K.I.S.S. my CFL reflector

SmokzAlot

Here I am am with another low buck version of K.I.S.S. applied to simple but effective CFL lighting.

In my effort to create a portable and movable fixture, I also wanted a functional and easy to maintain or adaptive appliance. So I came up with this multifunctional idea. Wattage is flexible, heat has been no issue, weight is minimal, cost of material low. I had all on hand from my hording of past projects or new. The most significant material I am finding now a days is "Reflectix". I have used it in constructing myGrow Room, myGrowBox, and now creating reflectors. From years as a metals fabricator and builder I knew what I could do with this material and some simple tools. a roll of good quality foil tape and I am off and running.

A single fixture is where it starts. Y's and and such from there as you need. The angle of the dangle is parallel as it can be with the center line of the bulbs as well, as it makes sense to me. I have configured up to 8 CFL bulbs, varying from 26w to 150w with no issues. I see no sense in going beyond 8, it's time for HID at that point in my K.I.S.S. approach. Cost vs heat and so on. I could see multiple fixtures with this approach to achieve more light but you loose on the other end of the issues. But it is an easily sustainable system with minimal failure and or loss when it occurs. What's losing a few CFL's vs a 400w HID and the grow goes dark till fixed. Personal choices..

I also see no reason this project can not be scaled as needed. Weight is not an issue. Do remember the vent holes. It gets quite hot otherwise. As my father preached "heat is the enemy of electricity" It degrades or shortens it's life span. In some delicate circuits it kills. Heat is resistance as well. It steals from itself in that respect if light is what you desire. Incandescent vs Florescent as an example. As Einstein tried to teach us, energy only transforms into something else. It doesn't go away.

Do notice this is not a cone shape, more parabolic in nature.

IMG_0457b.jpg

IMG_045915.JPG

Deployed over a kitty litter pan to give you an idea of its relative size.
IMG_046014.JPG

Re: K.I.S.S. myCFL reflector

More than glad to share all build details, if of interest to anyone. All you need is a single piece of pc paper, tape measure or rule, marker, scissors, tape, and a reflectix like material. And of course your light socket for vertical use ready to go. I used one on hand that was a universal mount exterior flood type. All metal construction with wired and molded 2 wire cord. Hung with a 1/4" rope an eye hook or two and a rope cleat. Again K.I.S.S. whenever possible.

My intentions are to use this for spot supplement or backup lighting. I am currently testing is as a veg lamp as shown. All part of the new grow space under construction.

K.I.S.S. light hanger
IMG_046711.JPG

IMG_046810.JPG

Nice man im diggin this! If I didn't have to grow in a stupid dresser I would use this for sure, Way to use your noodle! Happy smokin buddy

MudRunner, You could very easily scale this down to fit your application. I can imagine 2-3 CFLs overhead inside the cabinet. Each sporting a reflector. Better yet make them movable much like a clamp light.. Now that presents the option of why not just buy a clamp light with reflector? One could but my approach is more for working with available or easily gotten materials. Adapting to the options that you have before yourself. With a little creativity things can be boiled down the their simplest of forms for a lot less. I hope to offer alternatives to ideas, products use, and or methods of construction techniques. Nothing new just reminding we can do it ourselves. Reflected light needs to be captured and or directed asap with CFL more than others due to its lack of intensity. My attempt was to refelct quickly and with focus of sorts.

/ 8 \ / 8 \

Crude drawing representing 2 hanging single CFLs with reflectors. I would hang independently for optimum use in your limited space. Could easily run 2 CFLs in each hood, with wattage options. I have grown well in a 2.4 sq ft space with 3-6 CFLs of the 100 up to 150w range with decent growth and manageable heat with simple PC fans. Currently that box now runs a 150w HPS and two 200w CFLs. Still using PC fans for cooling. It's all in myGrowBox. You will find lighting and the heat it generates is the real issue. As you strive to add more light. My practices have shown if it will fit within the enclosure, it will work if you can manage the heat safely. Maintain safe clearances from combustible materials with HID lighting even more so. Direct contact should not be made in any situation to a heated part or source of the lighting appliance. Examples are but not limited to the bulb and reflector. Each fixture will have to be evaluated. Notice most HID are free hanging.

What is the reflective material. I like it. I should of showed you what kind of cord and socket im using. Its a 4 way socket with 2 200 watt & 2 100 watt bulbs hanging. My hood will slide up and down the cord. I could do it just like my big hood. This 1 is down sized from that one. The only thing i did was cut the mesurments in half. I will show you the exstensions I made for it. Its a 42 inch umbrella hood and with my exstensions its now about 50 - 52 inches now.
Just like you say K.I.S.S. I just try to think outside the box Its to bright in there.
PEACE and keep the ideas coming and I will do the same. Between you and me we can make some stuff and make someones life easier.LMAO keep in touch

What is the reflective material. I like it. I should of showed you what kind of cord and socket im using. Its a 4 way socket with 2 200 watt & 2 100 watt bulbs hanging. My hood will slide up and down the cord. I could do it just like my big hood. This 1 is down sized from that one. The only thing i did was cut the measurements in half. I will show you the extensions I made for it. Its a 42 inch umbrella hood and with my extensions its now about 50 - 52 inches now.
Just like you say K.I.S.S. I just try to think outside the box Its to bright in there.
PEACE and keep the ideas coming and I will do the same. Between you and me we can make some stuff and make someones life easier.LMAO keep in touch

The material is called Reflectix. It is sold in home improvement store under one name or another. Basically mylar sandwich with a bubble wrap core. Compressed to about 1/4" or so. Has little weight. I have also seen it in a grow shop in rolls as well. It has some cardboard like rigidity to it. So it can be worked and shaped much like cardboard or similar heavy material. Good for containing or reflecting radiant light/heat in many applications.

What do I like best about it? I can work it with the most basic of tools. A knife and tape and/or staples.

A pic does not serve it well. It is but one light socket with multiple wye's installed based on how many bulbs you have. I used one extension (has a plug on its side) directly into the socket, and wye from there. The first extension moves the starting piece out into the reflector..

Good job pal!! I use cfl's for veg at seedling stages and i also made my own reflectors but thats for horizontal light setups out of a coke can.. Cut both ends off and cut down the middle and rollit out, u should have a rectangular piece of aluminum then on the non reflective side, score 3 lines 33 cm apart from top to bottom and it should almost look like a bat wing reflector. tape one end around the base of ur cfl(the plastic bit near the socket screw) and wala, a horizontal shade for cfl. There s a vid online i think too basically the same. Good luk and Happy Harvesting;)

Back
Top Bottom