a yard sale. Best tool I own for the garden. It has a reading from 1-10, 10 being completely saturated soil and 1 being dry. Works extremely well, accurate, and will help keep the guesswork out and keep your plants healthy. I can even tell after using it so long how much water to add depending on the reading I get as well as how my plants are functioning and their growth cycles. I would recommend looking for one online if you can't find one locally. It really is worth the effort.

Yes, when photosynthesis is operating at peak performance, plants will require plenty of water. The more the better. Cannabis does not require a lot of nutrients when it's growing naturally. Outdoor farmers would never allow PPM levels to reach that of what indoor farmers use. This is the most efficient plant on earth. Proof is that this plant can grow in 1 year as tall as it takes most trees 10 years to grow. A field of hemp can also be harvested twice a year and never need resting. And, cannabis produces cannabinoids. No other plant this planet can do this. This is why lighting is so important and how Lush LED's have become far superior to HID.
We start off watering slow, once every other day on small plants. The dry period helps the roots to stretch to where it's still wet, but it's not helping the plant to have a majority of the root mass dry and not being utilized. Once the roots start to pop out of the bottom of the smart pot we begin to water once a day. We do this so the roots will branch off more. We recommend using a light media like peat moss or coir blended with soil in a breathable container. This reduces restriction on the roots. Once in flower, containers would be dried out completely in 24 hours. Successful growers using this method have a intelligent watering system (IWS) in place.

most new growers tend to overwater - I know that I did. Lots of good advice here. I also recently added the moisture meter as a part of the routine.

Overwatering also can lead to problems with bugs and mold etc.

Try the "lift the pot" method to feel if it is relatively heavy or light. A little experience will get you on the right track.

I also just added a LED to the flower room. I made the mistake of having the light too close to the plant. They got bleached / burned a little - keep the light at least 12" above.

Hi. I'm a newbie here & need some help. I've ordered a Pro-Grow 400X LED & my grow room is 4'x4'x8'. I will have a fan & filter for the smell. Will I have to install a separate exhaust fan for the heat that the 400X generates? I live in a mild climate & the grow room is air conditioned.

I apologize if my question is in the wrong forum.

Thanks, for your help.

Seer

Back
Top Bottom